“Popular local hotspot”

Santi's Restaurante Mexicano
Ranked #326 of 910 Restaurants in Charleston
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania
“Popular local hotspot”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My wife and I went to Santi's Mt. pleasant location Monday and it was full of locals.The food was very authentic and flavorful,the service was fast and friendly.

• Visited February 2014

Whittlesea, South Africa
“AN CLEAR LOCAL FAVORITE!”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A friend and I asked son to go to lunch with us and he recommended something Mexican close to his apartment. Fine. Most Mexican food I've sampled looked like food but had the flavor of cardboard and potato chips. Forget all that when you head for Santi's Restaurante Mexicano. The all male staff made me think I might be south of some border I'd never crossed. Tacos had a corn taste. Imagine that!!!! Peppers were peppers and after a bite I figured they were for looks and not for eating! The atmosphere was fun and beyond southern fried providing a great Mexican meal with an international flare. I left full and satisfied except for the wish to speak Spanish! That would've added some fun for sure. Locate Santi's and enjoy! Remember the peppers are for viewing, not eating.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank TravelingWriter001
State College, Pennsylvania
“Not authentic Mexican”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We've been told that Santi's has the best Mexican food in Charleston, and my wife and I planned to eat here for several months and finally had the opportunity to eat dinner at the Meeting St. location last weekend. When we arrived around 5:30pm the restaurant was relatively empty and we were promptly greeted and welcomed to sit anywhere we liked. The servers were helpful, and brought our food and drinks quickly. The margaritas were excellent and reasonably priced for how strong they were. As for food, we were hardly impressed. My wife ordered tostadas al pastor, but the al pastor was not at all like the al pastor we have had elsewhere or in Mexico. The other toppings were fresh and she overall enjoyed them, but felt that the price was a bit high for three. I ordered chicken with mole "poblano", but I hesitate to even mention the word "poblano" as the only resemblance the sauce had to true mole poblano was the color. Both the texture and taste were completely off. It tasted like a brown sugar sauce, thinned, and was sided with a small portion of chicken and over-cooked beans. Besides being ridiculously sweet and therefore unpalatable, it completely lacked the typical velvety texture and had 0 spice/chili flavor and therefore was devoid of the depth and complexity of flavor that mole is known for. If the dish had been delicious, it would have been worth the price. For what it was, I wouldn't be willing to pay a 1/4 of the amount charged.

For a foodie city like Charleston, the apparent lack of any high-quality or authentic Mexican food saddens me. If we return here, it will be only for the drinks and good service, as I don't have the heart to spend money on disappointing food, mascarading itself as "Mexican" in name only.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Janalyn B
Charleston, SC
“Delicious Mexican Food!”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I love this casual Mexican restaurant. I especially like the Fro Burrito. It is huge and delicious. The service is fast, and the prices are cheap. The location is out of the way, so you have to seek it out. If you want a quick and easy lunch spot, this is it.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank dsd35
London, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Food served very quickly, which is good if you are in a rush, they offered a large variety of cocktails too, it was very bush which is always a great sign.

Visited September 2013