“LaQuinta Charleston”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Ranked #54 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 25, 2014

rooms and facility were below standards. Dirty rooms, carpets general areas were not clean. Food was downsized greatly from previous stays. Staff was friendly and responsive. Facility is in need of upgrading. Facility can be

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Geraldmaryan G

Reviewed March 23, 2014

March 22, 2014 was our unfortunate stay at this place.
We have stayed at La Quinta's several times and never expected the surprise we got from this place. In my opinion the WORST hotel room ever.
The room was filthy, the bed had a dirty spot in the middle of the blanket that looked like a bloody nose pick (booger), the hall carpet looked like it had never been steam cleaned and looked like it had not vacuumed for several days. The staff was crabby and rude. We should have known what this place was like once we meet the first person on the staff. They acted like they could care less about the guests or anything else. In my experiance this is a serious management problem and management most likly has the same attitude. "You only have one attitude pick a good one" certainly does not apply here.
Well we got here late and everything in town was sold out so we decided to try and make the best of it. Thank goodness the room had two beds so we did not have to sleep in the boogers... :-) The bed was comfortable and we did sleep OK but I was concerned about security as the outside doors were left unlocked and did not require a room key to gain entry, SHAME on this place. In these times there is no excuse for this lack of concern for a guest in a hotel, again a manegment error.
We got up early in the morning and took showers and went for breakfast, OMG what a disapointment that was, there was nothing there but a bunch of cheap carb foods. The coffee was good but the cups were really small, I finally went to my car and got a real coffee cup, several people asked me where they could get a cup like mine, I could have made a fortune selling coffee cups. I wish I woiuld have known that ahead of time as it would have helped offset ths $200 price to stay in this DUMP fo one crappy night.
With every vacation there is a real surprise and a real disapointment, guess we got both in on swoop at what is most likely one of the worst hotel in the country.
I would not reccommend this place to my worst enemy if I had one. Drive the extra miles and go someplace else.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kidsabc
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Arrived about noon. The location is great. Desk person, on the phone, snapped at us before greeting us that check-in wasn't until 3 pm. We asked if we could eat our lunch in the breakfast area while we waited. The tables were filthy. The microwave interior was disgustingly filthy. We cleaned off a table and ate. Then went to use the bathrooms off the lobby. The floors were coated with old filth and the ice machine outside the ladies room was out of order. I've stayed happily at several La Quinta properties, but there is no way I would have stayed here. I'm glad we had to wait because I might not have known how bad it was until after we had checked in. We left and found a room very nearby for more money but it was lovely.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
2  Thank MbKJerseyShore
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I try to keep an open mind. This hotel had some very good reviews and I have no idea how that happened. I should have paid attention to the "recurring themes" in the not-so-good reviews. We paid a lot for our room, by my standards. We were put in a dumpy motel-like room in the annex, facing a major highway. Stained wall, stained lampshade, stained desk chair - ugh. The room felt dirty and definitely did need a good, thorough cleaning. Loud traffic noises throughout the night. The "high speed internet" is a joke as is the free breakfast. If you like waffles, bagels or cereal and tiny coffee cups, you will be fine. I did give them some credit for the bed (very comfortable and clean - we thoroughly inspected it based on the room condition) and the shower was a nice one. There was no parking available near our room, which was okay for us but might not have been for others. And, yes, there were dogs everywhere, but we knew that this was a pet friendly hotel when we booked it. Next time (and we will be coming to Charleston frequently over the next few months), we will most definitely stay elsewhere, probably in a privately owned condo in Folly Beach - similar rates, good location. Unfortunately, this experience will also taint my opinion of other La Quinta hotels.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere, but if you do choose this hotel, don't stay in the annex.
3  Thank BusyTrips
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We loved staying here. Great Southern Hospitality Charm at a reasonable price. We stayed here for one night in Charleston. We got a ride to the downtown to the Macintosh on King Street for dinner. We took a cab back (approximately $20). I saw families with dogs, which is nice for them. The beds are comfortable, the bathroom is clean, and the room was nice. I don't remember having WiFi issues. Breakfast spread is good too - waffles, apples, oranges, apple juice, OJ, bagels / toast.

1  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed March 6, 2014

I have been a loyal customer of LaQuinta for years but this place was bad enough to change my mind about that. And to think I wasted 18,000 pts to stay here. Okay, the location is okay and there is a view of the marina on the one side of the hotel. There are two buidlings - the second building has outside entrances and is noisy. Our room was not what I call clean - dust bunnies in the corners. Cracked wall in bathroom. tub scratched. Generally, the room looked run down. The toilet was very slow flushing - even though we did no "serious" business to cause a problem. Wifi was next to non existent - you could connect but too minutes to go from one page to the next if it would even go. Just gave up even trying. Probably the most unfriendly staff I have encountered.

Room Tip: Request a room in the first building if you want an inside entrance
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Pat B
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We asked for a room with a view, which we got. They accepted our dog, which was good. After that, it was a failure. For 121.00 we got (or didn't get) wrinkled sheets and bedskirt, no mini fridge or microwave which I've always had any place I've stayed. Noisy guests slamming doors during the night and before dawn. A diesel pickup truck with a loud muffler who just had to drive back and forth a million times right past our door. Seriously awful WiFi, meaning I should have left my electronics home. No hot water, which meant 2 Luke warm 1 minute showers. The guest before us apparently took a serious bowl movement which couldn't be flushed entirely there for we could not use the facilities like we needed to until the line was snaked. Getting locked out of our room on our second nite which meant a walk to the lobby only to come face to face with a receptionist who could have cared less. Not even a "we're sorry"... Check out was the same way. These folks have no customer service skills at all. Not even a"thanks for staying with us" but on a positive side, my little dog had a ball sniffing out the poop that was left behind by those who don't feel the need to clean up after their four legged family members. I also had one more stay which was at the Comfort Inn. Wonderful, courteous, attentive, smiles and actual friendly conversation. Loved it. Comfort Inn is now our go to lodging in the future.

Room Tip: I wouldn't if I were you. Just MY opinion of course.
4  Thank LAS12211