“My fav Mex in SC”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I miss Santi's! Having recently moved away from Charleston, I have been desperately seeking a Mexican food replacement for my
south-of-the-border cravings. So far? No luck. And its killing me.

My wife and I were (nearly) once a week customers for at least 10 years, and I have the cholesterol numbers to prove it, but no matter. They have pills for that now. And Santi's it too good to miss.

Over the years we watched it grow from a true hole-in-the-wall to a well followed, even crowded favorite of Mex food lovers. And throughout 10 years of satisfying meals, we only enjoyed the food more with each visit.

Everything has a 'home style' qualily about it. From the site made chips (a delicious rarity), to the wide variety of sauces, unique soups that one rarely see on the on other establishment's 'americanized' mex menus, everything is fresh, tasty, fully satisfying. This is the real thing! We always appreciated the number of 'real Mexican' workers who flocked there for dishes like their Mother's made.

Back this past weekend for a quick CHS visit, I passed on more famous venues, opting for my favorite Mex in SC. Its still delicious.
If you haven't, you've got to try it.

One perhaps not so positive comment. My review pertains to the location on Meeting Street, only. There's also a location in Summerville, but with each visit there, I left feeling that their recipes aren't as consitent at downtown. BUT, if it was the only Santi's I could get, I'd still go.

1  Thank portofcaller
There are newer reviews for Santi's Restaurante Mexicano

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

First I must start by saying that, Unfortunately I have to use the meeting street location's site to review the mt pleasant site. That being said, the food at this location was pretty good. Chips and salsa, margaritas, and entrees were all good. But the service... I've never felt so unwelcome at a restaurant. The waiter was surely and un-attentive. It didn't look like we were the only ones to get this treatment. The managers need to reel it in, and fast. A place with service like this won't last long.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hood time for friends n family. I make it a habit to go every Sunday, Santi's Sunday yes sir. William is the man for service and Tony is the best manager of the downtown area.

1  Thank Patrick H
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

There is always a good crowd at this place. It looks like a bar, and perhaps at other times it may well be. At six o'clock in the evening it was a nice quiet Mexican restaurant. I saw a plaque that said "Best Margaritas in Charleston, 2011" I comment on this to the waiter. He said, "We have 13 of them." I had one. It was outstanding. The food was excellent! I had green enchiladas. I come from Texas. I know Mexican food. This ranked right up there with the best. All-in-all, a surprising positive experience. An additional plus, if you are a fan of the "Army Wives" TV show, the Hump Bar is right up the street.

1  Thank bureaucrat377
Reviewed September 7, 2012

It is my best friends favorite Mexican restaurant in all of Charleston but she didn't grow up in California. It is pretty good for Charleston, I mean they are kind of far from Mexico. Good margaritas, though.