“Once again”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This is our "go to" place and we have never been disappointed. Starting with the front desk
the staff was great, helpful, and informative. Was told they had just put new mattresses in and I have never slept better, also the hotel is very quiet. Walking distance to all great restaurants and shopping. We won't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Have used several different rooms due to family circumstances and all rooms are comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Brooke M
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Wow! Your wonderful review is as good as it can possibly get for all of us here at the Ansonborough Inn! There is nothing better than knowing we have become a "home away from home" for our guests and that we are as much a part of their Charleston experience as harbor views and seafood dinners! Your review lets us all know that we have succeeded in our number one priority of making guests feel welcome and appreciated, while ensuring that they have a great visit to this wonderful city. I am so delighted to see that everything about your numerous visits to the Ansonborough Inn has been so great that you wouldn't stay anywhere else. I am also happy to know that you have had the chance to stay in a variety of room types and that we have the perfect configurations for our various needs. Thanks again for this great review and for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor--I look forward to seeing you again soon!

There are newer reviews for Ansonborough Inn

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Had the pleasure of staying at the Ansonborough Inn at the recommendation of a friend and they weren't wrong. Awesome room, awesome staff, great breakfast and perfect location. Close walking distance to downtown and some great restaurants. Our room was on the first floor which a number of people have said were noisy but ours, room 106, was very quiet. Maybe we were lucky but the Inn seemed crowded based on the parking lot and activity but we didn't experience any excessive noise.

If you get the chance, take advantage of the wine & cheese every evening along with the roof top deck. Just make sure you are prepared to guard your food from the seagulls. :) Will definitely stay here again if we get the chance.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this fantastic review on TripAdvisor! I am so delighted to learn that everything about your time with us was awesome. There is truly nothing better than knowing our guests have enjoyed both their time in Charleston, as well as their time with us. It is so meaningful to all of our staff to hear that we have succeeded in our number one goal of providing friendly assistance, as well as memorable and comfortable lodging! It is also great to learn that you had time to relax on the rooftop terrace! Thank you again for sharing this great review with the TripAdvisor Community and, above all, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I hope that I have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Wow! What a gem! A converted warehouse with exposed brick walls and wood beams in an intimate setting. Conveniently located near everything. Across the street from a 24 hr supermarket. Our room, # 333, was huge! King sized comfortable bed, large bathroom, couch, large window facing east, and very high ceilings. Very quiet. Front desk was very helpful. The included breakfast was fine. We'll stay there again!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the third floor, away from the roof terrace, and around the corner from the Harris...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I am so happy to learn that you had such a great time at the Ansonborough Inn and that you enjoyed everything about your time with us. It is wonderful to know that our location was convenient, your room was peaceful, and our staff was friendly. There is nothing better than seeing familar faces walk in the door, so I can't wait to have the opportunity to say, "Welcome Back!" Thanks again for writing this lovely review and, above all, thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

A traveler expects several things from a hotel: good location, comfortable room, attentive staff and value. The Ansonborough Inn delivers all of this and more. The hotel is a converted paper warehouse over a century old. It retains many of the structural features of the building especially the exposed wood beams. Our room with a king bed was very large with a wet bar, refrigerator, sofa. The front desk staff was friendly and made several good recommendations as to sites, restaurants and shopping. Breakfast was adequate, coffee very good. There is a wine and cheese reception each evening. Grab your wine and head to the roof and relax on one of the chaise chairs. All in all a good experience. I would go back without hesitation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Thank you very much for this wonderful review of the Ansonborough Inn! I am so happy to hear that we delivered on all of your expectations. It is great to know that from the architecture of the hotel, to the room itself, to the coffee throughout the day, our hotel was exactly what you were looking for. I am delighted to know that the staff only added to your enjoyment of Charleston and were able to assist you with whatever you needed. It is also great to know that you were able to enjoy the rooftop terrace during your time with us--it is a favorite spot for our guests to relax! Thanks again for this great review and thank you for choosing the Ansonborough Inn! I hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We are staying at the Ansonborough Inn right NOW! We are miserable. Upon arriving we asked to stay anywhere but the first floor (based on other reviews we read) and we're told they were booked but they had a quiet 1st floor room for us. NOT! We, at best, got two hours of sleep last night. You can hear every voice and everything that goes on outside of our room. You can also here every passing car that goes by the window where the bed is. Our son was up and down all night due to the noises. We were told this morning they would move our room (they have availability now) to another floor but this room is next to the elevators AND is smaller. Also will not discount our rate to move so we are staying where we are and are sick about staying here another night. There is no where else to stay in Charleston on the 4th at the last minute so we are stuck. We paid $700 to stay here two nights with no sleep and a very cranky baby. We are locals and often stay in Charleston for "stay cations". We love this city but we will never come back here. The bldg is old world charm that cannot be surpassed. The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are upgraded and the architecture exceeds my expectations but do not expect to sleep and do not bring your kids. We could've stayed anywhere in Charleston for what we paid here. We have had no success with another room NOR any compensation for our troubles. Typically, I'm very positive as this is my first, ever, negative review. Save your hard earned money.

Room Tip: Do not stay on the first floor - Noisy with a capital N.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Up-townCouple

As with all TripAdvisor Reviews, I appreciate the time you took to write about your experience at the Ansonborough Inn. I am, however, disappointed that you chose to stay in a room in which you were "miserable," when you were offered other junior suites that might have been more to your liking. Making a floor request at check in on a holiday weekend is certainly not always the best time for us to fulfill such special requests--I had no junior suites available off the first floor at that time. Additionally, the room you stayed in, tucked as it is in the back of the lobby is suitable for most of our guests who are aware they are staying in the historic district of Charleston. Some exterior traffic noise is inevitable.
All the rooms at the Ansonborough Inn are different, even within in the same category, so some junior suites are, indeed, smaller than others. You chose to remain in one of the largest junior suites that happened to be on the first floor, so although we attempted to re-accommodate you, you declined because you preferred the room to which you were initially assigned. As you are probably aware, there are six other rooms located in the vicinity of your room and your complaint was the only one we received over the weekend. Since sound tolerance while sleeping is a very personal matter you seem to have been the only guests who were disturbed.
I am terribly sorry that you had such a negative experience at the Ansonborough Inn and I do wish that you had decided to relocate rather than stay in a room you did not care for. I am glad, however, that you found that our "charm cannot be surpassed" and that the architecture exceeded your expectations. As is evidenced by the vast majority of laudatory reviews, all of our guests not only expect to sleep, but also sleep quite well during their time with us.
Thank you again for the time you spent writing this review.

Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this beautiful Inn. From the attentive, kind staff to the location, and our amazing suite, the Anson Suite, everything was perfect. Carriages and bike taxis come right by the front door or walking downtown is quick and easy. We stayed on a Sunday night so we had the rooftop terrace to ourselves for awhile. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TeamKozikowski

Thank you for this "sweet" review of your "suite" and of the Ansonborough Inn! I am so delighted that you had such a wonderful visit to Charleston and our property. It is great to know that everything during your visit surpassed your expectations and was even better than you imagined. It is also great to know that you were able to enjoy your own private rooftop terrace, at least for a little while, while you were here. Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for taking the time to post this delightful review on TripAdvisor! I hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Beautiful Charleston has a ton of hotel options, from charming B&Bs to brand-name hotels designed to fit into the city's historic and visually appealing aesthetic. In doing my search, I found that most of them were also out of my price range for a weekend trip in June. Then I found the Ansonborough Inn; its rates were around $250/night compared to others in the 400s. And what's even better is that this is no budget hotel.

Driving there was easy, and the large parking lot directly across the street is very convenient. Once inside, I found its rustic/sorta nautical decor to be quite nice. I loved our room; ceilings are very high, and the exposed brick made it out of the ordinary. Free wi-fi is great, too. They also offer a complimentary wine-and-cheese hour. I've encountered this at other hotels, and normally I'm not likely to plan my schedule around it. This one, however, is not to be missed. There was a great cheese selection, including that Southern staple, pimento cheese, which I love. I made sure to go both days!

Once you park the car, it's probably best to walk to most restaurants and attractions, unless you don't like to walk under any circumstances. I'd say that you should allow 10-15 minutes to walk to the more popular restaurants from there. And while it doesn't feel intimidating at all, that side of E. Bay St. begins to encroach on the industrial/wharf district, which means you aren't right in the center of downtown. To me, though, the cost savings (and Ansonborough Inn's amenities) by not staying in the heart of it all was well worth it.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank George_PConnecticut

Thank you very much for posting such a glowing review of the Ansonborough Inn! I am so happy to see that you found so much to like about us--from the rate to the location to the amenities that we offer. There is nothing better than reading reviews like yours and knowing that we have succeeded in our goal of providing four-diamond amenties and services in a warm and inviting atmosphere at a competive rate! Thank you for letting us know that you had such a great time. Thank you as well, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I hope to see you again soon!