“Not so hot”

Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Dallas, TX
“Not so hot”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

We checked in late at night after driving over 16 hours to get to Charleston and were hoping for a nice rest in a clean hotel room. Less than five minutes in our room proved we were not going to be getting that. The room smelled like urine and we saw three huge roaches just chilling out on the furniture. Disgusting! We went to the front desk to request a room change and were told by a very flustered and slightly rude employee that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing he could do. He tried to send us back to our room with a can of bug spray! I'm actually still shocked that he thought that was acceptable. After a very firm request that he find us another room at a different Best Western or another hotel, he began calling a few other hotels. He got us a room at a hotel down the street that was much nicer, cleaner, and smelled much better. And the best part? No bugs!So while our story had a happy ending, the customer service we recieved (or did not receive) was ridiculous! And the rooms just really need to be cleaned better and sprayed for bugs!

1 Thank Kris-n-Paul
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, July 30, 2009
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative. I am shocked that this guest received such terrible guest service. I am aware of this situation and I can assure everyone that the room in question has been treated for insects by a professional pest control company. Additionally, I have met with the General Manager of our contracted Pest Elimination Company and explained that this type of incident was unacceptable considering that the rooms are treated each month. They will, therefore, be treating every room in the again so as to insure that they are pest free.
I will re-train the associate in question as his behavior was not reflective of our standards.
Again, I apologize to this guest for their inconvenience but thank them for letting me know about their experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Enid, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2009

Oh my goodness this is a great place to stay! We arrived in Charleston and my husband was not feeling well. I called the hotel to see if by chance we could check in early. They called me back within 15 minutes and told me our room was ready. We arrived and I went to the front desk where I was greeted by Darlene. Darlene was very pleasant, helpful and professional. Got our room keys and went to the room. Very nice room - probably remodeled on the inside not too long ago. Nice furnishings, great bed and tons of great pillows! Hair Dryer, Iron, Ironing Board, Refridgerator, Microwave and a great AC unit too. The next morning we had breakfast and the bagels with cream cheese and strawberry jam were great! They also offered waffles, oatmeal, toast, peanut butter, jams, boiled eggs, coffee, hot tea, juice, milk and a few more items I am sure. I just was focused on getting bagels. The attendant also offered to make us waffles, but we declined as we just like bagels. Customer Service is not just something as part of the mission statement here it is the mission statement lived out each day. We had grounds men, housekeepers, front desk staff and others greet us and say hello. Very friendly staff and very helpful. We had planned to stay two nights, but with my husband becoming ill we had to go home early. The next day I went to the front desk and told them we had to leave early and they were so very kind and only charged us for one night. I did not even have to ask - she just took care of it for me. I was very impressed! Also when checking in Darlene excused herself to take a phone call and a gentleman came out and asked me if I had been helped (probably the property manager) - I told him yes I had and thanked him for asking me. Great prices and not a very far drive to the downtown district of Charleston. Just around the corner from the Citadel Mall. Just FYI close by you will find a Burger King, McDonald's and a Ruby Tuesday's. Grocery stores near by are Piggly Wiggly (close to mall) and a Harris Teeter. Very good location for us and very good price with GREAT service and place to relax after running around Charleston all day! Also if you need direction just see the front desk as they have maps of the downtown area and directions to many places you might like to visit while in Charleston. Sweetgrass Inn Staff - Thank you very much! We will be back to stay very soon.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2009

We stayed here 7/10 & 7/11 for $105 a night. When we got there there was an empty gin bottle on the chair of our room. Also, I could'nt find a remote for the TV so I started looking under the bed and out jumps a two inch long Palmetto bug. Normally, I would have been very mad but the lady at the front desk was very nice and let us change rooms and we received one night at half price. The room needed to be cleaned more thoroughly. Breakfast was good, the pool was nice, and the help was polite and nice.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2009
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments about their stay with us. I am mortified that they found the conditions they did upon check-in. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations at a fair market price. Obviously, in this case, we had a break down in our system. I apologize for the conditions this guest encountered but am grateful that our service staff was able to make them comfortable for the rest of their stay. We will do better next time.
Lexington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Great place to stay, WONDERFUL customer service! All the staff was great! Very nice property and well maintained. Great Pool! I think it is a great location! We had a wonderful time and will be returning!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2009
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always appreciate guest feedback as it assists us in improving our operation. I am sure my staff will be very happy to hear that their hard work was noticed and appreciated.

Thanks again!
San Jose, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel.
The location is great, close to downtown, the plantations.....
The breakfasts were very very good, enough choices and the attendant was very helpful.
The room was nice, A/C worked great. The bathrooms were a bit outdated and old, but did its function.
the service was outstanding, the front desk (monique - spelling ?) was absolutely fantastic.
One thing, when we did get first into our room, had a smell of clorox or some cleaner (probably was just cleaned), but the smell went away after 15 minutes (or maybe we goyt used to it), otherwise if you are with a family, it would be perfect
Thanks... Don

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
SW Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

My wife and I wanted to go to Charleston for the 4th of July holiday weekend. Finding a reasonably priced room in Charleston was difficult until we found this hotel. Much to our surprise, the cheapest hotel in the area (that wasn't a complete dump) was a wonderful place to stay.

The staff was extremely helpful. When we checked in, the person working the counter asked what we wanted to do while we were in Charleston. Once we told her, she then proceeded to pull out a map showing us where everything was, the best places to park and the best times of day to go. She even gave us a nice hidden place where the locals go to watch fireworks. Every staff member we met always waved or said hello, and they even made your waffles for you at the continental breakfast (monday morning only). It was perfect!

The rooms were clean and well layed out (two sinks one in the bath one out). The beds were very comfortable (Serta pillowtops) but a bit small with the largest being a queen.

While not in the heart of the historic district, you can be there in five minutes...even on a holiday weekend!

The grounds were well maintained and they have an absolutley HUGE swimming pool. The deep end is 10 feet deep! I haven't seen a pool like this at a budget hotel in a long time if ever.

Overall it was a great experience and we'll stay there from now on when we go to Charleston.

Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

Everything was better than expected from the receptionist who was exremely helpful, the facilities, comfort and cleanliness of the room to the outdoor pool. The breakfast was better than average as well!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple