“Overrated”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed October 27, 2008

Me and my wife stayed at this motel for two nights. I review this motel with 2 stars because:

++ this motel is a good location for visiting Charleston
+ you can manage to get a good weekday rate (about 60-70 USD)

~ room & bathroom have been as expected

But some negative aspects made us feel disappointed:

--- the weekend rate (about 130 USD) was excessive for that place – I would not book it again for this price!
--- internet-access did not work the first evening: I informed the reception about the problem. The lady there did not feel really concerned with this issue: she told me, that this problem has occurred the whole day, but I can phone the help desk of the internet service provider if I want to know further details (!!!). I had to do so, because I needed a connection for making reservations for our next stay (support could find a solution within in 30 minutes)…
- breakfast: we really did not expect anything special, but at this inn nobody ever thought about making it a little bit nicer or better –you will feel this. For a weekend rate of 130 USD it was just inferior.
- staff: no smile, when arriving; no help with the internet-problem; even no “good bye” after checking out.
- some problems in the room: the major room-light did not work, the refrigerator made some annoying noise – when not cooling too (I turned it off the second night), TV problems (TV seemed to be interfered), the bed was squeaking.

After all I will for sure not stay at this motel again, just as little I would recommend it to others…

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2008

I would like to thank this guest for sharing their opinions with us. I would encourage them to contact me personally to discuss the unfortunate issues that occured during their visit with us.
I have shared these comments with my staff. They were embarrassed that they provided less then excellant customer service. I am sure that they will not repeat these mistakes.
Our rates are based upon a number of factors, but most predominantly, market conditions and the prices of our competitors. On the weekend in question, Charleston was experiencing heavier then usual demand and our competitors were charging as much as $179.00. We felt our price of $130 was reasonable given the market situation.
Again, thank you to this guest for sharing their comments. We will use them as a training tool moving forward.

Reviewed October 9, 2008

The rooms was nice & clean & worth the price. Its close to many of Charlestons fun spots & tourist attractions.

Stayed: October 2008
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2008

I am happy to hear this guest found us conveniently located and worth the price. We are undertaking many renovations in the upcoming months that, we hope, will satisfy our guests even more.

Reviewed September 3, 2008

Previous reviewers are right, the hotel staff are very professional and efficient. The woman taking care of the breakfast area is a jewel.

The reception area of the hotel is very attractively set out and we really appreciated the PC provided for guests' use. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The TV, iron, microwave all worked fine. The bathroom, though, was small and the fittings looked dated.

The pool was excellent, very nicely landscaped, about 11ft deep and carefully cleaned every day. The breakfast was better than we usually find at chain motels, we liked the free newspaper and it was great to sit down outside and eat on the small terrace.

Getting into Charleston is no trouble and takes about 15 mins. The hotel is also conveniently placed for getting to the plantations. The area itself, though, is entirely commercial, and whilst safe it is essentially charmless.

But I'd say overlook that and go with BW Sweetgrass as they are obviously a hotel committed to providing high quality service at a reasonable price.

Stayed: August 2008
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2008

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to write this review. We strive to make sure every guest enjoys not only their stay with us but their visit to Charleston as well. I am certain that our staff will be very happy to know their hard work is appreciated.

Thanks again!

Reviewed August 24, 2008

First and foremost I give this property an A+ for friendliness. Everyone was a pleasure to deal with, answered all our questions, gaves us tips on what to see, where to eat etc., all with a smile. We were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel located on busy Savannah Highway but an easy 15 minutes from downtown Charleston. There isn't a whole lot to chose from in the way of decent food on this stretch of highway, mostly fast food and a so-so barbeque joint next door. Stay in Charleston and eat at one of the many excellent restaurants there. Other businesses within a half mile of the hotel include several car dealerships, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, CVS, etc., definately a commercial strip but in a decent area.

This is clearly an older hotel that was recently remodeled. The lobby was nicely decorated. A large fresh floral arrangement greets you as you walk in. Also in the lobby is a computer and printer for use by hotel guests. Walk through a small hall and you enter into a nice size room that overlooks the pool. This is where the free breakfast is served. On the wall is large screen t.v. tuned to CNN. We found the seating to be ample and each table had a complimentary issue of USA Today, a nice touch.

The breakfeast buffet was standard issue but well stocked and tended to. Bagels, yogurt, two kinds of cereal, danish, fresh fruit, juice, waffles, coffee & tea rounded out the menu. We are not big breakfast eaters so this was more than sufficient for our needs. If you're the type that needs bacon, eggs and pancakes every morning you'll be dissapointed.

The pool area was very nicely landscaped, lots of palms and flowers. Although we didn't use the pool it looked clean and refreshing. Many rooms overlooked the pool although ours didn't. If I stayed here again I would definately ask for a room with a pool view.

Our room was towards the back of the property behind the row of rooms that overlooked the pool. Our room overlooked the parking lot but quite honestly we weren't sitting in our room all day looking out the window so it wasn't an issue for us. The room itself was small but nicely equiped with a fridge, microwave, iron & ironing board, coffee maker and hair dryer. There was a small seating area with a table in front of the window.

The vanity was in the sleeping quarters while the toilet and shower were in a separate room. The bathroom was very tiny with no more than an inch clearance between the toilet and the door when its opened. When you open the bathroom door it actually looks like its going to hit the toilet, that's how close it is! In any event, the bathroom was clean and served its purpose. The towels were a little rough but again, they were clean and we had plenty of them.

We had two double beds. They were outfitted with three pillows each and an extra soft mattress pad. I myself perfer a firmer mattress but I give them points for at least trying to add a little luxury. The sheets smelled clean and fresh and in fact were clean and fresh. The bedspread also appeared clean as was the carpet. I saw no stains, cigarette burns, etc. anywhere. The room was pest free with no sign of ants, spiders or the dreaded cockroach.

Besides the small size size of the room the only other negative was the stale and musty odor of the room. In fact, we commented a few days into our stay that our clothes actually felt damp. Perhaps because we were on the ground floor and there was a lot of rain during our stay the situation was aggravated. We did find that if the a/c was put on "max cool" this helped alleviate the problem but then the room became uncomfortably cold.

I'm not sure if we had neighbors above or on either side of us because we heard no one, although I will say that the parking lot was full. This was one of the quieter hotel rooms that we've stayed in a very long time.

Overall I rate this property a B+. Considering we only paid $59/night I think it was great value. On the the down side the room was small and could use a dehumidifier. On the plus side it was clean, quiet, convenient, inexpensive & friendly. I would not hesiate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2008

Thank you to this guest for writing such a thorough review. We appreciate the kind words and will share them with our staff. I am sure they will be excited to read them.

I am sorry this guest found their room to be damp. We will look into this issue and affect repairs as necessary.

Again, thank you!

Reviewed August 21, 2008

I made my reservation online and loved the fact that the website was so user-friendly. When I arrived, the front desk clerk was very kind and cheerful and showed me exactly where I could park and where my room would be located. The staff was very knowledgeable of the Charleston area and able to make many suggestions for dinner and tours. The pool is beautiful and was a great place to relax. I loved the fact that while I was meandering around the property, I saw different staff members that greeted me and asked how I was doing. I definitely suggest this place since they are in a convenient location to everything!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2008

Thank you to this guest for their wonderful review. I have posted it on our associate bulletin board so they can see that their hard work is noticed!

Thanks again!

Reviewed August 15, 2008

I booked a spot at this hotel because of the reviews here and the price for the room. The hotel is clean, neat and tidy and the staff and manager were very friendly (save for one front desk agent who was efficient but not very personable). The grounds are well kept, the pool is big and clean and the hotel is super convenient to Folly Island beach and Charleston historical district. An awesome value all considering.

The wi-fi wasn't so great, logging in was a bit complicated and you had to have a pop-up staying up the entire time or else you would get disconnected. The wi-fi signal issue wasn't a big deal because the room did have an Ethernet cord at the desk so internet connectivity wasn't a problem. You just weren't able to move about.

I'd definitely stay here again when visiting Charleston.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2008

Thank you to this guest for writing such a wonderful review. I have passed along the comments regarding the log-in page to our wireless internet provider in the hope that they can improve their system.

We always appreciate such honest feedback as it is a valuable tool we use to improve our operation. I am sure my staff will be quite pleased to read these comments.

Reviewed August 2, 2008

The price was reasonable. It was a great location. The staff both on the phone and at the hotel were exceptional! We would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2008

I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their thoughts about our property. We aim to please each guest we come in contact with. Obviously, in this guest's case, we came close to our goal.