“good choice for a reasonably priced hotel”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Linden, New Jersey
“good choice for a reasonably priced hotel”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

this hotel is half the price (or less) of the fancy downtown hotels, so don't expect a lot of frills. But on the twice that I've stayed there (for the Charleston Library conference) I can say that the room was surprisingly good-sized, clean, and well appointed - in contrast to some of the other reviews, all was in working order and no dirt to be seen. Housekeeping was excellent. The disadvantage is that it's a 30 min walk into the historic area (ok with me as I like walking) and there are few amenities, restaurants etc in the area. But the staff are extremely friendly and courteous. Contra to other reviews, no problems with reservation or check in; in fact a wonderful lady at the desk made fresh coffee after I arrived very late due to storm related flight issues and was super helpful. I wouldn't stay here for a romantic or ambience laden tourist visit, but for a place to stay during a busy conference it works just fine. Tip of the hat to the staff for going the extra mile.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for the kind message. We sincerely appreciate you staying at the Comfort Inn Charleston during your two trips to Charleston. I do agree that our housekeeping is excellent and the staff is extremely friendly and courteous. We are proud to deliver Southern Hospitality to our entire guest. We look forward to being your hotel of choice for next year’s Charleston Library Conference.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Was very disappointed by this property. The staff members were generally friendly and helpful, with the exception of one surly woman at the front desk. Housekeeping was abysmal. The room was so dirty that we had to clean it ourselves, and even then, housekeeping could not maintain it. And as for getting coffee refreshed in the room - forget it! The free breakfast is a nice idea in theory, but it never changed from day to day. Food quality was poor, and the hot water for tea/coffee was often lukewarm at best. Rooms were not even close to being soundproof. If you have to stay here, do not stay for more than 2-3 nights. Any longer is too long. The place has potential, but it is largely untapped.

1 Thank A W
Thank you for sharing your comments. I agree that our staff members are friendly and helpful. I am sorry that your room was not cleaned to perfection. I assure you that the housekeeping department takes pride in their rooms and if they had been informed would have gone out of their way to make your room perfect.

Travelers are raving about these Charleston hotels

Goshen, IN
Reviewed November 7, 2012

In Charleston for business and decided to save a couple bucks and stay at the Bee Street Comfort Inn. From the get go this was a nightmare...took 3 phone calls to get my reservations e-mailed to me. The cab driver that brought me from the airport to the hotel actually asked me if I was certain I wanted to be dropped off! The room was filthy and very dark. The bedspread was so stained I felt sick. I am still waiting for the manager to call me back to express my unhappiness. I did check out early - when I informed the woman at the desk why I was checking out she simply said "oh, I'm sorry about that." No attempt to correct/fix the situation. Customer service/satisfaction is NOT important to this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
I am very sorry that your stay at the Comfort Inn represented a nightmare. We pride ourselves in making sure our guests are completely satisfied during their stay. I sincerely wish you had shared this during your stay as we would have made every effort possible to guarantee your happiness.
Greer, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Our second experience at The Comfort Inn wasn't as great. We booked directly and got a great rate. When I booked, I specifically asked for a room at the end of the hall away from the elevators and was assured we could get a non-smoking king further away. When we checked in, guess what we got? Same room on a different floor!! They could not move us because they claimed they were booked solid. Thankfully it wasn't a noisy night. Had to park in the dirt under the overpass which is kind of a sketchy area security-wise.
Breakfast was just bad coffee for us because it was too crowded.
Can't say I'd stay again if I can't be sure I could book the room I want. Once you get there, it's usually too late to go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Any floor with room numbers 12 or 14 will be close to elevators. Rise early to beat the crowd for a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
comforinn11, Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you for staying at the Comfort Inn again. I am so sorry that you were not able to get the room that you ask for. I do apologize that we were not able to move you to a different room. I promise you if you were told we were booked solid we were booked solid. It is always our goal to make the guest happy in their room.
Brookville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed Monday through a Friday. Rate was very reasonable except Friday which I thought raised up a little high. Room very clean, shower bath clean. Room had fridge and Microwave and coffee pot. Bring your own coffee theirs isn't to good. Front desk very friendly and efficient.
Breakfast typical now a days. It was the best deal I could find at a convenient location to downtown. Pool is outside, so didn't use. parking is at a real Premium although the overflow area worked and is close. What the hotel considers walking distance for restaurants would be pushing it although both are very good.

Room Tip: Away from elevator
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for mentioning our front desk staff. We pride ourselves in guest service. I am glad that you found this hotel convenient to downtown and I hope you were able to take advantage of the free trolley. Walking distance can be long when you are walking the beautiful cobble stone streets of Historic Charleston. I trust you will stay with us again.
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed November 1, 2012

At a recent stay at this hotel I had an encounter with a Manager named Vicki. After making arrangements with the front desk for an additional nights stay Vicki could not locate the record of this interaction and instead of attempting to resolve it she became rude. Further she couldn't even locate records of the previous three nights stay. Instead of taking responsibility once it was clear she had made a mistake she attempted to blame me. What we have here is someone who hasn't been trained properly and is poorly educated attempting to execute a job far above her competence. Beware that your records may also be lost and as this hotel is independently owned their corporate overseer can offer no assistance. Look elsewhere, there are cleaner better places to stay downtown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bryan K
Thank you for allowing the Comfort Inn Charleston to accommodate your tenant. I trust that the person that stayed under your name enjoyed his stay. While the hotel can provide excellent customer service to those whom allow it you nor your tenant were able to be accommodated. Our records were clear of the stay under another name. However the fact that you found a better hotel is due to the behavior that was displayed in the lobby. We represent Choice Hotels and they too experienced your outrage. This hotel prides itself in Southern Hospitality to all of our guest each and everyday
Southport, Maine
Reviewed October 21, 2012

1) Make sure you flip the blanket over -- I did and found a collection of spots! I carried the blankets down to the front desk and asked for a room rate adjustment and clean blankets. When housekeeping made the bed the next day -- no blankets were provided. At no time was a 'Do Not Disturb' sign hung because there was no sign provided on the back of the door. 2) The bathroom, mirrors, TV and furniture all showed signs of being wiped with a rag -- a clean surface does not show tell tale signs of wiping. 3) The carpet along the bed frame and around the furniture showed various pieces of wrappers and dust/dirt. 4) Management provided a room rate reduction of $32.80 for the blanket inconvenience for two nights. This was a most unpleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family