“Not As Good As I'd Heard”
Review of J Paul'z - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: James Island
Cross street: Folly Rd
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went to J Paulz during this past restaurant week with some coworkers. I haven't been to this establishment in several years, since it first opened, so I was surprised at how much quieter and less busy it was than in my memory. However, I had recently heard some pretty good things about the food from other locals, so I thought it would be worth giving another shot.

Brendan, our server, was pleasant, attentive, and helpful. Kudos to him. After perusing both menus, I chose to go with the restaurant week options since they sounded pretty tasty. I started with a cup of the roasted red pepper soup. It was alright, but a bit more on the sour flavor profile than I care for. Honestly, I have had some amazing roasted red pepper soups homemade in other Charleston restaurants, and this one did not live up to those. For my entree, I chose the shrimp risotto with spinach and basil. I was tempted at first to go with the sushi assortment, but after learning that the "assortment" almost exclusively contained tuna, I chose the risotto instead. The portion was on the small side which didn't surprise me since it's for restaurant week. However, the risotto was disappointing. The shrimp was seasoned perfectly but the risotto beneath it was bland and flavorless. Finally, for dessert, I had the creme brulee and no disappointments there. It's hard to do creme brulee wrong, in my opinion, so kudos on the delicious dessert.

Overall, the meal was just okay. I don't know if it was just sub-par because it's restaurant week and they don't want to put too much effort or money into a discounted meal or what, but I won't be in a hurry to go back. It used to be that restaurant week was a chance to impress people who otherwise might not come to your establishment. These days, however, it seems to have turned into a quick money-making scheme for restaurants to lure as many customers in as possible and churn out mediocre dishes on the cheap.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

J Paul'z is a regular stop for us after the movies for several years now. One side of the menu is Sushi and the other has lots of item as tapas and smaller dishes. Even if you order several items, they come out one by one. We have never been disappointed and it's always delicious. They also take food allergies seriously and have never had a problem. We'll continue to go there as we enjoy it so much

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went to this establishment with a party of 10 at 7PM. We ordered a few appetizers for the table. We ordered our meals. 2 hours later there was no food. We were told on 3 occasions that our food was on the way. Unable to speak to the manager, while at the table, we left. On the way out, we finally spoke to the manager. When asked why he never came to the table, his answer was "I just got here", even though we had seen him earlier in the restaurant. The appetizers were comped. I will never go back to this restaurant. I can not recommend this establishment to anyone.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Service was terrible the last time we went...hands down terrible...and we also over heard another table complaining about the same server..Atmosphere is awesome! Great martinis but the food is plain and bland there..the menu has not changed in over 3 years... We thought we would give it another chance 3 years later and the same menu! Not much for a vegan or vegetarian to eat either. They were out of 4 different dishes..which we were never told tell later...If that was one of my husbands restaurants he would have came out with free appetizers or something. But no, the chef did no such thing..We will not be back!!

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food was excellent but for the price the portions should've been a bit larger. They have specialty mac and cheese bowls. We had the lobster and white cheddar and did find a couple of small pieces of lobster in it. I must admit that the 3 scallops that I got on my $20 plate were almost the best I've had, but it was a bit of a tease. Service was very good.