“Good place for a business meeting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston

Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston
Ranked #43 of 59 Hotels in Charleston
Des Moines, Iowa
“Good place for a business meeting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Have stayed in other hotels in Charleston, and despite the other comments this location is a fairly easy walk from many attractions. Interesting history, and the staff was very accommodating. Rooms could use some sprucing up, but the bed was very comfortable. The bar area is pretty small considering how large the lobby is. Breakfast is your typical fare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Assiniboia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We just returned last week from a weeklong stay at the Embassy Suites in Charleston. I can't say enough about well we were treated. Our suite was large, very clean with real comfortable beds. The entire staff were so helpful and friendly. The staff we met at the evening social and breakfast were great! The social was a good time to mingle with the other guests as well.The complimentary breakfast was amazing. It was good to relax in the beautiful courtyard after a day of seeing the sights in and around Charleston. We would highly recommend the Embassy Suites and the tourist attractions of Charleston as a great vacation spot. The tourist info and trolly's are nearby.
Thank You from the 4 Canadian ladies in pink, who had to head back to the snow & cold .

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my wife and we both loved it. The staff at the night social and breakfast were outstanding! Great property and very convenient to King St. The complimentary breakfast was great.

We had a nice corner room. The HVAC was a little loud but normal for a old historic building. But the amenities are good.

• Stayed January 2013
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I am just returning from 3 nights in Charleston. I was so impressed by the staff here that I would not even consider staying elsewhere. It started with our bellhop (Lee) greeting me warmly and dealing with my HUGE bags. I was able to check into the hotel early (noon) much to my pleasure as I was tired from my drive. The desk clerk was equally friendly. Lee was a mountain of help with information on dining, dancing, cocktails, all in walking distance. The room service for dinner was so shockingly good that we had to force ourselves out of the room to dine for our other meals. The 2nd night we ordered a bottle of champagne, which to my dismay was not to my liking. The gentlemen who delivered this not only took this off our bill, but supplied us with a bottle of his favorite 'on the house'. From the minute we drove up, to the moment we left, we were impressed by all that we met. Bartender, breakfast staff, concierge, room service, and even the smiling maids made this my ONLY choice for future trips to Charleston. This being said, I read some negative reviews about the outdated rooms. This hotel is a NATIONAL landmark. Yes, the rooms were a little outdated, and we are in the South, so I did see a very small roach, but this hotel is absolutely beautiful!! The hot tub had a beautiful view of the gun towers, the lobby was regal, and the atrium stunning! For most people a small, outdated (but very clean) room won't matter at all in the scheme of grandeur of the rest of the hotel. So, don't listen to the negative, I travel a LOT and this quickly became one of my favorite spots.

Room Tip: Do choose a room with a window. I was shown to one without upon arrival, and can't imagine how...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gabrielle71
Wellington, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The hotel needs to be refurshbish, the lobby area shows well however the suites have old furniture and poor lighting in the bedrooms, The room I occupied had cracks in the walls, living rm and bathroom. The vent was disgusting dirty, the room felt uncleaned. The breakfast area is small and the omellete was greasy, which took 15 mins to receive. The set up was crumsy, folks were crowded around the grill area waiting for their omelletes. The 2nd day, the patio area had a buffet area set up which relieve alot of the bottleneck. I was very disappointed with amenities and the room. There are other properties nearby to the marketplace that are optional for my next trip.

Room Tip: I had a room facing a brick bldg.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
ESsalescoordinator, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Charleston - Historic Charleston, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were disappointed with your experience while staying with us. We will take your comments about the hotel decor, breakfast menu selections, and crowded common areas, under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We appreciate that you brought these concerns to our attention and hope we have another chance to show you our improvements.

Kind regards,
Nora Sturgeon
Guest Services Manager
Nora.Sturgeon@hilton.com
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The hotel is the old location of the Citadel (Military College of South Carolina) and I have stayed there twice over the past three years. Each stay was good. The overall ambiance is that of an Embassy Suites property; however, almost everything is done in a way that's different from other Embassy Suites hotels. The breakfast/restaurant area is a rather small room to the side of the lobby. The reception area (drinks/snacks) is a rather small bar area just inside the main door, The rooms are a bit small for an Embassy Suites hotel and are somewhat dark (very few windows). Would I stay here again? The answer is a definite yes.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

It's pretty hard to find a decent, well priced hotel in Charleston. The Embassy Suites is nice with a beautiful entryway. I'm not a huge fan of Embassy Suites because I think they are old, but this was a pretty good place to stay. The location was good, although a tad further than I thought to the market, but definitely walk able.

The service was great. The amenities were standard. In general, it's a nice hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed January 2013