“NEVER AGAIN!”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #50 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had. We were staying for the week due to a medical illness. We were given a smoking room on the 3rd floor. It smelled horrible. We didn't know the floor was smoking. We thought someone had broken the rules. I would think that a hotel that works with the local hospital would not give smoking rooms to guest which may be patients. We asked to change rooms and we were accommodated immediately by Melinda the next morning. She was very nice. If you are a tall person, this is not the hotel for you. The bathroom is horrible. The tubs are not clean. The sink is too low. My niece and nephew visited (ages 4 and 5) loved it because it was just the right size for them, except when they had to reach the toilet tissue that is too far from the toilet. I had to hand it to them because they couldn't reach it. The beds sheets are changed only by request. We did not know this. It was day 4 before this happened and we had to request it. If you stay here be sure to take your Lysol and shower shoes. You'll need them. We will never stay here again.

P.S. Please purchase a pool cover for the pool. Guests do not want to look out at a nasty dirty pool. That could have been prevented. Oh and the exercise room on the smoking floor, that just genius! Get healthy and inhale second-hand smoke all at the same time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Tia C

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed here many occasions over the past 5 years and the only thing consistent is the lack of consistency. You may have an immaculately cleaned room, you may not. Your breakfast might be hot, then again, it will most likely be dull and cold. The front desk workers are sub-par at best. Not much effort has been put into training and guest satisfaction over the last couple of years...Overall, you could do a lot worse when it comes to a Choice property but pay attention to the rate you are paying and see if it is worthy. You should not expect the good ole' Charlestown charm when staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ashtaylon
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have stayed at numerous Comfort Inns over the years. So, you ask, why I say this is the BEST? It comes down to the STAFF as the huge plus! From check-in, to check-out, I was treated like a valued guest. Vann (Front Desk) called me to let me know I had left my camera on the front counter -- how's that for HONESTY? Melinda and Vicky were helpful and informative with my every question/need. Stayed four nights and did not have one unpleasant experience with noise, cleanliness of my room, equipment malfunction (TV, etc.). On a scale of 1-10, this particular Comfort Inn receives a TEN! Thanks for a delightful visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights while visiting Charleston. Overall the hotel is very nice with a really big breakfast room with the standard fare, cereal, eggs, waffles etc. Parking may be an issue for those who take their car out everyday. We walked everywhere and managed to snag a spot underneath the building which are much bigger then the lot spots. There is a FREE shuttle that leaves every 30 minutes or so in front of the bank next door. Charleston has a really neat FREE shuttle service that takes you everywhere, just study the map and you can get to your destination. We liked to walk so the mile or so jaunt to the Visitor's Center was no problem and from there it's another 1/2 mile or more to town, depending on where you want to go. Rooms are nice and clean.

Room Tip: There are some hospitals in the area and you do hear sirens but other then that it's a good plac...
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This is a descent, affordable hotel in an otherwise very expensive city for travelers. I was able to stay two weekend nights for less than half what other hotels were charging in downtown. Granted, this hotel is a long walk into downtown, but there is a free trolley that picks up in front of the hotel. I tried that once but it took quite awhile and still puts you off north by the visitor's center (yet another 15 minute walk into the middle of the tourist area.) We found that driving and paying to park was still much more affordable than paying to stay downtown - a cab ride back at night cost us $12.

On to the hotel itself. I wasn't overly enthused with the cleanliness of the hotel when I arrived. The pillows looked dingy and the sheets were super wrinkled. I also immediately tossed one pillow for the duration of my stay as there were two different, long hairs on it. Aside from that the room was pretty clean. There bathroom wasn't shining, that's for sure, and the toiletries were all half used. Definitely a poor housekeeping crew. Then the traditional issue with a chain hotel - the air condition. I set it as low as it would go and consistently woke up in the middle of the night sweating. It never got cool in our room and it was April - I hate to stay in this room in August!

The room itself was updated very nicely with a modern color scheme and furniture, which made up for the drab experience otherwise. There's free parking, coffee in the lobby, a business center, friendly staff, and again, the trolley outside. So for the price, it will suffice.

2  Thank Kreskin2207
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I had a lot of problems getting to Charleston and only wanted to get to my hotel and rest which seemed like an easy enough task to complete but with hotels you never know. Unfortunately this wasn't an easy task at this hotel. I was assigned a non-smoking room when I specifically paid for smoking in advance nor did the key cards work right so it made it difficult to relax like I wanted but the staff made up for all of the errors and were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Tammy A
Reviewed April 21, 2013

While not right in the heart of historic Charlston, this is a very good hotel for the price. It is clean, the staff friendly and helpful. It has a great breakfast and the "purple" DASH line stops near the front of the hotel every 30 minutes and it takes you to the visitor center to connect to other DASH lines. The Homney Grill is within walking distance, as well as some very nice homes on the way. It is easy to get to 17 if you have a car and want to visit nearby islands or the plantations.