“so-so”

Cupcake DownSouth
Ranked #5 of 18 Bakeries in Charleston
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Cupcake DownSouth’s three locally-owned bakeries bake innovative concoctions using the finest all-natural ingredients, like real vanilla beans, sweet cream butter, fresh fruit, and rich chocolate. We top them with our signature homemade icing, colorful sprinkles, candies, chocolate-covered almonds, chocolate chips, and more. Enjoy one of our nine daily favorites or try one of our 50 seasonal specials!
Reviewed December 10, 2008

The cupcakes were so-so and the selection was narrow. I wasn't impressed with the staff's helpfulness. They weren't rude, but not overly friendly.

Reviewed August 12, 2008

We were excited to try the well advertised cupcakes of Charleston. We ordered a half dozen in a variety of flavors. They were all dry and tasteless. Way too much icing! We had to remove about 3/4 of icing, and it didn't even enhance the taste of the cupcake. Pricing was crazy high for low quality goods. We recommend a trip to either the gelato store by the Visitor Center or Three Cookies (on East Bay). These two stores offered quality products at affordable prices. It's too bad Charleston critics aren't all over these two gems. --MN

Reviewed August 10, 2008

Most would say this place is not worth a special trip but if you are going by or you are in the area I would advise stopping in to try one of the cupcakes. They have about 10 combinations of flavors (chocolate with mint icing, red velet with vinalla icing, etc.) The frosting is loaded very high on the top. One cupcake costs about $3.00 The cupcakes are delicious and I would go back if I am ever in the area.

Reviewed July 13, 2008

I went into this place after hearing about all the local buzz...and was rather disappointed. I sampled three varieties: the "black and white" (chocolate cake with vanilla icing), the vanilla with chocolate icing, and the chocolate peanut butter. The chocolate cake was dry and nearly tasteless compared to how ridiculously sweet the gigantic mound of icing was. I'm normally quite a fan of lots of icing, but this icing was somewhat grainy and not very creamy at all...the vanilla/chocolate icing combo was better, but again the cake itself was rather dry. The peanut butter flavor was the best I tried. It cost me nearly twenty bucks just to get a half dozen of these things, and they were not worth the money spent. In retrospect I should have gone to the grocery store and bought twice the cupcakes and been more satisfied...or just made them myself. Spend your money elsewhere.

1  Thank lighthealer
Reviewed July 12, 2008

Sounds like CUPCAKE is at times inconsistent in terms of quality. We must have gone on a good day. My wife and I enjoyed 4 different cupcakes, all of them very good. There's alot of frosting, so be ready for some sugar.

FYI, they are right next to a smoothie store.