“Great place to stay in Charleston”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Nice place to stay for a reasonable price. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Vann was best. They helped us celebrate a birthday and even had a birthday gift bag. The rooms were clean and the continental breakfast was very good. I loved the fresh waffles and biscuits. The parking is an issue late at night so we took the free trolley to town and a cab back at night. It removes all need to worry about drinking and driving. The beds were comfy. Not an opulent place but simple and clean rooms. Great base for exploring.

Room Tip: Ask for the penthouse upgrade
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston

Reviewed March 15, 2013

The hotel itself wasn't terrible. Room clean, but the bathroom smelled. The channels on TV were not worth watching. Is is so hard to get more than 25?

But the service at the desk was terrible. After being told that I could get picked up from the airport 6 times, I stood in the cold for over an hour waiting for them. Ended up getting a taxi, which I would have been happy to do if I had only known. The manager expressed disbelief that I had been told they could pick me up. Her way of making it up was to give me a pack of pretzels. Half way through my stay, my key was deprogramed, my companions also had this problem. Then on top of this whole fiasco they charged my room to the wrong persons credit card. In
stead of trying to call the hotel to fix this I just sent a check. I didn't feel they could fix it without messing up.

The parking is a hassle. If you don't park before 7-8 pm you have to park next door then move your car before 8 am the next morning.

My traveling companions & I agree this was not a hotel to revisit. Find another place if you can.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We chose this hotel as an economical option, close to historic Charleston, 15-20 min. walk past lovely old buildings & pretty parks. We were there in Jan., and felt safe walking to the hotel at night.Local bus will also take you downtown, just outside the door. We were driving from Hilton Head, so it was a very convenient loc'n off the highway and easy to find. Staff were all very friendly & helpful, and buffet breakfast had lots of choices.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 11, 2013

The location is great, right across from the hospital if you're visiting a patient, and not far from historic Charleston if your a vacationer. The rooms are dated and a little musty but for the price it was fine. Room was clean but you can't clean away rust stains or chips in the tub. We did have a problem with there being enough hot water at peak hours, mornings and dinner time. Our suite was huge, pull out couch was comfortable for one adult, but it would have been noisy if it was summer as our windows looked right onto the 3rd floor pool. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The free trolley into the historic area did not work well for us. It only runs every 30-60 minutes depending on time of day and you may need to transfer depending where you are going. Our time was limited so we took a cab several times. Cabs are a flat $5 within the downtown city limits and then $1 per person. A bit more than paying for parking but saved so much time. Overall a good deal, especially if you are planning to be out and about all the time. I'm not sure I would want to hang out in this room for days on end though.

Room Tip: Suite 314 would be horrible in the summer as your windows would look right out on the pool on the 3r...
2  Thank JGWIL
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is totally bound in on all sides. They are slightly north of downtown, and boxed in by the local VA hospital. They have way more rooms than parking, and several times I was forced to park in the nearby bank, and then had to get up and move my car by 7:30 in the morning.

We called before hand to make sure they had a shuttle from the airport to the hotel. When one of our party arrived at the airport and after four calls found that no one was coming, they do not pick up at the airport.

After speaking to the manager regarding my room being partly paid for with money, and partly paid for by points, i was assured that it was arranged. When the money part of it ran out,i was called and asked if i was staying longer, even though i had 4 more nights on points! i was then informed that i would have to come back from my excursion in Charleston, and move my belongings to another room! I declined to do that.

The rooms were small and needed remodeling, and a stronger hand at cleaning. TV consisted of 25 channels, and while that is not unusual in city Hotels, this hotel needs to step up what they are offering. There is not much in the way of amenities, and they ask your indulgence for deficiencies in there amenities and service.

In all, I would not stay here again. I travel a lot for business, but when I travel for recreation, I look for a home away from home. This was not it.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I don't usually write reviews for hotels but I was so pleasantly surprised by this hotel that I feel I should share my experience. This is my first stay at a Comfort Inn and I was extremely skeptical considering the low price and the pictures online. We ended up at the hotel after booking on Hotwire, so we blindly made a reservation for a "hotel in Downtown Charleston" without knowing exactly which hotel we would end up at. I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed when I booked on Hotwire and it was revealed that it was the Comfort Inn.

However, this hotel has been recently renovated. The rooms have comfortable modern decor and the lobby is nice. It's not a five star hotel by any means, but for the money it is well worth checking out. The staff is polite and attentive. Parking is free, which is not at all common for the hotels in this area (it's usually $15-$30 per day). It isn't located in the heart of the city center, but if you don't mind walking a bit you can stroll the historic streets. Or it is just a short cab ride to all the popular tourist areas.

All in all we had a great weekend getaway and saved about $300 by staying at the Comfort Inn. I would recommend it for those on a budget who want to visit the downtown Charleston area. My only tip would be to book on the Comfort Inn website. We got a pretty good rate on Hotwire, but their prepaid Internet rate was about $15 less a night then our non-refundable Hotwire rate.

• Stayed: March 2013
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn Charleston. We are always excited when we hear our guest talk about their stay and the wonderful time they had in Charleston.l

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel 3 nights. Our Suite was very pretty and clean. My other family members also liked their rooms. Employees were very nice. The complimentary breakfast was good with eggs, waffles, sausage, biscuits, cereal, pastries and beverages. My king size bed was so comfortable. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Love the corner Suite with fireplace, kitchen, refrigerator. Large rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
comforinn11, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

We appreciate you staying with us. We take pride in our hotel and work hard to keep it up to the standards that are expected from our guest. We are glad that the staff performed well during your stay. They are a vital part of this hotel and if they do not do well then the hotel does not do well. Thank you for the compliment about our breakfast. We look forward to you staying with us again.