My wife and I spent two nights at the Carriage House recently. Check-in went well, the girl at the desk was very pleasant. However, upon entering our room, we were immediately disappointed. I would say "shabby" was my first thought. There was a canopy bed, a small desk with no chair, a small table with an ice bucket and a couple glasses and one small table by the bed. Oh yes, two small armless chairs with stained seat covers. Even the pictures on the wall were crooked. The room said nothing about where we were, just totally void of charm.
Bathroom had a pedestal sink with a small shelf above, no room to put anything. Shower was a decent size with a tiled seat, some of the tile were cracked and when my wife put her foot up to shave her leg a tile actually broke off and fell on her foot.
Once we brought our luggage up and set up the racks to hold them, things got even tighter. We found it very difficult to get comfortable.
We had our breakfast delivered to our room the next morning. That was fun. Had to move the ice bucket tray to the bed to make room for the food tray. It's fun trying to eat cereal from a bowl balanced on your leg, coffee and juice on the floor, try not to kick those over, what a joke. Might explain the stained seat covers.
One reason we wanted to stay at Carriage House was that it is allegedly haunted. We were in Room 8, some time home of the headless torso. I didn't see or "feel" anything. My wife woke once each night to a very foul odor in the room. We haven't been able to figure out if it was a visitation, our dirty laundry or mold in the air conditioner.
All things considered, we would not return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our historic Charleston inn offers true Southern charm accommodations amongst a backdrop of one of the most serene areas on the peninsula. We are located right in the heart of Charleston's iconic Battery area and only steps away from the promenade with stunning views of the Charleston Harbor. You will be close enough to everything you wish to see and do while enjoying our fair city, while returning to relax in your peaceful slice of Lowcountry paradise. Let our staff guide you during your Charleston journey, and help ease any potential travel woes. We are always more than happy to assist in any way we can! Tea and cookies will be here for your midday pick-me-up, and unwind before enjoying an evening on the town with wine and cheese in our lobby. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Battery Carriage House Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1843 Battery Carriage House Inn b&b
- 1843 Battery Carriage House Hotel Charleston