“Fun Public Golf”

Shadowmoss Plantation Golf Club
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Begin your Charleston golf vacation here and experience the reasons why Golf Digest praises Shadowmoss as "the best golf value in Charleston". Located just 12 miles from downtown and 5 miles from I-526, Shadowmoss is convenient to Kiawah Island and easily accessible from anywhere in the Charleston area. We are located just off of Historic Highway 61 on the way to some of the most famous plantations in the Charleston area. Whether you are just looking for an enjoyable round of golf or some professional golf instruction, Shadowmoss has everything you need including rental clubs, a driving range, a putting green, chipping green, and a fully stocked pro shop with the finest in quality apparel and equipment. We also feature a full-service grill room and lounge. Our grill room is open from 7am to 5 pm and serves breakfast from 7am to 11am. The lounge opens daily at 10 am and on course beverage service begins at 9am.
Reviewed March 1, 2013

A fun spot to go with a group. Good rates. Not super busy in the off season, but weather is still good. In a nice neighborhood, so you can look at houses while playing.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Golfed at Shadowmoss Plantation as a foursome. The course, as usual, was in great shape, from the greens to the fairways and bunkers, very well manicured. The gentleman who took our money at the desk and the starter were extremely pleasant and started the day off great. The course ranger and his "supervisor" however, ruined the day for my group and made it clear that we will never be coming back to Shadowmoss.

Let me be clear, my foursome was comprised of 4 guys all in our mid 20's who play golf once a week. With that being said, we are not PGA pro's, but we respect the rules of the game and we play at a good pace. At the turn today, a 3 some of young kids, all wearing jeans and t-shirts cut us off at hole 10 and proceeded to play in front of us, holding us up for about 6 holes. Because we were waiting on them, we in turn, held up the foursome behind us. As we approached hole 15, the course ranger told us that we had to pick up the pace or we would be forced to let the group behind us play through, he explained that it was his supervisor playing behind us. The supervisor had called him because of the pace of the course. We tried to explain to the ranger that our pace was determined by the 3 kids who had apparently snuck their way onto the course under his ever watchful eye. He disregarded our statement and again reiterated that we had a hole in front of us and needed to move it.

We rushed our way through the next hole as he followed us all the way down to the green, watching our every move, as his supervisor played behind us. As we got to the next hole, we came up on another 3 some (as the kids had since left the course) which was waiting on a foursome. The course was backed up on every single hole and we ended up pushing the groups in front of us in a manner that we would normally never exhibit.

1) The ranger had unpaid golfers sneaking on to the course holding up his pace and he had no clue.
2) He did not believe us, a group who had paid, respected the game and were returning customers.
3) He told us, fast paced, paying customers to move out of the way for his boss who instead of working was playing.
4) He pushed us into other golfers who were trying to enjoy themselves.
5) If he had forced us to let them play through, would he have done the same to the next 3 groups who were all backed up on the remaining holes?

Just terrific course management skills, that ruined a great day. Good riddance Shadowmoss Plantation.

9  Thank ChristopherUnion44
Reviewed August 13, 2012

My son and I played early one morning during our vacation. The course was in very good shape and the clubhouse service was great. The pace of play was the best we experienced during our trip (3 hours). We will return on our next trip south. The 10th hole is a bit dangerous, due to its placement directly right of the driving range, but the rest of the course was fun to play.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was traveling out of town and decided to play a little golf. Called Shadowmoss and got a tee time for late in the afternoon to play nine holes. I grabbed a small bucket of range balls and hit a few practice shots. The range was probably the worst of everything. not a lot of clean places to hit from on the range tees. That part was not very maintained, however, the course was very well maintained. On Monday, I play the front nine, and found the course to have it's share of challenges. Being a community course, there were plenty of Out of Bounds areas (Fenced in Backyards, etc) But the fairways were plenty wide to compensate for that. There was also quite a bit of water. Overall...good course, great price (only $21 for 9) I thought it would be much more than this.

I liked the front nine so well...I decided to go back on Tuesday and play again. This time I came straight from work and needed to change clothes. The guy at the pro shop was very helpful and let me use the locker rooms even though I was not a member. This may be the norm (Not sure as I don't get out much), but I really appreciated not having to change in a tiny bathroom. As far as the golfing...the back nine was just as good as the front nine. The only "problem" I saw was that the driving range was located adjacent to number 10 tee box and errant shots from the range wound up in the 10th fairway. Other than that...great golf course.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

We travelled from the UK and hired clubs, the hired clubs were good quality, and in great condition. The course was amazing although the thunder storm gave us a little shock!. The staff are all very friendly and willing to help, we will certainly visit again.

3  Thank Stoffus