“Can't miss for the money”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #50 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Josephine at the front desk was awesome! Free upgrade to a Jr. Suite which was wonderful. People who are complaining need to get off their wallet. Can't expect 5 star amenities at a 3 star price. For the price this place was an excellent choice for our family. Parking is limited and a building now obstructs what I'm guessing used to be a nice River view. If you want a view then go to the Courtyard across the street and pay double or more. Your choice. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Scottmig

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I actually just came back from my stay at the Comfort Inn yesterday and could not wait to write my review. My stay was great from start to finish. Now I should say that I am a low maintenance traveler, as long as everything is clean and in working order I'm happy. But even then, I truly had a remarkable stay here. I arrived very early, shortly after the 11am checkout, and the front desk staff were still able to find me a wonderful, clean room for early check in. The hotel is a ways off from downtown and I was worried about how to get there. But alas, the rep alerted me to a FREE, old fashioned styled trolley that stopped right next to the hotel which took me right downtown in the middle of everything. I dropped my luggage off in my room and headed for a day of sightseeing!

In the morning, I went downstairs for their hot yummy FREE breakfast. The other guests were acting like pure animals (lol) but the food was nonetheless plentiful. This location also has a internet center and a 24 hour coffee machine kiosk, which is great since I often can't do anything before having coffee in the early am!

I was visiting the city on business and had an early presentation in the downtown area. After riding the trolley the day before, I knew it took a while to travel through the city, so when I asked the front desk to provide me with phone numbers for a cab service they happily volunteered to call one for me. Their choice was also excellent.

Having a microwave and mini-fridge in the room was perfect because I ordered take out and always had leftovers which I didn't have to waste. The front desk staff also provide guests with a list of local restaurants where your can dine in or have food delivered to the hotel. This was great! I was also able to get a late checkout which I loved. I had no idea there was fitness center and pool at this location because I would have taken advantage of both!

This hotel chain has so many FREE amenities that I'm definitely going to stay at the Comfort Inn whenever I can find one. It is well worth your money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2013

A fair hotel, but plan on staying in your car looking for a parking space!!

Parking is EXTREMELY limited. I arrived at 11:00 PM and there was no availble parking spaces I have limited mobility and usually park in a handicap location. The hotel has two! I was told I could park in the bank lot down a hill and behind the hotel, but I would have to be gone by 7:30. The bank lot has signs for customer only parking. I waited for almost an hour for an available space with no success OR HELP FROM THE STAFF, There answer was parking is really a premium downtown. I am ilegally parked at a local fastfood resteraunt.

IF your auto is bigger than a compact you will have great difficulty fitting in the lot.

I will never stay again,

Room Tip: Don't stay
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank David N
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel had everything my travel partners and I were looking for in a hotel - a great price, clean rooms, comfortable beds and decent location. While many people related that they used the trolley to get downtown, we actually walked. It's about a 20 to 25 minute walk to the heart of downtown and we enjoyed the walk, although some locals seemed stunned that we would walk such a distance. Of the hotels we stayed at during this roadtrip around the Deep South, the breakfast at this hotel was a step above the rest - fresh fruit and hot food.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The city planners who are responsible for laying out Charleston, South Carolina streets laugh their heads off every time a tourist drives through the city. Parking in the historic area? Dining out every meal? Are you kidding? Are you rich? My husband and I aren't. We're just two retirees who love to travel and are tickled when we come across a bargain. From our home in Charlotte, we arrive in Charleston in a little over 3 hours. We totally miss the one-way streets and scary lane changes by checking into the Comfort Inn on Bee Street. We park the car, unload luggage and a cooler, filled will modest provisions for a 2 or 3-night stay. We check into our King Room, put away our "groceries" in the mini-fridge and jump on the free trolley--which takes us anywhere we want to go in the city. The only time we drive is to visit the plantations. So far, we have been to most of the major ones--Magnolia, Middleton, Drayton Hall. They are not cheap--even with a "Senior" discount. We take advantage of the hotel's free breakfast, make a sandwich for lunch and either heat up a frozen entrée in the room's microwave, or walk a short distance to one of the nearby fast food places for dinner. With the money we save on parking and eating out 3 times a day, on our last night we treat ourselves to a super meal at one of Charleston's many fine restaurants. The hotel staff is super. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The price--through one of the online Dollar-$aving sites is most reasonable. We don't have to stay in 5-star hotel to enjoy the beauty of Charleston--and we can go there a few times a year without putting a terrible dent in our budget.

Room Tip: If you join the "choiceprivileges" program, you can get rewards at 10 hotels within this g...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Welltraveled201
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent in this hotel 3 nights and we found it a very good choice. Free parking, free breakfast and free wifi. In our room we found a microwave and a refrigerator and it was perfect for us with a child. In the afternoon the hotel offers to the client coffee/tea and cookies. We could reach in 5 minutes by car the center of Charleston.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank valentinapilozzi
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights. Great hotel, friendly staff comfortable room but a little far from the historic district. There is a trolley that you can take outside the hotel to the visitor's centre but is never in time. You may end up waiting for a good 15 to 20 minutes. The last trolley on weekdays is around 8:30 but we found that it had left earlier. It is not a dependable mode of transportation back to the hotel. We ended up taking a taxi on most nights, which cost around 8 to 10 dollars from the historic district. The breakfast was good but on most mornings the area was full and we couldn't find seating. There are no restaurants closer to the hotel except a fast food place about which was a 10 minute. If you intend to travel by car, then this may work for you. For the next time I will look for one closer to the historic district

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple