“Dirty, worn and noisy”

Ranked #51 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
charlotte, nc
“Dirty, worn and noisy”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Check in line 15 min long- only one clerk, and she wasn't in any hurry. Got a room in the main building with indoor access (some rooms open motel style to the parking lot.) Everything in the room was worn, and fixtures were basic and cheap to begin with. Some pink liquid gunk had been tracked around the tile bathroom floor which was particularly nasty. At some point, the bath had been upfitted with a granite sink surround, but everything else was bare bones. My first impulse was to check for bedbugs (didn't find any sign) but inspection did reveal torn and worn-out mattress pad and cheap worn sheets. Couldn't wait to take a shower when I got home. The walls are so thin that you don't just hear murmurs, you can actually listen in to conversations and other "activities" in the next room. Hotel allows dogs- look elsewhere if you are allergic or don't like the sound of barking.

Room Tip: look in a different hotel
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to notify us regarding the difficulties you expereinced during your stay. We accommodate many guests each evening, and the principal goal of our hotel is to provide dependable service to each at a reasonable price. Consequently, it is disappointing to learn that you were unhappy with your stay. Please accept my sincere apology. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed and the appropriate action has been taken. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from recurring. We do hope you will give us another chance to prove we are the best value hotel in the Charleston area. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Willoughby
Reviewed April 2, 2011

front desk staff awesome, we were first-timers to charleston and desk staff gave us maps, directions, tips and advice. so helpful. hotel was crowded due to field trips and soccer tourneys, however, desk staff appeared undaunted. we had our dog with us and he was treated like a special guest, first floor near exit door, very nice. rooms clean, close to downtown, and city was very dog friendly. California Dreaming Restaurant next door is a big plus,also views of the marina. free parking and wifi. Yes Laquinta was a great stay. would recommend to all. front desk goes above and beyond.

Room Tip: reserve early
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay and your excellent review of our hotel. Our team very much appreciates the recognition. It's our goal to make our guests and their pets feel like they are at home while they travel for business or leisure. Thank you again and plase come stay with us again soon.
New Jersey
Reviewed March 26, 2011

I had a lovely stay at the La Quinta Inn Charleston Riverview in Charleston, SC. The hotel is on a marina with a beautiful view. Check in went smoothly and the front desk staff greeted me with a smile. I was given a clean and comfortable room that looked out onto the marina. There is a very convenient shuttle that runs every two hours for a small fee that takes you you the market in Charleston. This is a great location near restaurants and clubs. Once dropped off, I explored the city and when I was ready I returned to the convenient pick up location for the ride back to the hotel. The shuttle drivers were friendly and very knowledgeable about their city. I really enjoyed my stay and plan to patronize this hotel on future trips to Charleston, S.C. - J.R., New Jersey

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Candie72
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. I wanted to take a moment to personally thank you for your great review and for your compliments regarding our hotel staff. I will make sure to pass along your comments to them in which they will truly enjoy as well. Thank ou for helping me reconginze their excellent work. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip to the Charleston area.
Jacksonville, North Carolina
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I chose this hotel because it was close to where I needed to be for workshop and close to downtown Charleston even though I saw some unsavory reviews on trip advisor. I wanted to give it a shot. 1st off they had my reservation wrong in that I made it for 2 and they had 1 full size bed. easy fix though. The room was nicely decorated but couldnt look past dog hair on carpet, dirty shower and tub, towels in bathroom with yellow stains on them. couldnt determine if it was urine or what. The breakfast to me was gross! they mixed up over ripe bananas and soft strawberries, among other things.. They can do better!! The 2nd night was better. housekeeping came and cleaned the room BUT I shouldnt have had to sleep in my slippers because of a dirty carpet. I will never say never, but I do not have any plans on staying here again. Not good La Quinta, you need to do better. Side note: front desk staff were pleasant and responsive when asking questions or making complaints

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. We do turly apologize that your experience was not what you expected from LaQuinta. It is our goal to exceed our guests' expectations in service and accommodations, so it is with disappointment that I hear how we have fallen short of that goal. Your comments have been shared with my team so that the appropriate changes can be made for the comfort of our future guests. Your satisfaction and contintued trust in LaQuinta are our top prioritites. We hope you will give us another try the next time you come to the Charleston area. Please feel free to contact me if you do. Thank you again.

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed February 27, 2011

I was on a math team trip with some friends, and we went three to a room to save money. After losing coin tosses to get the beds, I went to the lobby expecting to get a cot of some sort, but the employee on duty said that he couldn't leave the desk to get one. After waiting 20 minutes to find that the shuttle driver was also too busy to get one, I had to sleep on the floor.

Other than this inconvenience, it was a good room with a great view of the marsh. The amenities were solid, and breakfast was also good, if a little crowded.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, April 21, 2011
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and we continue to strive to make sure our guests stay happy. I do want to apologize about the actions that were taken by the staff about the rollaway bed. I have made sure to handle this situation to make sure any future guests do not experience this problem again. We are limited in how many rollaway's we have available but there is no excuse for the way the staff behaved. Thank you again and we do look forward to seeing you again soon!!
South Carolina
Reviewed February 26, 2011

We stayed overnight here since I had a meeting downtown. It was a good location, quiet inside room, and the breakfast was enjoyable. There is a fitness room and internet access. The room was clean, but the doorknob was loose, which concerned us a bit. However, it did lock sufficiently. The staff was helpful and friendly. I would stay here again. Good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and we continue to strive to have one of the most friendliest staff in the Charleston area and provide a wide variety of great amenities for our guests to enjoy. Thank you again for your comments and we do look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed February 1, 2011

The staff was very nice and they gave us a discount because we had a Citadel student staying with us.
The rooms were clean and it was a quick drive to downtown Charleston.
We will use them again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
LaQuintaRiverview, Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Thank you for staying at the LaQuinta Charleston Riverview. We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from our guests and we continue to strive to have one of the most friendliest staff in the Charleston area. We do provide a discount for our Citadel families so please let your other Citadel student families know that if they need accommodations when they come to visit to give us a call. We do look forward to seeing you again soon!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charleston
Holiday Inn Charleston Riverview
Residence Inn Charleston Downtown/Riverview
SpringHill Suites Charleston Downtown/Riverview
Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Tides Folly Beach
Tides Folly Beach
#1 of 1 in Folly Beach
Holiday Inn Express Charleston Downtown - Ashley River

Been to La Quinta Inn & Suites Charleston Riverview? Share your experiences!