“nice hotel nice area”

Ranked #51 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Jupiter, Florida
“nice hotel nice area”
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel on a recent fl to NY and back road trip and picked Charleston as a stop as we had never been there. We chose this based on trip advisor. The hotel was in a great area right off a marina with a great view. The hotel also provided shuttle service to and from Charleston.The staff at the desk were VERY friendly and accommodating,. I didn't realize la quinta was a pet friendly hotel. I do have pets but did not bring them but it seems alot of others did. It was probably the one turn off about this place because you could definitely smell and hear dogs.

Room Tip: Select a marina view definitely worth it, shuttle is 8.oo round trip and worth it also
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, July 13, 2011
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and provide a wide variety of great amenities for our guests to enjoy. We are a pet friendly hotel and we do our best to try to manage this to the best of our ability. Thank you again for your comments and we do look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed in King w/Marina view room. What we got was a very simple, very small and rather dirty motel-type room with an excuse for a marina view. Our view was to the exterior hallway, the parking lot, an ugly tree, and behind it all- what was the end of the marina that you can barely see. Horrible! There was hair in the bath tub.

Room Tip: there is no best room here
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. It is disappointing to learn that you were unhappy with your stay. We apologize that your experience was not what you expected from LaQuinta. It is our goal to make sure our guests stay happy and so it is with diappointment that I hear how you were unsatisfied with your room and view of the marina. I have address the issue with the cleaniness of your room with housekeeping so that any future guests do not have the same experience you had while staying at our hotel. We do hope you will give us another chance to prove we are the best value hotel in the Charleston area. Thank you again.

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I am an animal lover and while none were with me on this trip, I had the opportunity to pet many friendly dogs and talk to equally eager pet owners in the lobbies. The room was clean and while the furnishings were so-so, they were certainly adequate for my use. Breakfast did include fresh fruit and yogurt while a little heavy on the sugared carbs. Very convenient location. The staff were kind and very helpful with directions. I would certainly choose to stay here again

Room Tip: Use AARP if possible and check over several days.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. I wanted to take a moment to personally thank you for your review. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests because we are constantly striving to provide the best guest experiences at our hotel. So, I do thank you for taking the time to write about your great experience. We do hope to see you again the next time you are in the Charleston area.
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed July 3, 2011

We've been to Charleston many times, but not recently. We used to stay further out on the highway to save money, and then for a few years splurged and stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in the historic district that accepted pets. But their rates have gone up quite a bit and they no longer accept pets. I found this facility on Trip Advisor and it looked like a good compromise. It's fairly close to the historic area, allows pets, and the rate is good, especially during the week. The hotel is at a Marina, so the view is great (ask for a room in the front of the building facing the marina). The room was wonderful. The people who work in the hotel could not be more friendly or helpful! You feel like you are at a hotel, not a typical LaQuinta, though I like La Quintas. They have a shuttle to take you back and forth to the downtown historic district, but it is at a charge. The rooms are very nice, wonderful beds, etc. They are very pet friendly, and the grass to walk your dog is very close. Pet owners, know this is not the type of La Quinta where you drive up to your room. It is set up like a hotel. I did not mind that. My mom is disabled, so they gave us a room right next to the elevator for less walking for her, and for ease walking our little dogs. The only negative I can think of is that it is certainly not walking distance to downtown, but we could not find a nice, reasonably priced, pet friendly motel/hotel closer to downtown. I highly recommend this La Quinta.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. I wanted to take a moment to personally thank you for your great review and for your compliments regarding our hotel and staff. We are constantly striving to provide the best guest experiences and I thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I will make sure to pass along your compliments to the rest of the staff in which they will truly enjoy. We do hope to see you again the next time you are in the Charleston area.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I booked the LaQuinta with the intention of traveling with our dog. Once we saw how hot it was going to be we found other arrangements for her but I kept the reservation at the LQ. The front desk people were super nice, helpful and informative, the location was convenient to the city and the breakfast was adequate, nothing special. There were many people with dogs staying here and that's great, I love dogs, my problem was the flea bites I got all over my body. I think it's wonderful that places allow dogs but they must do everything possible to make sure the don't get flea infested. I became a bit bug paranoid the rest of our trip because I was so itchy from the fleas. I e-mailed a complaint but I'm sure nothing will happen. It's an ok place to stay for the price.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our location. I do apologize that your experience was not what you had expected and please note that we take your concerns seriously. We had an extermination company inspect your room after we received your email and they found no pest activity in this room. I can completely empathize that you received bites from bugs while in Charleston and we took the necessary measures and called EcoLab Pest Control to make sure they did not come from your room. Our protocol is to specifically treat all rooms occupying pets upon checkout as a safe measure to keep our future guests as comfortable as possible. We do appreciate your great comments about our staff and we do hope that you will try us again the next time you are in the area. Thank you again. Sincerely, Tony Sorrells, General Manager
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I was a little nervous about staying here after reading some of the previous reviews, but I was not disappointed with my stay. It was just an average hotel. The building was fairly dingy and not extremely taken care of, but the employess were nice. The room was nothing over the top aesthetically, but the beds were surprisingly comfortable. The continental breakfast was a little bare the only good thing was the waffle maker. If your looking for an average stay and nothing overly impressive then this is the place to stay. Great access to downtown, perfect for people who just need a place to crash while visiting the Charleston area and don't plan on spending a lot of time at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2011
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. I wanted to take a moment to personally thank you for your review and for your compliments regarding our hotel staff. We are constantly striving to provide the best guest experiences and I thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We do hope to see you again the next time you are in the Charleston area
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I woke up with bug bites. Shrugged it off the first night, but after the second night, more showed up. What was supposed to be a wonderful trip out and about in Charleston with my Navy boyfriend, celebrating our 2 year anniversary, was spent indoors, in our hotel room because I was too embarrassed to walk outside with giant half dollar sized welts on my legs, arms and back.

Sure, I could have walked out wearing pants and a shirt, but I don't want to walk around in pants and a full shirt in 90+ degree weather. Especially since I only packed shorts, dresses and tank tops.

Service was great, they moved us to another room in the main building. Which, by the way, I highly suggest you do, should you book this hotel. The gaps between the doors to the floor/wall in the exterior rooms have not been fixed, as Ms. Schlemann claims they have been in the review dated on April 13, 2011. Even though the service was great, they're not contractors. They can't fix the doors nor give you a refund; just relocate you. So bugs are free to roam underneath the doors.

Internet is faulty. It's a bad signal wherever you go (we moved from an exterior room to the main building) in the hotel, which is unfortunate. It's free, but it sure ain't "high speed."

The TV in the exterior room was alright. There's nothing wrong with it, good channels. However, the TV in the main building had a bad picture on every channel. Static, if you will. We tried to fix it, but nothing would do. I didn't want to call the Front Desk anymore because I felt like I had already burdened them too much already.

Breakfast was alright. They had a really weird looking yogurt and fruit combo one morning. The French toast was accompanied by a strange strawberry compote (it didn't look fresh). I was okay with it though, because all I wanted were the eggs (which only come hard-boiled) and a bagel with cream cheese. A glass of orange juice was good, too. Unfortunately, the tables are also a bit faulty. The table we sat at rocked side to side. At first, we thought the legs were the issue, but it turned out to be whatever was connecting the table top to the legs that was the issue. Table so only had one packet of salt. Boo.

Can't say much about the pool, other than it's pretty much what you would expect from a motel, so a fairly small pool. No hot tub.

The walls are pretty thin, but we had nice neighbors. Luckily, there weren't any dogs around, as I'm allergic. I'm sure if there were any noise complaints, the staff would have accommodated accordingly.

There's no refrigerator, though I hear that if you call ahead of time, they'll install one in for you before you arrive. Again, that's just word of mouth.

Late check out available if you ask nicely.

Overall, would have been an average, enjoyable stay had I not encountered the ridiculously terrible quality of the (exterior) room.

The only thing keeping me from giving the hotel one green circle is because of the staff that was able to aid us during our stay. They did everything they could to their best ability and it is greatly appreciated. Regardless, their service does not change the deteriorating feel the hotel gives off.

Attached are photos of my bug bites. And yes. They're progressively getting worse because every type of medication I put on it doesn't work.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. I wanted to take a moment and personally thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. We are very sorry that your stay was not what you expected from LaQuinta and please know that our number one goal is to make sure our guests are satisfied with their stay. I want to say congratulations on your 2 year anniversary and I do hope you were able to do a little bit of celebrating while you were in Charleston. I understand completely about how bad the bugs are especially being located near the water but we take necessary precautions with our rooms to make sure the bugs stay outside. We did have all the gaps in the doors sealed so it sounds like there is a bigger issue with that door and we will go and inspect all the doors again immediately to make sure this problem is solved. I do appreciate your great comments about our staff and I will make sure to pass them along so they can enjoy them as well. Again I do apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay and I do hope you will give us another try during your next visit to the Charleston area!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Ashley River

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!