“Great place!”

Comfort Inn Downtown Charleston
Ranked #49 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights here & were very impressed with this hotel. I have to admit, after reading some of the reviews here I was kind of scared to try it & was worried about the parking. We arrived around 8pm on a Friday night & there was ample parking yet. We were able to keep that spot until we left because we used the FREE trolley system that stopped right next door!
This hotel was very clean & modern. We stayed in a queen junior suite & loved it. All of the furnishings were so modern & the junior suite had a loveseat sleeper. There were supposed to be 2 queen beds, but there's no way these could have been queen. They had to be full beds & were VERY uncomfortable. That is my only complaint about this hotel though.
The breakfast was WONDERFUL & had biscuits & gravy one day & sausage & eggs another day, along with the typical baglels, cereal, yogurt, pastries, toast, fruit, waffles, etc. The dining room was very big compared to most other hotels offering free breakfasts. All of the staff was very friendly & helpful.
I did book this room 6 months in advance, but for a junior suite it was only $159 a night. I did extensive research before booking this hotel & this was the best hotel for the money that was closest to being downtown I could find without staying in the pricey hotels downtown.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cheryl S

Reviewed July 23, 2012

Do not be fooled, this hotel is NOT in walking distance to downtown! It's super inconvenient to historic charleston. However, the breakfast was great! Parking is limited.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank computer23
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Husband was having surgery and this hotel is the closest, having it close made my life less stressful. I could walk to the hospital and not pay for parking that could cost six dollars a day. Rooms were clean and the breakfast was good enough. The one thing that needs updating is there work-out room, machines were either run-down or broken. You can get a hospital rate which is reasonabe, alot better than sleeping in the room at the hospital's pull of bed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mountaincrazy
Reviewed July 22, 2012

After reading so many bad reviews, I was worried. No need. We stayed in room 414, a King non smoking. It was newly updated with trendy decor, new carpet, wide flat screen TV, microwave, mini fridge and granite in the bath. It was clean and comfortable.

The only drawback was the noise. Room 414 and 412 are right across from the elevators, ice machine and guest laundry. Many loud people until after midnight due to a family reunion also staying there. There were no more rooms left for us to switch and most of Charleston was already booked solid so we stuck it out. Breakfast was continental and since I'm gluten-free, only yogurt and coffee for me.

Location was a bit far from all the touristy stuff on King, Meeting, Market and East Bay streets but we were there to visit our son who wasn't far and had a place for us to park. Would stay there again. BUT I will call and book directly with Comfort Inn instead of thru Bookit. Bookit charged $150+ for this room including taxes. When we listed my spouse's card for incidentals at check-in, our room rate statement said it would have been $109! Feeling very ripped off by Bookit.com.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2012 via mobile

Bad location, bad food, terrible atmosphere. Just simply trash.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank flying_dutchman_US
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We always stay at Comfort Inns and particularly like the one on Bee St. in Charleston, SC. My husband is a disabled veteran and we travel long distances for his specialized medical care. In Charleston the Veterans Administration Hospital is right across the street, and at all the Comfort Inns we get a disabled vets rate that is lower than I've been able to find at any other motel/hotel chain. Plus the Charleston staff is absolutely top-rate, gracious and accommodating, from the front desk staff to the housekeeping staff -- competent, friendly, and so respectful and concerned for the Nation's veterans -- I cannot tell you how many times various staff have said to my disabled husband, "Thank you for your service!" Here are the other reasons we are loyal to Comfort Inns: clean, spacious rooms; refrigerator & microwave oven as well as restaurants that will deliver food so we don't have to go out and can bring food and minimize our meals expenses during trips we have to take for my husband's medical care; the "bottomless coffee pot" with delicious fresh coffee available in the lobby 24/7.....always our first stop whenever we arrive after a long drive; and we relly appreciate the excellent breakfast set-up in a room off the lobby where hot food (Belgian waffles, biscuits and gravy, toasted bagels, Danish, etc.) are available along with hot beverages, juices, fresh fruit, and various cereals -- something for everyone. We have never found a hotel/motel we enjoy more.

Room Tip: If you are disabled or elderly with any sort of mobility impairment, request a room close as possibl...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kariin M
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The hotel has been upgraded with new furniture, carpet, etc since my last review. Stayed 3 nights here for what 1 night in the snooty hotels downtown wanted, and slept like a baby. Room was clean and comfortable. There is now a free shuttle bus to downtown that stops right outside the motel. Again, this is a compromise between a reasonable rate vs. access to downtown.

I have read the negative reviews here, and have to admit that the comments about the poor breakfast are somewhat true. The food is inexpensive, but not the cheapest, as some have alleged. Waffles, sausage, cereal, donuts, and danish are not exactly "the cheapest". Trust me--I've had a lot worse. And as for the plastic plates/cutlery, I've never had anything else at a Quality/Comfort Inn. The problem is that the dining area is inadequate for a 7 story hotel. When everybody comes down at once (like 8-9 am), it is a pain in the butt to wait in a line 4 deep to cook a waffle. I skipped the breakfast 2/3 times in this stay because of this problem. But again, what do you want for this $$ in a $$$$$$ town?

The walls are not "paper thin" as claimed by one reviewer. Yes, I have heard late night partiers coming in, but it is no worse than other motels of similar quality.

If you don't like it here, go on downtown and pay $300 a night for a "nicer" place. (Days Inn downtown wants $150 a night.) Get real people! Ya gets what ya pays for.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank weeksvillejoe
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you so much for staying at the Comfort Inn Charleston during you visit to Charleston. . We sincerely appreciate the fact that you included in your review about the renoviations. The free trolley around Charleston makes for a great way to see the town. Save your gas money and spend it on a delicious meal. I hope that you will make the Comfort Inn Charleston your home away from home whenever you get the opportunity to visit Charleston.