WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #48 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Prescott, Arizona
“Parking is very tight - room clean - close to trolley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

The best thing about this Comfort Inn is that it is next to the free trolley stop. The trolley will take you to the visitor's center. The rooms were clean - tub a bit slippery. The breakfast area is one of the largest we have seen; however with the number of guests there was no room to sit. The staff was working hard to keep the food available. We were recognized on check-in as member of the Choice Program and was given a token gift. The room we had was quiet - no outside noise.

2 Thank travelsbyrail

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

This was my second trip to Charleston - the first I stayed in the Historic District. To save money, we went to Comfort Inn. Do it. Drive your car and park downtown - even with parking, you will come out ahead on money. We didn't use the trolley downtown. Trolley only comes every 30 minutes and drops you off at the visitor center which is still a good walk to the historic area. The hotel was nice - rooms had an updated feel. However, the hair dryer in the bathroom was broken which was something I was depending on having. Also, the Wifi was down an entire night which was inconvenient in terms of planning but this was fixed by the next morning. Parking is rough - if you're lucky you get a spot in their lot. Otherwise, you have to park in the credit union next door's lot after hours, but must move your car before 7am when the CU opens. The staff was very friendly. If you walked the halls, or shared an elevator, they were always friendly which I was impressed by. I would stay here again.

1 Thank cara s
Harrisville, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

When we checked in a day ago all was well ... Tonight, I call down for towels after none was left by service staff ... The receptionist on duty decides that my call asking for more towels, after we fetched some already! ... was somehow threatening. She was the rude one!! I am the paying customer!! She tells me that her "maintenance guy" is on break and cannot bring any towels ... I tell her that once he returns to please ask him to bring towels to us. She decides I am still threatening! Now she wants to call the police!!! Anyway, she demands to speak to my wife, she then proceeds to tell my wife that I should "calm down" or she'll call the police and have us removed! I assume she then decided to stop feeling threatened, towels arrived a while later. Maintenance guy or whomever brought the towels to our room seemed drunk, how crazy!
Anyway, tonight was a very strange experience. We will not be staying here again!
All the positives of the amazing staff last night was blown away by the absolute wacko and very rude behavior of tonight's receptionist.
Very, very unfriendly service indeed!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Razinski
Homer Glen
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I recently had an unexpected stay at the Comfort Inn in Charleston SC. It's located a short walk from the MUSC Ashley River Tower hospital campus. The concierge at the hospital made the reservation for me and apparently had a way to get a good daily rate. I wasn't sure how long I would be staying. The hotel staff was CLEARLY equipped to deal with guests who were waiting for someone to be released from the hospital. They were able to extend my stay. When my family member was released, they moved us to a special needs room with a walk-in shower. While I would not say that this hotel is luxurious, I will say that they had EVERYTHING I needed: a clean and quiet room, a do-it-yourself laundry facility, fitness room, an OUTSTANDING breakfast every day, but best of all the staff here has the BEST ATTITUDE! So many other places could learn from them. That being said, if there were any improvements I would make they would be to provide a shuttle to/from the hospital campus and open a small convenience store that sells toiletries. Also, being so close to the hospital, possibly increase the number of special needs rooms. While there was no restaurant on-site, the front desk offered several local restaurants that delivered directly to your room. Kudos to the lady that sets up the morning breakfasts. My father and I were playing cards in the empty dining room. She came out of the kitchen bearing warm cookies and bottled water. Delightful!

Room Tip: Book special needs room well in advance as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank hehldq
Catlett
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our first visit to Charleston so we had no idea of where to stay. We picked this hotel just through the process of elimination. I was just hoping to find a clean, safe place and was very pleased when we arrived and found so much more. In addition to being clean and safe, the beds are very comfortable, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the location is good. Not good if you want to walk to town but the trolley stop is right out the door. Breakfast was good for hotel food. We eat gluten free and were able to find enough things to keep us fed. They had eggs and sausage every morning and there was yogurt and fresh fruit. We stayed from Sunday - Wednesday and it was pretty full but quiet. We had to park in the bank parking lot next door one night. The front desk offered to move the car for us the next morning since you have to be out of that lot by 8 am but we were up anyway - lots to see and do! We like to walk when we are on vacation but this was still a good location because there were a lot of things that we wanted to do that weren't downtown. The pool looked nice but it was March.... no swimming for us even though it looked open. We'll stay there again next trip.

3 Thank Catherine W
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Best location to walk to hospital or catch trolley for downtown.Free parking,free internet,good breakfast. Nothing fancy but clean. The machine in lobby actually dispenses a pretty good cup of coffee.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Steve K
Ocala, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

This was my first trip to Charleston. I wanted a nice, clean, safe hotel, but I didn't want to pay a lot of money since I wouldn't be spending lots of time in the room. This hotel turned out to be a very good option. The staff is professional and very friendly. The room was spotless, the bed was comfortable, the water pressure was outstanding, and everything worked. I felt very safe here, and that matters a lot when I'm traveling. The free trolley stops right outside the hotel every thirty minutes or so and will take you right down to the Visitors' Center and the historic district. Once I parked at the hotel, I didn't have to drive again. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo