“Good cupcakes, not cheap.”
Review of Sugar Bakeshop

Sugar Bakeshop
Ranked #5 of 18 Bakeries in Charleston
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Very quaint bakery in an older section of town ( a few blocks from The Medical University and The College of Charleston. Our visit was based on the reviews on tripadvisor, and a fondness for cupcakes. The cupcakes were $19.95 for six (6), and they were good, just not $19.95 good. The staff present were very friendly and even added a tart (which was better than any of the cupcakes) for free. For my next visit to Charleston, I'll probably give someone else's cupcakes a try.

2  Thank Bill30512

Reviewed October 6, 2011

We selected this bakery to get an 80th birthday cake from for dad. The apple spice cake was moist and delicious. The surprise was the ginger molassas cookies. They were moist and really tasted like fresh ginger. The staff is friendly and very helpful. We enjoyed the sweet trearts so much we made a special stop by the bakeshop as we headed out of Charleston towards the airport. Had to get our ginger molassas cookie fix.

2  Thank Syracuse_9
Reviewed September 14, 2011

After reading the reviews I had to try Sugar on a recent trip to Charleston. The cupcakes we had, chocolate with almond & coconut, were amazing! Will definitely return when we are in town!

1  Thank Amber D
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our family was on vacation in Charleston and had read reviews for places to eat. When I read the other reviews, I knew we had to try this place. We went twice while we were in Charleston. Their cupcakes were divine. All of us had different flavors. They are all unique and wonderful. We also bought some cookies. Many reviews had been written about the spice cookies. The first day we came in, they were out. Perfect excuse for another trip back in! Bought the spice cookies and they were divine! The kids loved the chocolate chip and M&M cookies but my favorite was the sugar cookie with a hint of lime. Perfect little addition for the HOT, humid weather in Charleston that week. They also had fresh sun tea with a touch of mint. Couldn't have been better~Please do not miss this quaint little spot!

1  Thank mhorn28
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I have been a devoted patron of this bake shop since they opened. In fact, my husband and I go there at least twice a week for either cupcakes or cookies. First, their creations remind me of my grandmother's (or anyone's grandmother's) home-made perfection. You can taste the real butter, real sugar, real chocolate, free range eggs. My husband is nuts for the ginger molasses cookie which has a dark decadent spiciness. I am a sucker for their chocolate chip cookie: it just takes the way CCC should taste. However, the stars of the show are the cupcakes. We are fanatical about their Lady Baltimore Cake/Cupcakes. They are absolute heaven. But don't wait to eat them because all those fresh ingredients don't last more than a day or so (you wouldn't want them to use preservatives, would you?). The lemon and lime curd cupcakes are such a special treat, sweet and tart. I have to say I am an especially big fan of the frostings. Unlike some places which make this crazy curly-cue lard/sugar beehive on their cakes (which I find overwhelming), Sugar's frosting is applied in just the right amount and you can savor the ingredients of both the cake and the frosting. I really could go on and on about the food. And yet, what makes the place so wonderful is the staff. Owners Bill and David are lovely people and the rest of the gang are cool and interesting and pleasant. Walking into Sugar is liking walking into your best friend's mother's kitchen: you feel welcome and you know you are going to get a treat.