“Nice stay”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #23 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The hotel staff were very nice and helpful, and the hotel is at a great location. The room was nice, and it had everything we needed. Breakfast was good. Our only problem was that the hairdryer wasn't working properly, and when we turned on the air, the room got really humid. Other than that, everything was great!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank joyworld111
Bill R, Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear joyworld111,

It was a pleasure to serve you. I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. I did review these issues with my maintenance team to ensure all hairdryers and air conditioning units are working properly. I am delighted that you enjoyed all staff interaction. Thanks again for staying with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,318)

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Very outdated and overpriced motel. The nice things about the hotel are the location (close to downtown Charleston), the staff (very helpful and extremely nice) and the pool. Unfortunately, the room was very old and worn and there was a drainage problem with the bathtub. I will stay at another hotel the next time.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear 529loric,

Many thanks to you for posting this review. We do appreciate feedback be it negative or positive as we find it helpful in improving the service we provide. We are soon to start a very impressive renovation at our property that will surely provide a better guest experience. I did see that you enjoyed the convenience of the location and the staff interaction. We would love the opportunity to provide you with the awesome level of service we know that we are capable of..

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Exceptional hotel! I'm not the type that requires 5 star lodging, so I booked one of the cheaper hotels in the area. The room smelt fresh (despite being a smoking room), and every inch was clean. Upon inspection, the sheets were laundered and in pristine condition. Comfortable, pillow-top mattress! Although the rooms surrounding us were booked, I never heard our neighbors.

(Basic Necessities) The continental breakfast served every morning had a variety to choose from- oatmeal, fruit, baked goods, etc. In the office, they had coffee all day and a variety of creamers. I also appreciated the hospitality of the ladies working the desk. My companion printed out several documents from their guest computer and the ladies didn't bat an eye when he drained the printer of ink. Requests for additional soap and towels was met with generosity. The refrigerator in our room was a bit larger than those at other hotels and actually kept leftovers salvageable!

(Location) The hotel is away from the busiest part of town, but in convenient proximity (10 minutes from downtown Charleston). Located on Savannah highway, its quieter than most areas and the AC unit actually drowned out any residual traffic hum. Ample parking on site within feet of your room. The area north of the hotel is residential and seems to be an alright area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SamanthaTeal89

Dear SamanthaTeal89,

Thanks so much for this awesome review. It was wonderful to see that you felt we were an exceptional hotel. I am so delighted to see that you found the linens in the room to be in pristine condition. It appears that you were also satisfied with the complimentary breakfast. I am happy that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks again for this fabulous review.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I would recommend this hotel when visiting Charleston, especially if you have your own transportation. It is cheaper than staying in downtown Charleston and not that far away. It was a pretty standard room, but clean. The bathrooms were small. The breakfast was a standard hotel breakfast, When we arrived we were informed that they had not booked us in a first floor room as requested and if we wanted this we would have to move in a few days. It was because we wanted a non-smoking room and they had failed to give us one. One of the drawbacks was that outside the second floor staircase some local construction workers who were staying at the hotel long term had set up a barbecue grill. They sat out there at the bottom of the stairs and grilled, drank beer, and talked loudly every night. It was disturbing. The management was going to ask the workers to take down the grill in the future because other customers complained as well. The continental breakfast workers were very attentive.

Room Tip: I would stay here again.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

Dear TGWinkle,

I am glad that you found our hotel to be a cost effective alternative to the downtown hotels with easy access back into the historic district. I do apologize that your request was not honored. We always strive to fulfill every special request. We can generally accommodate these requests if booked directly through the hotel as third party requests are generally looked at on the day of arrival. I also apologize that you found other guests to be a disturbance to you during your stay. We can assure you that this type of behavior is not tolerated as we want to provide all of our guests with a positive experience.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed here for a night on a last minute trip to Charleston. The hotel staff were all helpful, our room was comfortable and clean. They have a nice pool but we did not use it. The free breakfast was your typical free hotel breakfast menu but it was fine for us. I will say that the prices seem a little steep. We were given a military discount for the first night but for a weeknight I still thought it was a bit steep. I.m sure rates are cheaper once tourist season winds down. I would stay here again though.

1  Thank TNTraveler68

Dear TNTraveler68,

Thanks for taking the time to post this wonderful review. I am glad that you found the staff to be very helpful and the rooms comfortable and clean. Please come back and visit with us again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My family and I stayed here for one night during a quick weekend trip to Charleston. I booked the room through a third-party hotel site and was able to secure a price slightly less than what is advertised. This Best Western is located about 10 minutes from historic downtown Charleston, and the area is really quiet.

Check-in was quick and easy. The clerk mistakenly asked for payment (I pre-paid) and was insistent that I did not pay through the third-party site, but after consulting with another employee, the employee confirmed that I did, indeed, already pay. The clerk apologized to me a few times for the misunderstanding, and even with that oversight, I was out of there in five minutes.

The room contained two full beds and was very clean and comfortable. There were no issues with noise or rowdy guests. Breakfast was great, too! You can make waffles (excellent) and pancakes, and they serve muffins, pastries, sausage, cereal, and several beverage options. The dining facility was clean, quiet, and constantly supervised by an employee.

Check-out was just as easy. It took me about a minute to turn in my room keys, and that was it! Overall, we were very happy with our stay. Friendly employees and a nice room to stay in was the best we could ask for. Would definitely recommend an stay here again! I'm giving this property 5 stars not because it's a five-star hotel, but based on this level/type of hotel, it exceeded our expectations.

3  Thank vlmiller

Dear vlmiller,

We are very thankful for such an awesome review. We strive to provide an excellent guest experience and you let each of us know that we are definitely on track. It is great that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. You are more than welcome to become a part of our family of return guest. See you again soon.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed 3 nights in the back building. The rooms were clean, beds were comfortable and what looked like a new air conditioner worked great. The staff is wonderful, from the desk right down to the gals providing the continental breakfast. We would stay there again.
(They were just shampooing out carpet when we arrived and although 2 stains remained it was nice knowing the rug was fresh & cleaned)

1  Thank D C

Dear D C,

I'm happy to see that you enjoyed every component of your stay with us. I was impressed that you described the staff interaction as wonderful and that you were pleased that we had the carpets freshly shampooed before your arrival. If you are ever in the Charleston area please come visit with us again.