“We like this hotel”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview
Ranked #54 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Room was clean and bright.
Breakfast was not so bad.
Though you have to drive when you visit the historic area, we could stay comfortably.
We think that this hotel is good for the price.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,115)

Reviewed October 13, 2011

This La Quinta is in a great location if you don't want to spend the money to stay downtown. It only takes 5 minutes to get downtown and is an easy trip. The hotel is one of the older ones, but has been refurbished, so the room and bathroom are updated. However, the door to our room wouldn't shut tight and we could hear people above us talking and moving about, plus a lot of talking outside. We had to call and ask for clean cups and more coffee.
The bed was comfortable and there was a nice TV. Breakfast is the typical La Quinta breakfast; it would be nice to have more cereal choices! There is only one restaurant nearby, California Dreamin. It was pretty good; not great. Front desk people were helpful.
So, it was OK, but I think I would look for something else if I were there again.

Room Tip: Ask for marina view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Filthy, nasty, dirty, and smelly. Non-smoking room reeks of stale smoke. HUGE skid mark in toilet when we arrived. New flat screen TVs does not change the fact that this place is a dump. My first and LAST LaQuinta experience.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car. It is filthy.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank midgatraveler
Reviewed October 5, 2011

When my fiance and I booked our weekend getaway at the La Quinta Inn we weren't expecting a really nice hotel, but we expected a lot more than what we got! When we checked in they said our room was ready, but when we got to our room the cleaners were still in it so we had to wait around in the parking lot for them to finish. When we finally got into the room it had a funny smell, only some of the lights worked, and the pictures on the wall had some sort of dried on liquid dribbled down it. There was also almost a whole inch gap inbetween the door and door frame, which let all the cold air and noise from outside in and also mosquitos - which turned into several mosquito bites throughout our stay. The hotel is dog friendly, and I am a dog lover, however I did not enjoy being woke up at 6 a.m. every morning by a group of dogs barking. Also, most of the dog owners did not pick up there dogs poop, so there was poop everywhere.
The price of this hotel was very reasonable for the area, which was why we booked here. Next time I will spend the extra money to stay somewhere nicer. The hotel staff was nice, not outstanding, but defiantly better than the rest of the hotel amenities. The one big positive of the hotel is the location, which is only a couple minute drive from downtown Charleston, and a short drive to all other Charleston attractions. The marina that the hotel is located at is also very pretty.
All in all, the hotel is old and needs alot of major changes. I would not stay here again, especially for a couple looking for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We do appreciate you taking the time to notify us regarding the difficulties you experienced during your recent stay at our hotel. We truly do apologize that your experience was not what you expected. It is our goal to make sure our guests stay happy and so it is with disappointment that I hear how you were unsatisfied with your room. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed and the appropriate actions has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring. I do hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Charleston to prove we are a great hotel. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 3, 2011

I was thrilled to find a hotel near Charleston that took dogs, one in which we could relax while visiting knowing our dogs were close by and also having their own vacation. Boy was I wrong! When you check in, you sign a paper agreeing to pay for any incidentals, not a problem. Well, what they fell to mention is if your dog barks, they will call you and tell you to return at that moment to quite your dog. The manager called me the second night of our stay and threatened to call Animal Control if I did not return right away to quite my dog, I stressed that I was in town for a conference and could not leave for another hour. He did not care, I apologized and told him she normally does not bark while traveling but obviously would for a moment if she heard knocking outside of our room. He had me in tears fearing that my dog would be taken away by Animal Control for barking, as a pet owner, can you imagine the horror? Upon returning to our room right away, she was surprisingly not barking at all, however a bassett hound down the hall was barking so loud you could hear him/her in the elevator..... hmmm...I will never, I repeat never stay at another LaQuinta after such a horrible experience.

Room Tip: If you have a dog, find another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We do appreciate you taking the time to notify us regarding your experience during your recent stay at our hotel. We are a pet friendly hotel and if you check into our hotel with a pet you do sign an agreement to follow our pet hotel policies. One of these policies is if your pet disturbs other guests we do ask you to handle the situation accordingly. As for your situation, your dogs were bothering the other guests staying next to your room (they called down to the desk several times). After receiving multiple complaints we had decided to contact you to see if you could calm your dog down so it does not bark and bother our other guests. Once we received a few more complaints and realized this situation was not handled, our General Manager - who was staying on property and verify it was your dog barking - contacted you that evening. We are truly sorry to make you feel the way you did but you must put yourself in our other guests shoes and see how they would feel if they were bothered with a barking dog all day long. Our pet policies are put into place for a reason and if you are not willing to follow them then our hotel is not the place for you and your pets. Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

I've stayed at this hotel at least 15 times in the past 5 years. I no longer think I will. Stayed for 3 nights and was very disappointed. Arrived Friday, and there was no internet (throughout my stay) limited TV stations, and ice machine was broke. My room wasnt even serviced the last day even though I left the hotel at 12Noon and returned at 8PM. The front desk clerk did refund my room rate for that day. The front desk staff are terrific, but that doesnt make up for the lousy conditions. This is now a "pet friendly" hotel which I wasnt aware of, and want no part of.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We do appreciate you taking the time to notify us regarding the difficulties you experienced during your stay with us this past weekend. We truly do apologize that your experience was not what you expected. It is our goal to make sure our guests stay happy and so it is with disappointment that I hear how you were unsatisfied with our service. Please be assured that the internet and limited TV station issues you have been resloved as of this past Tuesday. We unfortunately had to wait for a broken internet receiver to be shipped to the hotel and once it arrived our services were back up in business. I also do apologize that your room was not serviced during your last night here. I will talk to my housekeeping staff to find out what happend and make sure it does not happen again in the future. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring. I do hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Charleston to prove we are a great hotel. Thank you again.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

Property old needs re-do. Staff very nice. Directions to hotel poor!
One not 2 restaurants in walking distance.
Shuttle service "iffy" and hours short on weekdays.

Room Tip: Ask for "riverside" view in newer building.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We do appreciate you taking the time to notify us regarding your experienced during your recent stay with us . We truly do apologize that your experience was not what you expected. It is our goal to make sure our guests stay happy and so it is with disappointment that I hear how you were unsatisfied with our service. We are located in a newly developed area (with 1 great restaurant called California Dreaming) so it maybe difficult for some of our guests to find us but once you are here our staff is well knowledgable to help you find your way to different locations throughout the city. We do offer a downtown shuttle service (for a small daily fee) that runs from 10am-8pm Sunday through Thursday and 10am-Midnight on Friday and Saturday. If the shuttle times does not fit your needs than we are more than happy to contact a local taxi service for your to take. I do hope you will give us another chance the next time you are in Charleston to prove we are a great hotel. Thank you again.