“Subpar B&B”

Battery Carriage House Inn
Ranked #19 of 39 Charleston B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were temped by the hauntings that have been documented here. The reviews led us to believe that the price was worth the trip and that the accommodations were plush. They are not close to plush. I feel that a high-end bed and breakfast should have an hors d'oeuvres hour and a fairly special breakfast. The hors d'oeuvres consisted of three pieces of cheese for the whole B&B-about 1 inch by 3 inches, and the worst wine possible. The breakfast was simple continental, definitely not up to B&B standards, served in our room. We almost broke our necks on the carpet that continuously slid on the slick floor. And the floor was the loudest squeaky floor that I've ever heard. Beds were fine. We were greeted by the manager upon our arrival, and we found her to be out of sorts and not forthcoming with information. We felt as if we were imposing on her to ask anything. There were a few basic things about the B&B and the room that were never explained. And the parking - I was told that there was plenty, but it was scarce and we were told that it would be nonexistent in a few days due to a new city regulation. I hope that they get this fixed. The other concierges were more friendly and accommodating. We may possibly have had a little haunting, which is fun, and the neighborhood is beautiful, and the story of the house quite interesting. I recommend this with hesitation, but I must admit that the overall experience was okay.

Room Tip: Room 8 and 10 are said to be haunted.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Artsy12

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm going to preface this by saying that I grew up in a very very old house and live in an old house now. And I've lived in the South all my life. So, I understand that bugs happen.

My husband and I recently stayed in Room 11, upper carriage. We did a quick check-in, was shown our room, and headed back out. A couple hours later we were able to move our car close to the B&B so got our bags and carried our things up, unfortunately to find a dead roach on the floor. I guess management is spraying, but I believe they need to make some changes to the room, and possibly all their rooms. In our room, there are too many gaps that might allow unwanted creatures inside; gaps that with some proper care-taking, could be eliminated. In particular, and particularly gross, is a large hole in the floor beside a pipe that runs from somewhere down below, through the room, to somewhere above. The hole is easily two-inches round.

Aside from the one bug we saw -- roaches travel alone, right? — the place didn't seem well-kept. Paint is bulging and about to chip off in the bedroom, paint is peeling in big ways above the shower -- I suppose they need a more powerful vent — and the room itself needs a very good cleaning. The baseboards were filthy. The very old, dingy rug in the middle of the room has some large stain. One window sill was littered with crud. We would have complained at the time, but the furniture needs to be moved and a real cleaning needs to happen. We just wanted to have a little fun in Charleston and be on our way.

I didn't want to take the time at check-out to fill out the comment card, nor did I feel like staying longer to talk to someone. I was going to email the owner to share our dissatisfaction, but there's no email link on the Website. So, I'll share this publicly: I think the B&B owner(s) should do better by their guests.

Oh, and the breakfast really is 'continental.' You'll be able to select cereal, bagel w/ cream cheese, yogurt. (Couldn't they offer a hardboiled egg or piece of quiche?) And the night before you'll need to know the 30-minute time range the next morning that you'll want your tray of food brought up. It's not my favorite system of getting some breakfast. I'd rather walk down to a breakfast room, in the hours an establishment serves, and choose from a small menu.

I do not recommend this B&B and will not return.

Room Tip: Choose a different B&B.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I hate to write a bad review, but this place was a big disappointment. When I think of a B&B I think of a grand old house with spacious rooms with common areas for dining or relaxing by a fireplace. The pictures are accurate, but rather than having rooms available in the big house, the owners rents out rooms in the cellar of the house. They are bare bones with old furniture and old bathroom fixtures(saw rust in our room). Each room has a separate entrance to the small cellar rooms. They are street level and you have no access tho the grand house that you see on the Internet....not even that big porch. The house you see on the Internet Is a private residence.
My guess is the owner of this big house is trying to defer some of his upkeep costs by advertising a B&B but really just renting out the basement/cellar. Really a basic room that was probably furnished back in the 70's.
Breakfast......well again I usually think of warm homemade muffins and a chef specialty of eggs, etc. Battery Carriage does NOT offer that. Your choice is coffee and juice with either raisin bran, toast, bagel and or yogurt. Again bare bones. You can eat in the outside garden if it's not raining or your room. No dining room available to guests
Pass on this place and try somewhere else. A Marroit room with no view would be a step up and probably cost you less.

Only positive I can give is it's a nice location.

Room Tip: Make sure they send you several pictures of the room you are considering as well as common areas bef...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Joe S
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My husband and I just spent the weekend at the Carriage House Inn for a belated anniversary. We stayed in room # 1. The room was very small.On Saturday, I heard a noise coming from the wall. My brother and sister in law were visiting for a while and then they heard the noise. I went to the wall by the bed and tapped the wall. We heard scratching and scurrying coming from the wall. It sounded like rats or racoons that were scared of the noise I made. A piece of thin wood actually moved from the other side of the wall, as if whatever the critter was, leaned on the wall. The bottom portion of the wall was a thin piece of plywood. Shocking! This is an 8 million dollar mansion! We weren't allowed to tour the house main house. I have stayed in much nicer hotel rooms for a fraction of what we paid their. We reported this upon check out, and never was offered an apology. That was so very disappointing. Also, they do not cook anything. The breakfast consisted of a continental breakfast. So on the morning of checkout we went out for a nice hot breakfast.
On the bright side: The bed was comfortable and they gave us a bottle of champayne which after we returned from a late dinner was in our room chilling.

Room Tip: It wasn't worth the effort.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mary b
Reviewed November 10, 2012

i spent 5 nights at this charming inn...pleasant and friendly staff--always very attentive and helpful throughout my stay...i stayed in Room 8 at the back of the property near the garden--very quiet and private--my queen size room was appropriately sized and tastefully charming with wood shutters and the many windows, a canopy bed with a charming and delicate lace canopy, a couple of comfortable fabric chairs, a desk/table, and a couple of additional small tables in the room with an additional fold-up table in the closet and a very nice sized bathroom...i don't agree with another review of Room 8 that the room was not comfortable--i found it extremely comfortable and simply charming...the desk/table in the room can easily accomodate the service items for breakfast...it is accurate that there is only one small shelf in the bathroom-perhaps it is not large enough when 2 people stay in the room--a suggestion to the Carriage House is to add a small standing shelf to accomodate parties of 2 as the bathroom has plenty of room for an extra shelf...i found Room 8 to be very comfortable and cozy, simply charming and quaint and would definitely stay in Room 8 again...as for the smell and a ghost--I did not encounter ANY smell in the 5 nights I spent in the room--perhaps it was the ghost the other reviewer was looking for but failed to recognize...Battery House Inn is perfectly located! I wouldn't stay anywhere else--so quiet and a very beautiful gem off the beaten path!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank dance_team2002
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed in one of the second floor rooms,which gave us several windows,a porch, and a very quiet and peaceful view of the garden/veranda area. Room was exactly as described on the website. We got there before check,in time but the person at the desk was very helpful with ideas on where to go and what to see till check in time. Also very helpful with info,on the parking situation. Excellent continental breakfast. It had rained the night before so we had it delivered to the room instead of the garden area. Silver tray, cloth napkins- very good presentation and fresh fruit, etc. the only reason it is not five stars was the AC never really got all the moisture out of the air. On the other hand, it was the end of June and it had rained that afternoon and evening. We would stay there again but maybe when there is a little less humidity. Overall they lived up to their website. Lovely decor and nice southern ambience. Location in the historic district is a plus. You can walk everywhere .

Room Tip: Suggest second floor room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MLK1357
Reviewed November 7, 2012

i spent five nights in this wonderful place.....the people and service were fantastic--attentive, friendly and extremely helpful....my king size room was beautifully appointed with great furniture...the bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very quiet....i had breakfast on the covered piazza/veranda every morning...it overlooked the lovely garden and was private and very charming....across the street was a lovely park and beyond that the water...it was in a very safe and quiet residential area with beautiful mansions all around....i preferred the south battery area over the more lively/noisy downtown---east bay street was great to have lunch/dinner at but i loved returning to my retreat! the evening wine, cheese and crackers were perfect while chatting with friends and absorbing the atmosphere! pretty garden with sculpture, fountains and an arbor under which one could have breakfast--outside my room was more convenient....one night i was able to enjoy the thunder/lightning and rain shower under this covered piazza while sipping tasty red wine.....and the dark chocolate coins placed on the bed in the evening were a delicious treat! highly recommended and i will definitely stay there when visiting charleston again....very gracious staff!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends