“Good but not great”

Ranked #5 of 18 Bakeries in Charleston
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed November 12, 2012

First, let me say we jumped right on the cupcake bandwagon early on and love to try different cupcake shops everywhere we go. That said, these weren't the best but certainly not the worst. I would say just average of the cupcake bakeshops we have tried. There were 6 of us and between us, we got 5 flavors. My dad raved over the lemon, my son hated the orange cranberry (two of his fav flavs) my mom got caramel and said it was just OK, my husband and daughter both were living on the edge and got the vanilla and thought it was just average but lots better than say a grocery chain cupcake but not as good as others they had tried and I got the pumpkin with ginger frosting and I would say it was slightly above average, the cake part got 3 stars and the frosting 4. We all thought the frosting was the best part.

The place is quaint but small...take out only, the little garden area was full of people talking and not eating so we sat in our van on the street to eat ours. Also, I looked all over and didn't see the prices and I HATE having to ask but you never know these days. We spent $20 on 6 regular size cupcakes if that helps. I also had to ask what each of the cupcake flavors were as most were not labled. There were also a few jars of cookies on the counters, without lables or prices...they looked good but I was already a little aggravated about having to ask prices and what each was so I just made a cupcake choice and left. I'm not from Charleston but visit often and I doubt I will go back but we will see.

There are newer reviews for Sugar Bakeshop

Reviewed October 24, 2012

The cupcakes were fine, but not Amazing. The place is super small with limited selection. There are only two seats outside and nowhere to sit inside. This is take out only. And they're pricey.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We opened the door to an amazing aroma of sugar and citrus, and a loaded counter and cases with more varieties of cupcakes than you would want to choose from. But alas, we had to choose - between almond, honey almond, chocolate coconut, PB&J (with jelly filling), lemon, lime, blueberry, pistachio, just too many to remember them all. They also have ice cream and selection of cookies and other sweets. I had a pistachio cupcake - it was really good, not too sweet pistachio icing, with white moist tasty cake and nuts on top. The cute little shop has an outdoor courtyard on the side.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I go here for there mini cupcakes. Not all bakeries have minis available (i.e. Cupcake) and this makes it for me as I'd like to try a few and rarely eat a whole cupcake. I appreciate the icing as it is enough icing but not a massive dollop that is tough to eat. The people and friendly and there are always great interesting flavors. This place is also off the beaten path so you have to know about it to go there.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Ordered a vanilla cake with blueberries on top for my daughter's birthday. The cake was dry and seemed as though it was not made fresh to order. Highly disappointed this time around. This was our second time ordering from Sugar and we were so impressed with the first cake (ordered a strawberry cake back in June and it was to die for).