“Flavor Great! Portions Poor.”
Review of J Paul'z - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: James Island
Cross street: Folly Rd
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Flavor Great! Portions Poor.”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food was excellent but for the price the portions should've been a bit larger. They have specialty mac and cheese bowls. We had the lobster and white cheddar and did find a couple of small pieces of lobster in it. I must admit that the 3 scallops that I got on my $20 plate were almost the best I've had, but it was a bit of a tease. Service was very good.

• Visited December 2012

Hickory, North Carolina
“Fresh, but blah food”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

It seemed very pricey for how average the sushi was. Wine & drinks seemed watery. Maybe average prices for Charleston, but below average on the flavor scale.

Charleston, South Carolina
“Best Food in Town”
Reviewed December 6, 2012

The food is always made fresh, the sushi is excellent, they make their own hummus. Everything from the atmosphere to the service is outstanding. I recommend this place to anybody and everybody that comes to visit our home. I would eat at J Paul'z everyday if I could.

Visited December 2012
Charleston, South Carolina
“bad, bad, bad!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We waited for ONE hour for our three sushi rolls to come, even though there were quite a lots of empty seats. The service was incredibly slow and not attentive. The price is nuts. We paid $56 for three rolls and a small sake. The sushi rolls have tiny piece of tuna, like tuna ashes. I have never been to any restaurant that is this over priced and with bad service. Just totally awful. My husband and I regretted that we didn't just grab sushi at the Piggly Wiggly next door. A very terrible experience and we will certainly not go back to that restaurant!

• Visited October 2012
Charleston, SC
“Do your homework. Waiter never mentioned specials!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We ate here for our anniversary. I started with the Tempura Mushrooms. They were fried in a mashed up ball instead of being separated so that they were stuck together, pale, not crisp, and the mushrooms were only half-cooked. The ranch dressing for dipping was very good, though.

My husband had the Chilled Lobster Spring Rolls. The rice paper wrapper was flacid and sticky but the filling was fresh and crisp.

I ordered the Pecan smoked Beef Brisket which was dry and very dark but had a good smoky flavor. It was covered in a sweet barbeque sauce. It came with garlic mashed potatoes that did not have any garlic flavor and blue cheese cole slaw that was bland.

My husband had the Steak Frites. He asked for the blue cheese butter on the side but it was served with some already on top and a small bowl of the same on the side. Not what he ordered! The fries were tasty, with a garlicky, cheesy browned topping.

We ended the meal with a slice of cheesecake. It was bland.

What really upset me was, upon returning home and writing this review, I pulled up the J Paulz menu on the internet and found they were promoting a held over three for $20 restaurant week special which consisted of a SALAD, THE SMOKED BRISKET and the CHEESECAKE. I was charged DOUBLE this amount a la carte! The waiter never mentioned this special deal.

My husband just called the restaurant and was told, basically, too bad. We will not return.

• Visited September 2012