“Would stay there again!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston
Ranked #44 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
“Would stay there again!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Charleston is hour drive from my home and we go there at least 10 times per year. We have stayed in many hotels in Charleston and the Embassy Suites is in a great location especially if you have a College of Charleston student there. I am a picky traveler and my husband and I will go back!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Unusually nice staff. Great to be in an historic almost 200 year old property which has been remodeled so efficiently. Breakfast was extensive and ample. Valet parking added greatly to the convenience. Location was super.

Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel, although large, was notable for the service at the front desk, housekeeping,food services, valets and greeters. Everyone was happy and friendly- we had no trouble with any employee. We did arrive early for check in (11am), and our room was not yet ready- so we stowed our bags and went to lunch. The front desk indicated the room would be ready at 3 pm and it was. We stayed in a double suite- 2 bedrooms and a business room- which worked out great for our teenager- own bedroom and bathroom ( Room 400). Hotel is located one block off King Street- a shopping, restaurant and bar destination. Comfortable beds, very clean rooms, A/C worked great, water pressure was fine ( a bit intermittent). I would recommend this hotel for its value. Very near the Visitor Center for easy access ( 2 min walk) to free trolley and tours. Pool was small, but definitely a plus in the Charleston humidity. There are many families, so on the weekends expect some kiddie noise as they head out for the day.

Room Tip: Avoid the side where the construction is occurring; higher up ( 4 is the top floor) I think is bette...
Beaufort, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Breakfast was always a zoo, laid out poorly and never enough seating. Rooms were small with one very high window, and clean. Main lobby area has shabby furniture and fountain leaks all around it. People were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This was our first trip to Charleston and to this hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and accomodating! Great location to restaurants and shops. On Saturday morning there was a farmers market with local artists along the side of the hotel which overlooks the park. There was a variety of different people staying, but our room seemed quiet even with a little bit of construction next door. Bed / sleep quality rating only slightly lower because I have slept in better, but the bed was still comfy. Clean, spacious, and beautiful lobby. A great value for the price, since your stay includes a cooked breakfast, turn down service, and manager's reception in the evening. I will be recommending this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
United States
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent Stay. Beautiful hotel, Wonderful location, great walking distance to all the best places. There for a conference, did not stay at conference hotel due to small rooms. This was just a 2-3 min walk, across a nice park. An amazing farmers market sets up in the park on saturday morning where the fruit and vegetables looked absolutely wonderful. Great place to stay! Hotel staff wonderful and very accommodating!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed August 11, 2013

It is rare that anyone can ruffle my feathers, but the service at this hotel was so awful, it left a very bad taste in my mouth. Normally when I read on Trip Advisor that someone had a hard time with service or reservations, I dismiss it because I am mostly looking for a clean, safe place to sleep and I don't really know what the circumstances were behind the problem. But there is no mistaking it... this is a situation that this hotel will repeat and you do NOT want to be their victim like we were.

Bottom line is that we had a confirmed reservation that was being held on my credit card. When I got to the hotel I was very simply told that there were NO rooms. There were two girls behind the desk and the one that took me to check in treated me like an imbecile and was extremely rude. Before even giving her my name for checkin, she began denying that I could possibly even have a reservation because the hotel was sold out earlier in the day. I asked her to please check her computer and she claimed she did not have me in her system. She started asking me questions like "are you at the right hotel?" I told her I specifically booked the historic location because I wanted to be in town and I started describing the room type and price. Then, she literally dismissed me by turning her back and walking away.

I walked out to the car to get my reservation number, and when I came back, only the other girl was behind the desk. I will say that she was much nicer. She reset the computer and suddenly my reservation showed. Still, no room however. I challenged her to look at the credit card billing, and she claimed it would not be put on my bill. I will for sure be checking to make sure that the $300 does NOT show up! For $300 a night, you would think the Embassy would have better people at their front desk.

This girl called 3 other hotels she heard might have rooms, and could not find a room anywhere in town. She finally stated that the only rooms available were located 30 minutes out of town. After standing at their desk for close to an hour, I was forced to leave with just a "sorry".

We drove out of town for 30 minutes or more to find a new hotel. When I told the desk manager at the new hotel about our situation, she was shocked that the Embassy did not call their sister hotel located just down the street from this hotel with a special code to have us stay for free for the inconvenience...just another display of the Embassy's lack of service!

The new hotel was too far from Historic Charleston to go back to visit. We left without ever seeing a single tourist site. My advice is to not book at this overpriced hotel where service is horrendous! They will take your credit card, and give you a confirmation number that means absolutely NOTHING!!!

Room Tip: Go anywhere but this hotel for a room!
5 Thank SuSanSK