“Not fresh att all!!”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We booked thru RCI a weekend at this hotel. Very busy reception when we arrived, but ok.
We got a room at level 6, and when we got in the room, it was smelly and carpet was not clean and had a dirty feeling. In the bathroom it was used towels left, half of Coke in the fridge, crums on the floor, dirty windows....Really unappealing
We pointed this out to staff at reception and they promised to fix this when we went out for dinner. Guess what when we arrived, no change!, we told staff again to get another room, but they where full. It was late so we could not get to another hotel. As other people are satisfied, hopefully they have better rooms than 603.
At breakfast no space to sit if you hit wrong time.

But we loved Charleston!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. I apologize for the state of the room that you had stayed in. It is our goal to have everything ready for our guests when they arrive and it was not so for you. I have shared your comments with my front desk staff and housekeeping so this will not happen again. I hope you that you will stay with us again so we can give you the service that you and every guest that comes here deserves.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I booked my room 2 months prior to Charleston Fashion Week. The day of check in the hotel calls at 5pm and leaves a message stating that my reservation has been cancelled because they over booked and they moved us to a hotel in a very shady part of town. Their walk policy states that if they cancel or transfer they will pay one nights stay at the other hotel which they also refused to do. I got a call the following morning at 8am by the hotel manager Vicki stating I threatened her staff and I'm banned from the property. I informed Vicki that I stated that I wasn't leaving the property until they honored my reservation and I never threatened anyone and ended the call. Moments latter I get a call from the Charleston Police Department stating Vicki has reported me and I'm banned from the property. PATRONS BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Jake Y
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went to my room, noticed door was wide open. Upon entering there was fan going, wet vac in room, & noticeable smell. Must have been some sort of leak. Called front desk, they told me to come down for a key to another room. That night people opened the door & could not get all the way in because of security lock. They said they were given that room & apologized. Than I got a call telling me I was to vacate room. I told them circumstances & they said they would look into it. Next night a couple are knocking on my door @ 2:00 am with a pizza ?
All in all, breakfast was ok, room was clean, staff was nice but need to be re-trained.

Room Tip: Make sure to always use security lock.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bob W

I wanted to thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn to stay at while in Charleston. I agree that communication is very important and I have shared your concerns with my staff. I hope that the next time you stay with us we will be able to show you that the communication with our staff has improved. Thank you for taking the time to send this review.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

We used the lowest internet option and paid for the room ahead of time. We paid for a room with a queen bed and received an email confirmation. When we arrived, the clerk said we had two doubles. When we replied that our reservation was for a queen, he said he would be allowed to switch rooms if we were staying the 2nd night (which we weren't). The bathtub floor was stained or dirty--not sure which. The bathroom door didn't latch correctly. The walls were paper thin. Granted, we were there on a weekend night but we kept hearing voices in the hallways throughout the night as people were apparently coming back from late-night events.

The parking is also pathetic. When we asked, that's when the clerk gave us a pass to put in our windows giving us permission to park at the bank behind the building. At least we were there on a Saturday night so the bank wouldn't be opening on Sunday.

Room Tip: Think twice about staying here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

I am sorry your stay was less enjoyable than you expected. Parking is an issue in Charleston but here at the hotel we have overflow parking at the Credit Union next to the hotel. If you have to park there during the week when the bank opens in the morning, we have a free Valet service we offer our guests so they do not have to get up early in the morning to move their car from the bank parking lot back over to our parking lot. I have shared your concerns about the bathroom cleanliness with my executive housekeeper she can make sure that the rooms are up to the standards that our guests deserve. Thank you for taking time to send this review in.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Fabulous service! I can not praise the staff at the Comfort Inn enough. I arrived in a walking cast and Desiree at the front desk immediately offered to move her car so I could have a close parking space. The rooms were spacious and clean. Breakfast was amazing! When we told Theresa we never had grits before a fresh bowl was at our table within minutes and the next morning when she greeted us, another fresh bowl this time with sausage was delivered to our table. I can not thank the entire staff enough for making our stay so enjoyable. The trolley was right outside to the hotel and it took you right to the City Market. Parking was not an issue, with the bank next door I've walked further from the lot at my office than to the front door of the hotel. Can not wait to visit this charming city again and this is the only place I will stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much for the praise of my staff. I am blessed to be working with such a great staff. I will share your comments with them. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Clean, large and lovely rooms with nice floor plan, quality furnishings, superb staff, very quiet despite being close to highways (and conveniently close to a wide range of restaurant choices). I CANNOT recommend this hotel highly enough! Great, great value in Charleston.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan G

Thank you for that amazing review. We really appreciate it when our hard work pays off and we see that our guests enjoy their stay. We can't wait for you to come stay with us again.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Long weekend trip to Charleston was wonderful. City is amazing with historic homes, fantastic food, and friendly people. The Comfort Inn is an older hotel about a mile from downtown but the staff was extremely helpful and friendly; continental breakfast; convenient trolley to downtown. Taxi was available at very reasonable rates. We had a mini family reunion and it was a great place to meet.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor and it was very quiet. The gym and the pool were on the third floor and...
1  Thank LindaG1955

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.