“Ok room, terrible service”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Ranked #54 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband owns a property management company, so we are familiar with the proper upkeep of a property...this one is no model of great service or presentation, There was standing water all over the property (including the pool deck...major hazard), well into the afternoon after rain had stopped, the halls smelled, the lobby was slippery, mold and mildew was outside the front entranc of the building, and don't get me started on the desk service. When I arrived, there were 2 clerks at the desk, one serving a guest in front of me, and the other one, who was having a personal conversation with another employee. The employee was standing on the guest side in front of where we should stand! I literally had to wait for her to end her conversation and then the clerk said May I help you?" I was stunned because I had assumed she was not trained to check people in and had been standing in the other line....because surely customer service could not be THAT bad. The view FROM the hotel is beautiful and the convenience to downtown has drawn us to stay there many previous stays, sadly, there seems to be some poor management and we will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gopiratesarrrgh
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Very clean room. Had a very responsive staff. My only advice is that the hotel extend breakfast by one hour. I'd stay here again and recommend the hotel to travelers or business people. It is convenient to downtown Charleston, James Island, and Johns Island. Nice restaurant with a river and harbor view within easy walking distance. We had an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I usually stay at this hotel when we visit Charleston. We checked in around 430 and was given a room on 4th floor where the halls had obviously not been vacuumed. Bummer. The bed was made but the room had obviously had not been cleaned. I had packed Clorox wipes and just cleaned the room myself ( I have no idea why I didn't call housekeeping instead??). Later that evening we had to call the front desk because the sheets needed to be changed The employee was very apologetic and sent someone up immediately. The other employee was visibly disgusted with the dirty bedcovers and was apologetic as well. The room was cleaned well the next three days and the bedcovers were fine. The staff was super nice and helpful. The hotel needs to be updated desperately. I will continue to stay at La Quinta's since I've had great experiences with them. I'm sure this was just an incident where someone had a bad day.

1  Thank elitessymom
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I recently stayed here with friends over the 4th of July for two nights. My friends booked the room online through Priceline.com and when we arrived we were pleased with the location and how it looked clean enough at first. Over all the room was great, only issues we had with the room it's self was that the mirrors had writting on them that had been scratched into them, you wouldn't really notice unless you were spending a few min looking in the mirror while getting checking your self out. The shower curtain didn't stay shut and the faucet for the tub had the color coding wrong, it was opposite of what it was supposed to have been. We stayed on the 3rd floor facing the back of the building in a smoking room, and it was near the dumpsters. There were mattresses and box springs near the dumpster that hadn't been hauled off yet. The outside hallway near the washer, dryer and ice machines had a few bits of trash laying around. The lady who checked us in was very friendly, I believe her name was Jaquelin, My friends and I packed our own food and had forgotten utensils, we came down to check for silverware and the drawers were dirty on the inside.But anyway over all the place was decent enough to stay again if I had to. It was quiet, the room was clean and the lady at the front desk in the morning was very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel over the last several years. I love it. Staff is friendly and helpful. Very clean, nice breakfast. They are the reason I started doing la quinta points rewards system. Great location, close to downtown charleston and folly beach, which I love!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013
A La Quinta traveler
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was looking for an affordable hotel that was dog-friendly for one night that was convenient to downtown and to Mt. Pleasant. We stayed in a king-size marina view room for $90. It was definitely a good buy. If you are looking for The Ritz, you will be greatly disappointed. This is a value hotel, and you will see some outdated furnishings and fixtures. The common areas could use some vacuuming. But the room was clean, we had a nice view, and there was NO extra charge for the dogs. It's less than a 10 minute drive to downtown Charleston, so if you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a room there, this is perfect. We will come back again. Oh, and we had dinner at California Dreaming, which is a parking lot away, and had great food, with waterfront dining.

Room Tip: It's worth the few extra dollars for the marina view.