“Loved the Inn!”
Review of Ansonborough Inn

Ansonborough Inn
Ranked #12 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the Ansonborough Inn for 3 nights in November and loved it. It's in a great location, 5 minute walk to the market, 10-15 minutes to the Battery.
We had a 'spacious studio room' and it was massive! The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom was nice too. There was plenty of room for all of our things and it was nice to have a sofa too.

Breakfast was delicious, there was choices of cereal, pastries, fresh fruit, muffins and a hot dish such as mini omelettes. We really appreciated wine and cheese hour as well, it was lovely to come back to the Inn at the end of a busy day and relax. I didn't have any of the cheese but was told by other members of the group that it was really nice. There were crisps and dip as well.

The staff were so, so friendly and helpful. They were happy to chat to us, help with dinner reservations, directions to places, booking taxi's etc. All of them were lovely and approachable.
There is a mini pub in the hotel as well which was nice.
We were unable to get to Charleston on the first night of our reservation due to Hurricane Sandy and Carrie the manager was so helpful, we were emailing back and forth to change our reservation and they kindly didn't charge us for the missed night (they would have been entitled to, I gave less than 24 hours notice that we couldn't make it as our flight was cancelled).

Overally we loved the Inn, we would definitely return and recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a terrific review on TripAdvisor. There is nothing better than knowing that we have exceeded our guests' expectations in every way possible. I am so glad to hear that from the rooms, to the breakfast, to the staff everything about the Ansonborough Inn was a postive experience for you. (I am also glad to know that we were able to alleviate your concerns during what must have been a frustrating and unsettling experience with Hurricane Sandy.) Once more, thank you for the great review and I hope to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

What a charming inn. I loved the rustic, yet genteel feeling of this reconverted inn. The staff couldn't have been kinder and more helpful, and the rooms were spacious and up-to-date. Continental breakfast in the morning was plentiful, fresh and varied. Early evening there was a wine bar with fruit, cheese and crackers. And coffee was offered all day long.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite, which was quiet and extremely roomy for the three of us. A queen-size bed an...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much fo taking the time to write such a nice review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted to hear that you liked the Ansonborough Inn so much and that you found our hospitality and accommodations to be what you were looking for. There is nothing better than knowing we have been a pleasant aspect of a visit to Charleston. Thanks again for the lovely review and we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We asked for an upper room but they did not have one. The first floor corner room was quiet,very convenient and probably a better option. The best views are from the rooftop and not the rooms. The front desk was very friendly and helpful with suggestions for dining, sightseeing and directions.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TAMU80
Carrie H, Manager at Ansonborough Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We always try to fulfill our guests' requests, but that is not always possible. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found your room quiet and convenient. It also great to know that our staff were helpful and friendly throughout your time with us. Thanks again for the great review--we hope to see you in future!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Very nice place, clean, cozy, comfortable. Staff is all very friendly and helpful. My friend and I stayed in the loft room which had a queen bed, kitchenette, living area and full bathroom downstairs. The loft had a queen bed and powder room. My only comment is that they should give you a shelf or something in the upstairs powder room for toiletries. I had also requested a trash can to be brought in, but never got one.
Other than that, it is a very nice place to stay. Convenient to everything. Lovely breakfast included, as well as wine and cheese in the afternoon.

2  Thank LMVCatonsville

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I am so pleased to know that you enjoyed your time at the Ansonborough Inn and that our found our staff friendly and helpful. It is also great to know that you enjoyed our breakfast, as well as our evening wine and cheese service. Although I do not know why the room was missing a trash can or your request for one was not fulfilled, we have now placed an extra bin in that room. Thanks again for the terrific review on TripAdvisor--I hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

"We are Family I've got all my sisters and me!", My sister Ellen picked the Ansonborough for our annual sisters trip and they treated us like their family! We all loved it. It was so picturesque and friendly, and the staff were wonderful, The front desk staff were so helpful with planning tours and telling us about restaurants. This is definitely NOT a cookie cutter place. I loved the high ceilings,the beautiful old wood beams and all the framed paintings. I counted twelve just in our room. The room was spacious and easily accomodated all five of us, we never felt crowded. The continental breakfast was perfect, plenty of food, and the wine and cheese hour was not to be missed! Seems everyone staying there would come back for that and to share news of their day. Loved the rooftop deck and took our wine up there every night to take in historic Charleston and the Harbor. the 24 hour grocery across the street was a bonus, except when the delivery trucks arrived at 3AM. But if you are up, Susie, the night manager will entertain you! I'm telling all my travel buddies and hope to return again. I would definitely stay here again, Cathy C. Phoenix, Az.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the Hassell street side if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Catherine C

Thank you so much for the wonderful review! It was an absolute treat to have you and your sisters stay with us--you were such a fun group and it was such a pleasure helping you explore and learn about Charleston. We really do try to make this a warm and comfortable "home away from home" for our guests and I am so glad you felt that we succeeded in that goal! I hope that ya'all decide to come back to Charleston some time, as we would all love to see you again. Thanks again for the great review!

Reviewed October 27, 2012

First trip to Charleston for sister time. Did a lot of research into where to stay and settled on Ansonborough. The room was comfortable , good sized bath,cozy beds, gorgeous old fashioned wood decor throughout the inn. The staff was awesome, assisting us in booking tours,reservations,transportation etc. The wine and cheese and continental breakfast offerings were plentiful. We loved being able to take advantage of bringing our drinks/food to the roof top terrace where we were able to enjoy views of the harbor. Location was within walking distance of shopping, tour meeting places and many restaurants. Would definitely stay here again and reccommend to all

Room Tip: rooms across the street from the 24 hour large market are noisier due to deliveries at night
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. It was an absolute pleasure having you and your sisters stay with us several weeks ago--you were such a fun group. I am glad that you were pleased with the Ansonborough Inn and that all of us were able to help you have a wonderful visit to Charleston. Thanks again for the great review--I hope to see all of you in the future!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

First trip to Charleston, along with my wife and my sister and her husband. All of us raved about the Ansonborough Inn and when (not "if") we return, we will all choose this hotel. It was so beautiful with the wood beams and woodwork with the oil paintings everywhere.
The rooms were immense and the beds and pillows extremely comfortable., The staff could not have been more friendly (especially Susie, the night front desk lady) or helpful with recommendations to assist us newbies.
Wine and cheese reception, and a very nice warm continental breakfast were included. The coctails up on the rooftop terrace overlooking the harbor and historic downtown was the icing on the cake. If all inns and hotels were half as nice as this one, travel would be a wonderful experience.

1  Thank StLcardfan

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a great review on TripAdvisor. It is great to know that you and your family were pleased with all the aspects of your trip. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy some time on the rooftop terrace and that our staff was able to help you explore and enjoy Charleston. Thank you again for the review--we can't wait to see you again!