“Footbath”

Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Footbath”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have stayed several times at the Ansonborough and always enjoyed it. We stop at the first SC Welcome Center over the border where they have faxed specials each day from hotels. They are usually very enticing but we look for the Ansonborough. Good points: ample free parking, nice big rooms with high ceilings, a quiet atmosphere, evening wine and cheese (which you can take up on the roof which affords a panoramic view of Charleston). The bathroom could do with a little more counter space and the bath is the smallest I've ever seen - it's only 12 inches high. Oh yes, it's a foot bath!

Room Tip: Get the Welcome Center special.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor and, most importantly, for choosing the Ansonborough Inn. It is great to know that there are so many aspects of the hotel that you have enjoyed over multiple visits to our property. In regards to the depth of our bathtubs, please remember for future visits that our Premium Plus rooms have very deep soaking tubs, perfect for those who prefer a bath over a shower. Thanks again for this review and I hope to see you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Duluth, Ga.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have stayed at Ansonborough Inn almost every time that we have been to Charleston (several) and pretty much have quit looking elsewhere. Nothing is cheap in Charleston but Ansonborough offers VERY large rooms; clean, comfortable and well decorated. All rooms have microwave, fridge and coffee. I would rate them excellent except for one thing...some rooms get traffic noise at night and in the morning. Ask for a room that does not face Hasell St. or East Bay for best results. The price at Ansonborough is a very good value compared to others in the historical district. Breakfast is strictly continental with limited hot food, but quite good. I agree with other reviewers about the convenience and proximity to everything you want to do in Charleston. It is about an 8-10 block walk to White Point Garden but the market, museums, King St., restaurants etc. are mostly within about 5 blocks. The recently remodeled rooftop deck is a wonderful place to enjoy the complimentary snacks (pimento cheese is KILLER!!) and wine in the afternoon. We hope to make many more trips to Charleston and I'm guessing that Ansonborough Inn will be our "home away from home" for most, if not all, of those trips. Highly recommended!!! PS Ask the staff for restaurant recommendations and reservations, they are knowledgeable and helpful.

Room Tip: Priority...away from Hassel or East Bay...secondary, ask for second or third floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Horace_Hamilton
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor! I am so pleased to learn that we have become your "home base" during your visits to Charleston and that we have repeatedly lived up to your expectations. It is great to hear that you you have always found our rooms clean and comfortable and that our location has proven convenient to all the activities that Charleston offers. I am also happy to find out that you have had the opportunity to enjoy our rooftop terrace--it is one of our favorite spots, too! Thank you again for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor! Please feel free to contact me personally when you are ready to plan your next trip and I will be happy to help you select the perfect room. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Ansonborough Inn!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great Place to stay for a special occasion. My wife and I stayed here for our anniversary. The location is great for walking around Charleston site seeing or shopping. Love this hotel’s history and the construction of the building. Built in 1900 and renovated in 2000 the hotel has real brick walls and exposed heavy timber support beams. Sprinkler system added for fire safety. The rooms and unique, clean, updated and are a nice size. The staff was great. Price was a little high, but for a special occasion like an anniversary its works. Breakfast was good, but thought for this class of hotel they could have done a little better. Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting this wonderful review and selection of photographs on TripAdvisor! We are flattered that you chose the Ansonborough Inn to celebrate such a special occasion. It is great to know that you enjoyed so much about the hotel--from our spacious rooms, to our convenient location, as well as our unique ambiance. I am also delighted to hear that the staff were able to meet all your needs and requests. Thank you again for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! I hope to see you again soon!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Found this placed based on some online research. Wow! The property is beautiful and unique. The "loft" my family and I stayed in was enormous and incredibly comfortable. The staff was genuinely helpful. The rooftop deck was the perfect place to unwind after a day of walking and the wine/cheese reception was enjoyed by all. The inn's location is convenient to so many things in downtown Charleston. We will definitely stay at the Ansonborough Inn again the next time we travel to Charleston.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank scfogarty
Thank you so much for choosing the Ansonborough Inn and then taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community! I am so happy to hear that we were such a wonderful part of your family's visit to Charleston. The loft rooms are such a perfect option for families. Since we only have two of them, it's great to know that we were able to accommodate you in one and that the room was cpmforable for all of you. I am also delighted that you found the front desk staff welcoming and that everything about our hotel was exactly what you were looking for. Thank you again for this wonderul review. I hope to see you and your family again soon!
Boston
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We loved our stay at The Ansonborough Inn. The property is beautiful with huge rooms, high ceilings, and a gorgeous roof deck. The location is great- within 2-3 blocks of everything there is to see and do in downtown Charleston. The included breakfast was very nice, with varied hot items each day. We also really enjoyed the wine and cheese offered each afternoon, and again found it varied from day to day which was nice.
There was a lot of noise at night from the adjacent street, Washington Street. Many loud trucks rolled through all night long. The trash collection and gardening in the early morning hours disturbed us as well. We had a rental car one evening, and when we inquired about trying to park in the street, one gentleman who worked at the front desk tried to make us concerned as to the safety in the area. I think he was trying to convince us to pay $15 to park in the hotel lot, however, I did not think he should make hotel guests worry about safety. It is a safe area, and we did park on the street without any problems, but I did not like that he worried us unnecessarily. Regarding housekeeping, the maids left us with no toilet paper one night, which was a real problem, and one I have never before encountered ever in a hotel. The maids also did silly things to make sure we knew that three different ones took care of our room, The manager needs to tweak some things here.
That aside, I would still stay here again. It was lovely.

Room Tip: Do not face Washington Street or the bank - very loud at night!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor! I am happy to hear that overall you had a very enjoyable visit to Charleston and the Ansonborough Inn. Thank you for saying how much you enjoyed our complimentary amenities, including wine and cheese & breakfast. Our convenient location in the heart of the historic district does mean that occassionally the day-to-day sounds of Charleston can be heard in the rooms and I apologize that caused you any disturbance. As for the parking situation, I am sure that the front desk agent merely wanted to remind you that unlike street parking, our parking lot is camera-monitored and has only one exit/entrance. It is always the guest's decision whether they chose to use our parking lot or not. I am certain we were only trying to help you make an informed decision. Lastly, I can only apologize for the tissue oversight and sincerly hope that your tissue was restocked immediatelly upon notifying the front desk. The housekeepers place signed cards in the room to ensure that the guests know that different personnel clean their room from day-to-day. Many of our regular guests even request particular housekeepers when they stay with us. It is always great to hear any member of our staff welcome our guests like friends and be able to say, "Welcome Back!" when they see a familiar face. I hope that I have the opportunity to say the same to you in the future. Thank you, again. for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

I had to fly in to Charleston to attend a family memorial service. I loved the convenient parking lot located within steps of the entrance!! I received a warm greeting from Daniel and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to find a bucket of champagne chilling in my room after a long day of travel. Daniel helped me with my bags and gave several recommendations of restaurants within walking distance!! The room was ample with a big comfortable bed, high ceilings and spotless bathroom! There was mini refrigerator, safe and coffee maker that I never even touched since a light breakfast and coffee are served in their breakfast room. I also felt very safe as there is a police station a block from the Inn. I highly recommend this Inn for anyone traveling to Charleston seeking true Southern charm and hospitality in a convenient location!!

• Stayed August 2013
I cannot tell you how much we appreciate you choosing the Ansonborough Inn and then taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community. I am sorry to hear that your visit to Charleston was brought about due to a loss, but I hope that we were a pleasant respite from an emotional day. It is great to know that Daniel made you feel at home and that the room, service, and amenities were all exactly what you were looking for. I hope that you have another occassion to visit Charleston on a happier note and that we are all given the opportunity to say. "Welcome Back!" Thank you again for this wonderful TripAdvisor Review!
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Although this hotel is very unusual and somewhat historical I felt this hotel did not deserve a "four-star rating". First the positives -the rooms were quite spacious with very very high ceilings . The amenities in the rooms were more than adaquite .in fact they were very nice

The negatives . Even though this is in the city proper there is no valet parking. When you check in there is no one to take your bags . The desk personel although friendly seemed very unprofessional . During the day in the lobby area there were cleaning carts together with the guests seating. During the buffet breakfeast the milk creamers were spoiled. When we told a staff member she just shrugged. There was a bar area but there was no one to serve you.

Also I feel this property was a bit far from the center of the action

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael S
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ansonborough Inn on TripAdvisor. It sounds like all-in-all you enjoyed your time with us and I am certainly glad to hear that. I appreciate your comments about valet parking, but since the parking lot is directly across the street we have found that our guests prefer to self-park and come and go with ease. In regards to your baggage assistance and bartending needs, the front desk staff is available at all times to assist with both of these requests and any others that you may have had. I am happy to know that you found the front desk staff friendly, but am surprised that they were unprofessional in their friendliness. I wish there was a bit more information about the problem(s) you encountered with the front desk. Lastly, as you may have noticed we have seven rooms directly off the lobby, so when they are being cleaned, there is a housekeeping cart visible from the lobby seating area. I am sorry that this posed a problem for you. Thank you again for this review--we appreciate knowing how guests feel about their time with us.