“Average+ but getting better each time we stay”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Toronto, Canada
“Average+ but getting better each time we stay”
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Our stay a couple of years ago was a disaster. The place was in chaos and under renovation. This time the room we had on the 3rd floor was more than satisfactory. Good beds, clean and crisp linens and all in all a comfortable space for the two nights of our visit to this delightful city.
The Bee Street location has somewhat challenging parking but a spot could be found. We like to walk but the free trolley service stops right outside the bank next door. As it happens we walked into the downtown historic area on both days and found it an easy stroll.
The breakfast was typical Comfort Inn, but that said the hot food was hot and the cold was cold. Coffee was plentiful throughout our stay.
Will be stay here again? Yes! Front Desk staff were friendly and helpful . . . a nice touch in a busy place like this.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tony O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed February 8, 2014

i checked in on 2/6 and requested a handicap room with 2 beds. was told all handicap rooms only have 1 queen. the front desk suggested they add a roll-a-way bed to accomidate my request. the bed was added and was adequate for our needs. highly recommend this hotel. the room was clean and every request was satisfied.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank kippernc
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I booked a room with double beds for one night at this location. I am a choice privileges diamond member so I stay in a lot of choice hotels. I forgot to mention that I had one person staying with me in my room and I called as soon as I got to my room. ( Roughly one minute from leaving the front desk.) I told the clerk that I was going to need another parking pass and that one more person was staying in the room. ( Note, There is never a charge for this.) The night clerk stated that I would have to pay for the additional guest, at a tune of $79!!!!! The room cost me $98. ???? I was pissed to say the least. I called choice and they couldn't do anything from their end because I was already under the care of the hotel. Then I booked an additional room for him using my choice points. This room was supposed to be a king room. Once he checked in I asked him how his big bed was, and he told me they changed his room to a double bed. WITHOUT TELLING US. I called choice, and they said I'd have to call the next day and file a complaint. I did just that. Choice did the right thing and gave me my points back, but I will never stay at this garbage of a hotel again. I will be traveling to Charleston for work a lot more often now and this place will get none of my business. What a horrible place with horrible people trying to rip me off especially when I did the right thing and called to tell the front desk about my additional person. I have talked to others at a bar I visited who had horror stories of this place as well. BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Tim R
Merrick, New York
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This hotel is very nice, close to all the hospitals, cancer center and VA medical center. A lot of fast food restaurants like McDonalds are within a 2 minute walk. There is a free trolley to the visitor center next door. From there you can switch trollies to other tourist sites. I was recognized as a rewards member, had a very nice King room' with fridge and microwave, the TV worked well. The problem was the other guests were soooo noisy all night long, quieted when houseman came and started in 2 minutes later!!! Every time I fell into a good sleep, they'd bang a door or shout in the hall and wake me up. Earlier in the day, 4:45 ish when I came back from sightseeing, a family came in the room next door, except they came to my room first and their key worked!! Thank goodness I had the security lock on! Then they tried to open the connecting door and kept banging on it. I went to the desk and was reek eyed and they were moved, but it was the other noisy patrons that kept me up ALL night, 2 nights in a row!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
I want to say thank you for staying with us. I am sorry that your stay was not the one that you expected. I hope that if you come and stay with us again your stay will be more pleasurable.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed at the Comfort Inn on December 26 and 27. The staff was very nice and courteous. However one of the elevators was broken and we had to wait 10 minutes to be rescued. The hotel is old, rooms were dirty and a friendly cockroach appeared in the bathroom in the last day.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
I apologize for the problems that you had while you were staying with us. We did have a problem with the elevator but it has been fixed since your stay. We are making a lot of changes in the hotel like new bedding and resurfacing of the tubs. I hope that you come back and you give us a chance to show you the changes that we are making.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Let me start by saying I am a professional writer and I was in town to finish up two major projects. I selected this hotel because I believed the location was ideal. NOT.

1. The cops woke me up at 2 am. They knocked until I woke up. I was scared because I did not know who was at the door. Half dressed I looked through the peep hole and saw the officers, who asked me to open the door. I did, but I was very scared. My breast were hanging out of my nightgown, I was disheveled and fearful. The cops went on to say that they received a phone call that someone was being assaulted in my room. Yes, in my room. They asked if I had a son with me or kids and if I was sure because I told them I didn't call the police. They seemed apprehensive because they received a call. I told them they could check my room. They checked my room with flashlights. I was so embarrassed. They did not find anything and said they were glad I was okay and left.

2. No one from the hotel checked on me after the cops came to my room. NO ONE. I texted friends and told them what happened and I was scared to go back to sleep.

3. I called front desk and spoke with someone who said they were the Asst. General Manager. She said the cops came to the wrong room. I told her I wanted a refund and she said they would adjust some but not all. I told her I was going to make a formal complaint and she argued with me, stating it was not the hotels fault the cops went to the wrong room. She told me I was wrong to blame the hotel.

4. I called them back and asked for the 800 number and a young man answered and gave me the number. He asked was everything okay. I told him to look at my account and to see if they documented anything. He replied he saw an "adjustment".

5. I called again because then I saw roach in my room and a silverfish. DISGUSTED I asked to have someone check my account and see what "adjustments" were made and to also inform them of the roach and other nasty bug. The young lady on the phone said she could adjust for the roach but the cop situation had to be handled by the manager who would be in at nine the next morning.

6. I put on all of the lights in the room and waited until I felt safe to leave. I checked out and the front desk lady had no clue about what happened during my stay.

7. Manger has yet to speak with me bout this incident and compensating me for this horrible ordeal.

8. In total, they discounted my fees 58.00 and let me check out early.

9. The Health Dept. will be notified.

10. Lastly, someone was assaulted the morning the cops came to the wrong room. I was told that, "Wouldn't you want someone to check on you if you was being assaulted?"

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank J Monique G
I want to apologize again for the situation with the police going to the wrong room. I am glad that they found you safe and sound. I remember having a pleasant conversation with you that night and the next day, I do remember reimbursing you for your whole stay because of the bad experience you had. I hope that you would stay with us again so we can give you the experience you deserve.
Allenton, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 26, 2013

We were traveling through town and needed a place to stay for the night and decided on this one because it looked nice. not good parking for a pickup truck. Hotel was old and dirty you can tell it was close to the beach.they hotel overbooked so people were not happy when we arrived. Staff tried hard to handle the people but some were rude and staff stayed calm. Not sure if i would come back or not wil decide later on when i travel back through again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Charleston. We are continuing to make improvements on our hotel and with input from our valued guests we know what to focus on. We hope that you come back and give us a chance to give your the service that you deserve.