“Cool coffee shop near Marion Square (and I don't mean Starbucks!)”

Kudu Coffee & Craft Beer
Ranked #3 of 34 Coffee & Tea in Charleston
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed June 21, 2014

I cannot even remember how we discovered Kudu, but I am so glad we did! We went for breakfast today before heading to the Saturday market at Marion Square, which was super convenient as Kudu is pretty much across the street from the square. We took our pooch with us, so we had to sit on the patio, but the patio was huge and pleasant with plenty of tables and several other dogs and owners, so it was perfect. But if I were pooch-less, the inside of Kudu would've been my preference. The atmosphere is great as -- like many Charleston businesses -- Kudu is housed in an old building with plenty of character and charm. I love coffee shops, and I could hang out with a good book in this one all afternoon. And to my great pleasure we discovered that Kudu serves Counter Culture coffee -- some of the best in the Southeast. I highly recommend Kudu.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Wonderful atmosphere, great baristas, and delicious coffee! Great place to study, especially outside on the patio!

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Knowledgeable and friendly staff prefaces this comfortable, yet professional space. Fresh baked goods from myriad sweet and savory croissants and paninis, are easily paired with a respectable, but not overwhelming selection of craft beer, wine, and coffee. The coffee is fresh and the beer taps clean. However, my compatriots was of the opinion that the latte she ordered was a bit heavy handed on the milk. One small minus for the establishment: a well-labeled wifi access point is visible to devices, but they do not actually offer that as a service. Hide your access point, post a bill of "Sorry, no wifi", and then you would only have to deal with the normal level of disgruntled shop-goer who discovers that they cannot grab a lovely beverage, fresh pastry, and settle in to do some work.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Enjoyed sitting outside, enjoying an iced coffee and a massive chocolate croissant after a day of shopping on King Street. Right near Marion square. Relaxed vibe. Shady courtyard perfect for relaxing.

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Found this place on a walkabout around town. Stay at the Francis Marion. Very nice staff and a great courtyard. The cask beer was soooo yummy! The beer is close to $6 a pint but a nice place to stop and chill out for a beer.