“horrible breakfast, NOT able to walk to downtown”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Ranked #54 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed June 17, 2007

Breakfast was absolutely and completely horrible. All of the food was
inedible.

Also, while as the crow flies the hotel is close to downtown, you CANNOT walk downtown. Spend the extra $20 and stay on the same island.

Stayed: June 2007
1  Thank traveler11217

Reviewed May 16, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for three nights. It is a great location and easy to get anywhere from/to. The rate was good, considering the location on the water. A lot of renovations are needed, which will of course demand a higher room rate.
The front desk clerks definitely need additional training and an attitude adjustment. I will return there.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2007

If you have children (or even if you don't) you will want to read this...

On the morning our stay at this hotel, my 5 year old daughter was standing next to her grandmother making a waffle in the breakfast area. This waffle IRON was set back from the edge of the counter and was behind a plexiglass casing. It SEEMED safe enough. However, upon flipping the waffle, the IRON completely COLLASPED and caused a chain
of tumbling objects including a quart sized pitcher of syrup on top of my mother and daughter. Luckily, the waffle iron missed my daughter.

We got the front office manager, Lionel. Lionel (last name withheld) is a snippy little man who told us that "They had not had any problems with it before now and that it was our fault for letting a child operate it." NO ONE SAID A CHILD WAS OPERATING IT! Hello? She is 5! The breakfast attendant righted the iron continued with unknowing and unsuspecting guests who could be BURNED at any second.

After a heated conversation, we asked for the corporate office information and HE REFUSED TO GIVE IT TO US! He said " We would have to get it on our own." Nice guy, huh?

Obviously, I don't have to elaborate on the manner in which this was handled. This is a HUGE SAFTEY CONCERN that was brushed under the rug. Don't even get me started on the condition of the rooms...
filthy.

This hotel has recently changed management. It has obviously been for
the worse. Save your money and the frustration.

• Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank jetprincess01
Reviewed April 30, 2007

We wanted to see Charleston on a hunch and did not have any reservation until we reach the town. The hotels was fully booked for that day and it took us a while to find out that only a few of the hotels still have rooms and La Quinta is one of them. This was an Hampton Inn before as the elevator permits still use the old hotel operator name.

We step into the lobby around midnight and negotiate a rate of $109/night for 2 nights. We were given a room key to a king bed room. The room was large with a tiny window look out to the boat quay. The room is rather dark and smell a bit like mildew but we were lucky not to find anything of such nature.

The bathroom is in an average state, not perfectly spic-and-span but acceptable. The amenities are some standard shampoo and conditioner.

The service here is unlike the usual southern hospitality, it was a bit cold like a large city (Atlanta comes to mind) and certainly the worst aspect of this hotel.

From the hotel to downtown is great, just zip by the new highway and in 10 minutes you are there. From downtown back, you have to make a U-Turn at a traffic light after passing the bridge to get to the hotel.

In short, unless I ran into the same problems of not able to find a room, there are better choices.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed April 7, 2007

Often stay in La Quintas since we have a pet. Found the cleanliness of this hotel to be above average for pet friendly inns, as are most all La Quintas. Easy to find if you arrive coming from downtown. Every morning after breakfast we easily drove to a downtown parking lot near the market where we could park in the shade. Will stay here again.

Two complaints... The wi-fi internet service can be spotty depending on where your room is located - had to go to the lobby with my laptop to get reliable service for email, etc. Second complaint - breakfast was terribly crowded with at least four busloads of middle school students and senior citizens. Learned that hours had been shortened to 9AM close for food. Those of us who are regular patrons would definitely appreciate a 10 AM closing since it's almost impossible to literally elbow your way through the early morning crowds.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed March 24, 2007

This hotel was very difficult to get to, and was still too far from Downtown Charleston (the whole purpose of staying at this hotel). The shower was terrible, one of the double beds was up against the wall, making it difficult to get in and out of the bed. I paid almost $175.00 for this below standard room in the suburbs of Charleston. It was a total waste of money. Also the pool wasn't even open and they didn't have a hot tub. It was 85 degrees out while we were there.

I'm also not one to ever complain about a hotel, and often look to the bright side no matter what.

This hotel was terrible and the only good thing was the staff or one very nice man that went out of his way to help out.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2006

I called the Inn the day before we were scheduled to arrive to confirm our reservation. The evening attendant seemed to have a hard time operating the computer and after several attempts to locate my reservation she told me I'd need to call the 1-800 number to confirm. I called them and they were able to confirm my reservation.

When I arrived the same attendant that I spoke to the night before was on duty. She told me she was unable to locate our reservation. I explained that I was able to confirm the night before. She insisted I had no reservation and that we'd need to book another room. At that point another attendant arrived at the desk and said that they were sold out of rooms the following night. I explained that one of those rooms was reserved to me. The second attendant then took charge and was able to locate my reservation very easily.

When we got to our room, the main light switch was missing a cover plate and there was exposed wiring. Someone had recently painted the wall by the air conditioning unit and there was paint spilled on the carpet. In the bathroom the sink faucet was not connected to the countertop, so when we turned the water on, the entire faucet would raise up from the sink and pull the water pipes up with it. The air conditioning vent was covered in dust and there was mold growing on the wall.

When we were ready for bed, we called down to the front desk for more pillows. The attendant that had originally failed to find our reservation told us she was busy and asked us to call her back later and ask for the pillows. We went down ourselves to get the pillows.

The next day the house keeper came by to clean the room while we were still getting ready. I told her we would be out of the room within the hour and asked her to come back then. She asked if I wanted service to the room and I told her that I did. When we got back to the room that night, the room had not been cleaned. We had to call down for more towels.

Overall, it was a very disappointing stay. It was not worth the money and we will never stay at that location again. We were trying to avoid spending a ton of money but I have to say we paid the price. The accomodations were not adequate and I recommend that anyone who considers this location reconsider spending a little bit more money for decent acommodations.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple