“Exceptional value, great atmosphere”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed November 2, 2013

First visit to Charleston and very much enjoyed the Ansonborough for its amazing value. We had a massive room with two four poster queen beds, high ceilings, wet bar/fridge/microwave, and very large bathroom. Really well appointed and decorated. A former warehouse, the hotel itself is so interesting and the rooftop terrace is such a wonderful way to enjoy their wine and cheese before going out for dinner and to finish off the night with a drink. Further evidence of the great value was breakfast each morning and full day refreshments and treats. Service was very polite and the hotel was just a short walk from the sights and for dinners at night. Parking is just across the street and convenient. Our only complaint is that there were very rude guests in the room above on our last night. Yelling, screaming, banging. It went on until the early hours of the morning and made sleep impossible. To be honest, I have never experienced such noise in a hotel. We called to complain but it continued. We mentioned it at checkout and they just noted that many others had complained as well but didn't address it. Given how bad it was, I thought they would have removed the night from the bill. They didn't and after such a pleasant stay, I was not up to argue but it really was inexecusable. The only blight on a delightful stay.

Room Tip: Noise is a real problem. Get a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn as lodging for your inaugural visit to Charleston! I am so happy to hear that you found our hotel to be an "amazing value." It sounds like there was much about the hotel that "wowed" you and I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed all of our complimentary offerings, as well as the rooftop terrace. I am so terribly sorry that your upstairs neighbors detracted from your final night with us. I do not know the specifics of your calls to the front desk, but I can only assume that after our initial contact with the loud guests the night auditor belivered the noise had subsided. If she did not hear from you again that evening she would have believed the problem was solved. We do not tolerate disruptive guests and, if necessary, we will ask them to leave the property.
I would like to thank you again for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and for writing this review on TripAdvisor. I am glad that overall you had an incredible time in Charleston and at the Ansonborough Inn. I hope that we see you again on your second trip to town!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is one of the best little hotels we have ever stayed in. The rooms are spacious and very inviting, beds were exceptionally comfortable, bathrooms are spacious with plenty of nice fluffy towels available. Our room was a suite, even had a full sized leather couch that I stretched out on and watched one of the world series game on. Is that like home or what? Breakfast was ok,,wish I could gush about that part of our hotel experience too, but the best way to describe it was it was just ok. The one thing that sticks in my mind was one morning there was only skim milk, I mean there no excuse for this, there's a Harris Teeter grocery store right across the street. I don't want to end this review on a bad note, this is a great hotel and I plan on staying there the next time we're in Charleston. Our parents are going to Charleston in a few months, I will be recommending that they stay at the Ansonborough Inn as well. Next time I'm there, I'll bring my own milk and all will be perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor! I am so happy to hear that you loved the hotel so much you are already planning on recommending us to your friends and family. There is nothing better than knowing that our guests have found us to be welcoming and inviting. It is also great to hear that your room was perfect for your needs! Thanks again for taking the time to write this review--I am looking forward to "welcoming you home" again soon!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed in a suite at the Ansonborough Inn, and enjoyed our stay. The location is perfect, if you intend to walk the city of Charleston (we had no car). You have easy foot-access to the historic district, the Battery, etc. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was comfortable. We usually stay at B&B's, and appreciated the flexibility of breakfast at the Inn (7-10 a.m.), but missed the exceptional food that is so much a part of Charleston. Breakfast was a good, sufficient buffet - but nothing like the "write home" about food the city is deservedly famous for.... Just be sure to plan to have lunch and dinner at a good restaurant. Cru Cafe and Low Country Bistro, just a few blocks away, are great options.

Room Tip: It looked like the less expensive rooms had the same appeal as the more expensive (high ceilings, an...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor Community! It is great to know that you found the city accessible, despite the fact that you did not have a vehicle. It is also great to know that found the staff friendly and helpful and that your room was comfortable. It sounds like you discovered some of our wonderful restaurants while you were in town--we could have also recommended some great breakfast spots, if you were looking for a heartier breakfast than what out buffet offered. Thanks again for this great review--I hope that we see you again soon!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

There are lots of positives about the Ansonborough Inn. It is a great renovation of an historic warehouse that has been done classily, oozing character and in a great location for everything Charleston has to offer. The staff were pleasant, and even though the hotel is expensive at an average of $300 a night (£200) for a Junior suite, potentially it represented good value for money. The Junior Suite (338) was excellent in size and decor with period comfortable furnishings, a very good bathroom and a huge bed. It was spotlessly clean and serviced to a high level. I didn't particularly like the fact that in reality it was one large open room with a 10 feet dividing wall that didn't reach up to the 17 feet ceiling (not surprising considering the ceiling's height) so it didn't feel like a separate bedroom and living room as when I woke up to work early morning and put the light and coffee machine on, the bedroom was also illuminated and disturbed.
The included alcoholic drinks each night between 5pm and 6pm were pleasant with carafes of wine and a very nice selection of cheeses, including some unusual but very tasty combinations. Weather permitting, the drinks can be taken up to the attractive rooftop terrace on the third floor.
Breakfast was not as good but you could easily get by with a nice selection of fruit - fresh strawberries, pineapple and melon whist we were there. There was a selection of yogurts and rather sugary cakes, bagels, toast, cereals etc. The hot selection most mornings consisted of cheese omelettes that looked, because of their consistency, as though they were frozen and micro-waved. The coffee was vanilla flavoured and there was also a selection of juices. Frustratingly, the position of the food was problematic and led to queues and difficulty in serving yourself as it was in a tight narrow corner. It would be far more efficient to lay the breakfast out along the television wall to enable everyone to visit the different food options without bunching up.
We were able to walk everywhere from the hotel and many good restaurants are nearby. The parking at $15 a night isn't cheap but is a reasonable option for Charleston to park and leave the car.
Well, why wasn't it excellent. For us, having a suite as I requested on the 3rd floor, sleep quality was compromised by the hotel's central heating/air conditioning system. In fairness, when we brought it to the attention of the hotel they offered us a change of room which we declined as we had already unpacked and then they came up with an acceptable compromise. The problem was that on the 3rd floor, the heating/air conditioning system vibrated and rumbled around the landing area throughout the night, making sleep and even reading a book in the morning a challenge. The hotel staff said they have never had such a complaint before so it must have been a problem only for us! The compromise was that between 11pm and 7am the internal system would be switched off and this did lead to silence during the hours of sleep. The last night they forgot and I had to go down to Reception at 11.30pm and remind them as sleep was again impossible. This may seem trivial but it really compromised our enjoyment of the Ansonborough Inn, caused not a little marital strife and led to the 4 stars awarded instead of 5 and the decision that if we returned to Charleston, we would probably look elsewhere. To put it into perspective, the problem we encountered was a building issue, not a staff issue, and the staff were unfailingly pleasant in their resolve to rectify our frustration. The weather was somewhat mild when we were there so switching the system off didn't seem to cause a problem for temperature control. this may well not be an option during July/August when temperatures are significantly higher.
Our final summary is that the Ansonborough is a very good hotel, not cheap but in a great location with lots of character but there are significant small issues that for us meant it wasn't excellent but very good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor would probably avoid the noise issue we had with the hotel's heating/air...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. It sounds like all-in-all you enjoyed the hotel and the time that you spent with us. It is great to know that you found our location covenient and our staff eager to assist you with your needs and requests. I am sorry to hear that the ambient sound on third floor was disturbing to you, but it is great to know that we were able to find a solution.
The rates at the Ansonborough Inn are always competitive with similar hotels in historic Chalreston, which vary seasonally. October is one of the most popular months to visit Charleston, but at other times of year the rates could be quite different. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. If you do have the opportunity to visit Charleston again, I would love to have the chance to find you a different room that will change your opinion from "very good" to "Excellent!"

Reviewed October 27, 2013

I had a 2 night stay here that I needed to cut short because the suite we were in had what looked to be a king size bed. It actually was 2 twin size beds attached to each other with a seam in the middle! But that wasn't the worst part, it was the fact that the beds were as hard as wood. My girlfriend and I both couldn't sleep and awoke with aches and pains.

If you like a comfortable soft bed I would avoid this inn. In addition, when we checked out early to move to another hotel in Charleston, they charged a 50 dollar early departure fee!!! Even though it was because the room was unsatisfactory! I guess the customer is not always right?

Also, the "continental" breakfast is about the same as a hampton inn quality, so if you expect more from a boutique inn, you will be disappointed.

1  Thank john f
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. I am so sorry to hear that your time with us was not what you expected. You do not mention in this review whether or not we were able to offer you an a different room--when a guest is dissatisfied with their room we try very hard to offer them an alternative. We do not receive complaints about the comfort of our beds, so I sincerely regret that you had this issue. I would have loved for you to have been given the chance to see if a different king bed made a difference. We have just a couple convertible kings in the hotel--when they have been properly set up by the housekeeping staff with mattress pads they are very comfortable. I am truly sorry that this did not seem to be the case in your room and I sincerely regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Location is two blocks from city center, directly across the street from one of the largest super markets I have ever seen--Teeters, a real plus. Room s are very large and spacious. Bed, a queen and comfortable. Room has couch, chairs, refrigerator, microwave, large closet, table, window to the street, which is very quiet. Room is well appointed. Outside walls are good, keeps out sound, but ceiling is not so sound proof. Could hear people walking and talking. Big bathroom, shower lacks sufficient pressure. Good closet space. Breakfast room is configured strangely. Line up to get your continental breakfast, you have to wind around tables that are there to sit at to eat your breakfast. After getting your food, you then have to walk back through those waiting to get at their food. Selection is okay, juices, bread, bagels, fruit, sweets, coffee, tea, milk, enough to start the day, but not stellar. There is a roof top terrace, use of a computer, and exercise room. Cookies are provided in the evening. Our stay for two nights was enjoyable, as we overlooked these minor inconveniences. We would stay there again in the future. Charleston is a fantastic City.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul R

Thank you very much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. I am so happy to hear that your time with us was pleasant and that you enjoyed both Charleston and the Ansonborough Inn! I am so happy to hear that you found the room quiet and comfortable. I hope you have the opportunity to visit Charleston again in the future and that we have the chance to welcome you back to the Ansonborough Inn. Thank you again for taking the time to write this review!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed here previously with just my mother, and this time came back with my husband. We had a wonderful stay at the Ansonborough. At check-in our room was ready slightly ahead of schedule which was nice. I was thankful we could remove our valuables from the rental car. The front desk staff recommended an excellent carriage tour to us, which I recommend for any first-timers in Charleston. Taking a carriage ride is an excellent way to get the lay of the land. This hotel is central to many things, close enough to Market to walk in heels but not so close that it was excessively loud in the evenings. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet but didn't care for the evening happy hour. The newly renovated rooftop terrace is an excellent place to relax with a glass of wine and a book between touring/walking and dinner. My only recommendations are to include a taller bureau, we did have to hang our blazers and dresses on the back of the bathroom door; and move the television closer to the bed. The TV is a bit small, but the problem is the volume. Because the TV is so far from the bed, we found we had to turn the volume up, and our neighbors must have discovered this as well. Our headboard butted up against the wall that occupied the neighbors TV. On Saturday evening, my husband and I caught an entire NFL recap between the hours of 4:30 am and 6 am from the room next door. That was my only complaint, everything else was lovely. The staff were very helpful and courteous. At one point we were going on the fly for lunch and needed a recommendation, after providing our intersection and current location to the front desk over the phone they were immediately able to direct me to a close and very good restaurant.

Room Tip: avoid first floor if possible, I would ask for a third floor room on the south side if possible
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so mcuh for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and taking the time to share your experiences with the TripAdvisor Community. I am delighted to hear that you have stayed with us on more than one occasion and that both times were wonderful. I am glad that you found our location convenient and that you took some time to enjoy the rooftop terrace. Next time you are making a reservation, please be sure to ask us for a room with a standard closet and we will do our very best to fulfill your request. We have a few rooms that have the shorter bureau, but that is certainly not the case in every room. I am happy to hear that the staff was able to help you out with a great restaurant spot and that you found them helpful throughout your stay. Thanks again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor--I hope to see you again soon!