“Clean and Dog Friendly”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
Reviewed May 5, 2008

Husband, dog and i stay at this hotel for its proximity to our son's apartment. Hotel is clean, breakfast is o.k., staff and housecleaning crew is super friendly. Hi speed internet works perfectly. Beds were very comfortable. Hotel is quiet, but typical Charleston traffic makes get in and out a typical Charleston challenge.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2008

I would like to thank this guest for their comments. Our staff always enjoys hearing that their efforts are noticed. We will continue towards our goal of 100% guest satisfaction.

Reviewed May 1, 2008

The hotel was a decent stay however some things did irk me regarding the stay. First off as you come into town there is a sign advertising 74/night accomadations. However I had already had a prebooked reservation that you cant cancel, then when you get to the hotel it advertised 79/night hotel. So it appears just wait until you get into town and book then vs prebooking online and paying 86/night. Also during check in the front desk person told me I reserved a queen smoking room, I replied thats strange I am pretty sure I booked a non smoking queen. He replied well if you want a non smoking you have to have 2 doubles, I replied thats fine I just dont want smoking. Well once I got into my room I loaded up the email and I had in deed reserved a Non Smoking Queen room, what irked me more is that I went to the hotel website and was able to book a Queen Nonsmoking room so what gives? The continental breakfast is your normal fare, a couple of cereals, danishes, bagels and milk assortment; nothing to write home about but adequate. All in all average hotel, however the rooms were nicely remodeled.

Reviewed April 29, 2008

We spent two fabulous days in Charleston as part of our 1st anniversary road trip to SC. We chose BW Sweetgrass Inn for its value & relative close proximity to historic downtown. If I were to give any negative comments, it's just that it's off of a very busy street which was a bit challenging on Saturday late afternoon to turn left towards downtown.
The check-in went smoothly. We were in a clean room w/a very comfy king-size bed full of pillows, a couch, table, refrigerator & microwave. The ice machine was very close. I put the hair dryer to good use. There was an iron, but we didn't need to use it.
We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, which included bagels, toast, waffles, eggs, pastries, cereal, yogurt, fruit, & of course the standard breakfast drinks. It was in a nicely kept room with a flat screen to catch up on the latest news/weather. The staff all around were friendly & worked hard to assure the comforts of the guests.
We hope to return in the near future for a longer stay in Charleston, & we would choose BW Sweetgrass Inn again.

• Check in / front desk
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2008

I would like to thank this guest for posting such kind words about our property. It is nice for our staff to hear that their efforts are making a difference.

Thanks!

Reviewed April 26, 2008

Just returned back from the great city of Charleston. We were extremely disappointed in the cleanliness of the hotel room at the BW. We spoke with other guests at the hotel who had similiar experiences. Obviously, there is NO inspection of the housekeeping services in these rooms. The room had a strong moldy smell that even the a/c on high all day did not relieve. Visible mold all over the bathroom tile, nail clippings in bathrm and on the floor next to bed, a clump of hair inside the fresh towels, trash, crayons and a necktie from previous occupants left on floor beside bed, very dusty/ "slimy" alarm clock and lamp. I have never stayed in a dirtier room. The rate of $169 Fri/Sat is outrageous for the quality!

On the upside the hotel staff at the desk and breakfast room were very friendly and there was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. We felt safe and the hotel was approx. 10 minutes to town.

I waited to write this review until I heard back from the management. They acknowledged receipt of my letter and indicated that they would "look into this issue", but did not seem at all suprised by the comments. Is this a common letter theme they receive?????

Bring some clorox with you if you stay at this hotel!

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2008

We were quite surprised to learn of this guest's dissatisfaction as they did not, during their stay, inform us about any problems. Instead, they waited until after their departure when nothing could be done to address the issue. Nevertheless, we appreciate the feedback and the opportunity to improve.

Our goal at the Best Western - Sweetgrass Inn is 100% Guest Satisfaction. To that end, we INSPECT all of our rooms every day for cleanliness. I can only imagine that this guest's room was skipped accidently.

This guest's comments were so suprising they were made the center piece of our recent staff meeting. Steps have been taken to insure that similar mistakes are never made again.

Reviewed March 24, 2008

This place is a little outside of town - about a 10 minute drive. Overall it was clean, safe, and comfortable but I think there were bedbugs! Both my husband and I developed really itchy bumps a day after staying here. I can't be sure, and otherwise it was just fine, but do beware. If you are willing to risk it, the price is good.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank easytraveller12
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2008

I would like to thank this reviewer for their kinds words. I would also welcome this reviewer to contact me personally so we can determine which room she stayed in. We take the recent return of bed bugs to the hotel industry quite seriously. As such, we have our associates trained quarterly by professional exterminators in how to detect bed bugs. 100% guest satisfaction has always been our goal and bed bugs would certainly not help our efforts!

Reviewed March 24, 2008

I stayed at this hotel March 2-7 while looking for an apartment in the area. I found this to be an excellent location, very close to downtown, Folly Beach, & 526. For 5 nights tax included (with a corporate discount) was only $360. As the other review before mine had mentioned, there were a lot of construction workers who appeared to be staying there. Never had any problems from this and overall the hotel was a fairly quite place. Only problem I had was for about 2 nights there was a large group of teenagers who were staying at the hotel and they would gather in the room above mine and they were pretty loud, but besides that everything was fine. I will definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family if they need a place to stay when visiting the area.
Likes:
-Very comfortable beds
-Plenty of pillows
-Housekeeping was very good at making sure we had plenty of towels and keeping the room neat
-Friendly staff
-Refrigerator and microwave in room
-Overall, very clean room
Dislike:
-A little loud at times, depends on the type of people staying in the rooms around you

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank scpalmtree

I would like to thank this reviewer for their kind words. We aim for 100% guest satisfaction. It is nice to know we are getting closer to our goal!

Reviewed February 28, 2008

The staff was very friendly and helpful. For a hotel in Charleston it seemed more like a camp out for construction workers than what was adverstised on website. The hotel was clean but not a place for tourists. In fact the hotel had more construction workers than tourists. I would never stay here again. The next time in Charleston we stayed in the historic district.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PeachBelle8288
SICGM, Bill Richards, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2008

We certainly appreciate this guest taking the time to share their thoughts! It is true that during the winter months (Nov - Feb) we do have a good amount of construction workers as well as business people staying at the property Sunday through Thursday. However, at no time do we lose our focus on our vacationing guests. We are always available to answer questions, book tours, or provide directions to whatever part of Charleston you'd like to see.

We stand ready to help all of our guests make the most out of their visit to Charleston.