“Great!”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #50 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed September 10, 2012

All the front desk staff were extremely nice. The breakfast was really good, had an excellent variety of pastries and restuarant stlye seating with comfortable booths! The room was very modern and the pool was nice and refreshing. Housekeeping staff knocked on door at 9:37 am and woke us up before checkout time.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
comforinn11, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for staying with us. We look forward to you staying with us on your next trip to Charleston.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had 2 rooms for 2 nights. The hotel was clean, our wireless internet worked fine & the breakfast was good each morning. I did have a chair in my room break when I sat in it. Luckily, I wasn't injured. Parking is an issue here. There are not enough spaces for all of the guests & many cars were parked underneath a nearby freeway overpass. This is right across the street from the VA hopital & just across the bridge when you enter Charleston from the south on 17 highway. But, it can be tricky to find as there are no direction signs close by the hotel. It's too far to walk to the historic district so you have to either drive (which is what we did) or use the free shuttle service provided by the city (we didn't use it because of the hours it ran). I could have saved at least $25 a night per room by staying at another hotel 10 -15 miles further out from the historic district & driving a little more than what I did. The next time I am in Charleston that is what I will do.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 18, 2012

The hotel has all the standard features.
Do not book this hotel if you want to visit Historic Charleston. Although there is public,cost free transportation, it is difficult to use. The trolleys are not frequent enough, you have to change lines, and there are no late evening schedules. Parking is difficult if you take your own car to the center of the district. It is better to book a hotel close to the Visitor Center, all trolleys and other shuttles have stops there.

Room Tip: Rooms close to elevators and ice machines are noisy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We chose another property first but were moved to this one and were very happy with the switch. Our key was to be on the free downtown trolley route and we were literally steps away. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful, they even let us check in early - noon! Property is a bit hard to find in the rain coming right off the highway but once you are there, very easy to get back on the road. Room was clean, adequate, not sure about the other reviews. However, there was a storm during the night and it blew out the boiler, so no hot showers early morning. They fixed that ASAP and all was good. Good breakfast to get you going. Very pleasant stay. Also for information, right across the street from the VA Hospital, in case you need that facility.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Smelled horrible, couldn't even sleep, beds were not comfortable. Breakfast was terrible, can't really park your car. I did like the swimming pool, but that was it. Check Comfort suites (not inn) in west ashley, or double tree inn. Stay away.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My girlfriend and I were staying at the comfort inn on Bee Street in Charleston S.C. from the 20th of July to the 22nd of July to attend a family wedding, and the first thing we noticed when we walked in was the smell of mildew in the room, which was quite overpowering. We decided to let that go because we were only going to be there two nights and most of the time we would be out of the room; however the smell got worse after our showers. The A.C. unit also was sending out a funky smell, but it was on the otherside of the room so we stayed away from it as we couldn't stand to turn it off in the heat-wave we had while staying there. After the long day of the wedding and reception, we came back to the room at crash before having to be up early for our flight to FL, where we were going to continue our vacation.
I was woken up at about 2:30 a.m. feeling like something was crawling on me - I was scared to see what it was, but once something bit me on the shoulder I jumped up and turned the lights on only to see a trail of ants crawling along the bed and on my arm (probably 15 to 20 ants!). I woke my girlfriend up and told her to get out of the bed. I went down to the front desk and was understandably upset while talking to the woman at the front desk who said, “you need to just calm down sir” to which I replied “I just woke up to ants biting me in my bed!” !” This did not matter to her - she looked in the computer and said there was no more rooms to move us to and asked us what room it was, and I told her 426. She said maintenance would be up in a few min. About 5 min went by and the same woman from the front desk knocked at our door… she handed me a can of insecticide and air freshener. . After I had sprayed the ants my girlfriend read the can and it said it should be a well-ventilated area and people should not be exposed for a couple hours! We were also given new sheets to put on the bed ourselves, and an “Apology” bag of popcorn and two mints… needless to say at 2:40 a.m. you don’t quite feel like changing your own hotel room sheets and sitting down for some popcorn.
In the morning on our way out the same woman at the front desk gave me the assistant Managers card.. I called once in the morning the next day and did not leave a message, and I called in the afternoon and left another message explaining what had happened… and still no response (all these calls had to be made while still on vacation in FL with family). I called the corporate headquarters at 800-300-8800, and I was told they would file a report and send it to the hotel because it was a privately run hotel and they would call me back within 72 hours. I asked who I could go to if I did not get a response and was told I really could not because it was privately managed. And guess what - I have not received a call from one person regarding this awful experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa S
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights here & were very impressed with this hotel. I have to admit, after reading some of the reviews here I was kind of scared to try it & was worried about the parking. We arrived around 8pm on a Friday night & there was ample parking yet. We were able to keep that spot until we left because we used the FREE trolley system that stopped right next door!
This hotel was very clean & modern. We stayed in a queen junior suite & loved it. All of the furnishings were so modern & the junior suite had a loveseat sleeper. There were supposed to be 2 queen beds, but there's no way these could have been queen. They had to be full beds & were VERY uncomfortable. That is my only complaint about this hotel though.
The breakfast was WONDERFUL & had biscuits & gravy one day & sausage & eggs another day, along with the typical baglels, cereal, yogurt, pastries, toast, fruit, waffles, etc. The dining room was very big compared to most other hotels offering free breakfasts. All of the staff was very friendly & helpful.
I did book this room 6 months in advance, but for a junior suite it was only $159 a night. I did extensive research before booking this hotel & this was the best hotel for the money that was closest to being downtown I could find without staying in the pricey hotels downtown.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family