“Adequate and affordable”

Ranked #43 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Santa Cruz, California
“Adequate and affordable”
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Our room was on the sixth floor facing the city. The view was wonderful and the room adequate and clean. Unfortunately, the restaurant at the top of the hotel had no air conditioning at the time so we couldn't enjoy that experience. But for breakfast I would recommend walking around the back of the hotel and there hidden from view is a Waffle House.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Stone Mountain
Reviewed July 5, 2009

Spent the 4th of July weekend at the Riverview. This was my 1st time in Charleston. The hotel is very old yet it seems to have been updated somewhat. The room was decent, the carpet was old, and the wall unit A/C worked well just made a lot of noise! There was an iron an hair dryer and the TV had free HBO.
The best thing about this hotel is the view! The restaurant up stairs has a view that is un beliveable. You can see for miles! The bar is a great place to grab a drink after being out all day, and many locals stop by as well. The pool which is on the roof is just ok, but the beach is a short drive away.
They offer a shuutle to downtown to drop and pick you up every 2 hours. This really does in handy. The location is wonderful, you can find your way to all the points of interest.

This is not a 5 or 4 star hotel but it is great if you need an affordable place to stay. I loved Charleston, any will be back, if I get a decent rate I will be back at the Holiday Riverview!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Mobile, Alabama, USA
Reviewed July 3, 2009

this hotel is very long in the tooth. the carpet in our room was wet (hope i don't get a fungus) from the poorly functioning a/c. food pretty standard so better bet for breakfast is cracker barrel. leaving the hotel is taking your life in your hands as there is a blind curve to the right with cars traveling a minimum of 60 so rent something you would have used in the old atlanta interstate ramps. no to mention check in time of 4pm is inconvenient.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
north carolina
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed here for a conference nearby at The Citadel. The photos show a pristine hotel with great views. However upon closer look, this hotel has clearly seen better days that what it is now.

Check-in was very rude. My colleague and I waited at the front desk. "The" clerk who was on duty was on the phone shuffling paper did not even acknowledge us -- a nod or a mouthed "just a sec" would have done. What really made me upset was that two or three other employees saw us, including a manager, and didn't even ask "are you being helped?"

I was checked into one of the handicap accessible rooms--they didn't give me a choice. I had hoped for a tub and this room only had a shower. Cleanliness was barely acceptable. My view was horrible on the backside towards land. Worst yet, all the balconies you see in the photos have long since been closed off. High point was that the wi-fi did work well.

If I wasn't crashing for just one night, I would have asked for another room. And I do hope this was an isolated experience. Just book with caution, verify your side/view, and check your room out first before settling in.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Altoona, Iowa
Reviewed June 17, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Riverview June 12th - 15th. It was just a long girl's weekend, so we were looking for something reasonable. At check in the staff was very friendly and fast. The room was clean and large enough for 2 girls. We did not have much of a view, however we were right next to the pool. We did start out at the rooftop bar, and the staff there was extremely helpful and fun. They have great happy hours on Monday - Friday, and if you are a Priority Club member it is even better. We had Bay Breezes for $1.95 for 2 hours, a very great deal! We found that there are a lot of locals that will come to the bar during the week for happy hour also. This made it nice to get their ideas on great places to go.

The hotel is not within walking distance of downtown, however they do have the shuttle that runs every two hours, and was always right on time. We did wish it ran a little more often, as we had to plan our day around that schedule if we wanted a free ride. Taxis cost right around $7.00 to most places downtown from the hotel. We always took a taxi back to the hotel at night as the shuttle only runs until 9:30 at night. I would definitely recommend yellow taxi, the drivers were all great and showed up very fast. I would also recommend putting the taxi numbers in your cell phone, you will have to call to get a taxi, no flagging one down. We did try out the breakfast buffet on Sunday and was not impressed at all. Not much of a selection, just basic, eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, sausage, and pancakes. I was really wishing they had some biscuits and gravy. The wait staff again was really great! If you do have a car the parking is great! Plenty of spaces. We rented a car on priceline for a total of $62 for our 4 day trip. The cost of a taxi from the airport is $30 one way, so it was worth it for us to get the car. This made it possible for us to take a trip to Sullivan's Island also.

I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone that wants a reasonably priced hotel that is clean, comfortable, and not a far distance to downtown. It is also very easy to find if you are driving yourself!

We did find some great places downtown for drinks and food. Hanks Seafood was wonderful, the best she crab soup that we had. Also Henrys had some great shrimp. The griffon had some wonderful fish and chips. last but not least if you like cheap drinks and good company definitely try Big Johns on East Bay. We heard that Cru Cafe was also wonderful, but it was closed the night we were going to try it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank jamerican88
Davidson NC
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I travel to Charleston many times a year and have stayed in many of the area hotels downtown and Folly Beach, My family has always seen the "round Holiday Inn" as a landmark. It's been there for as long as I can remember, which is one of the reasons I never stayed there as I thought it must be old and run down... but that was not the case at all when we booked 3 nights in April. The room appeared to have been renovated semi-recently. It was clean, free of smells, the linens all looked new. The bathroom is rather small as compared to newer hotels. The room was a little on the small side but seemed larger because of it's pie shape. The hotel is circular (which affords those panoramic views). Never at any point did I feel cramped in the room with my husband and two children. The room had a coffee pot, no fridge or microwave but it would have gone used had it been there. We booked a 'non view' room which was cheaper. We didn't have a view of downtown but we did have an amazing panoramic view of the marsh and river from our upper floor room. The top floor lounge and restaurant had breathtaking views. Even if you don't stay there, go and have brunch or a sunset drink... you won't be disappointed. The view it's self the gem of this hotel and you're not going to find anything like it anywhere else. Now if your looking for fru fru amenities, go downtown and pay the 250-400 per night. But at $78.00 and "kids eat free" we extended our stay another 2 nights. I would recommend a higher floor as the hotel is flanked on either side by busy roads. Noise was not a problem higher up. One night the hotel was fully booked with cruisers and it was still quiet. The roads gave us a straight shot downtown one way and the beach opposite way. I am a stickler about hotels being clean and quiet and my expectations were exceeded with this hotel. We have already booked again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank FromYourMother
Romulus, MI
Reviewed May 29, 2009

Pros -Suggest you book higher level room to enjoy view. Convenient shuttle, though there was a wait getting back to hotel. Restaurant on roof has beautiful view of water, bridges, and boats. Best grits ever! Reasonably priced breakfastt buffet. Free internet in lobby. Rental car place down the street.

Cons-Weird smell in bathrooom, icemaker on 8th and 9th floor (our floor) not working. Bathtub and face bowl were not thoroughly cleaned first night, floor not vacuumed. Requested different housekeeping staff for next time and room was not cleaned at all the next day. Complained to mgt and that night was comped.

• Stayed May 2009