“Good Accomodations - Location??”

Best Western Charleston Inn
Ranked #24 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
“Good Accomodations - Location??”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We stayed for two nights -Oct 27/28 at the Best Western /Sawgrass. We arrived in the early afternoon and was allowed to check in early - which was very nice. We drove into Charleston to take a city tour with Gray Line and got a very nice sense of the city during the 90 minute tour. I would highly recommend it as a good initiation to the city. While buying tickets we were asked to attend a 90 minute -Vacation Club presentation - (Time Share) which we always avoid, but was told by the clerk it would be a low key forum. To make a long story short we attended the presentation for Festival vacation club and it was very low pressured and walked out with two tickets to the Magnolia Plantation and a $50 visa card - We went to the plantation - but would not advise it during October - little to see and a little pricey, although we had two free tickets. We used the $50 visa card to have dinner in a very nice Italian restaurant on Church St. Getting back to the Best Western, the rooms were a little dated, but they were clean. The only complaint was it's location - it s right on Rt. 17 - 4 miles outside the city - a fairly easy drive, but getting out of the lot during the busy time of the day was difficult. I would recommend staying in the city, as it is small enough to get around by car, as well as cheap to park in the many lots they have. You can find a few other Best Western's in the city itself, perhaps for a few dollars per night more. Places to see in Charleston would be the church st. market area, which had many open-air shops as well as some high priced ones. Taking a tour of the Citadel was a highlight for me as being retired military, we lucked out and they had a "pass and review" parade on the Friday we were there. Seeing 2000 cadets marching with the band was great (for me) - not so if you ask my wife. All in all a very nice visit to Charleston and would go there again. The Best Western also allowed us a late check-out of 2:00pm due to us having a late flight which I thought was very nice.

Room Tip: Then rooms all face the parking lot - try to stay away from the front of the hotel as you might hear...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
SICGM, General Manager at Best Western Charleston Inn, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their review as well as for choosing to stay with us during their visit to Charleston.

Again, thank you for your comments as well as for your business. We look forward to serving you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Radcliff, Kentucky
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I travelled in from western KY and when I arrived at the Sweetgrass Inn I was tired. The front desk had my reservation all ready and in a matter of a couple minnutes I was relaxing in my room. The accomodations were relaxing, the wi-fi was very functional (I have had some problems with other hotel's wi-fi) and the bed was very comfortable. The folks at the hotel seemed to bend over backwards to make sure everything suited me, which is a pleasant surprise in this day and age.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 31, 2011

This Best Western goes above and beyond in caring for its guests. Rooms are spacious with all the amenities one needs and soft comfortable beds on which to head to dreamland. The staff is friendly to the point of remembering your name and your breakfast choices. They offer great advice on what sites to vist and where to eat - true southern hospitality and all for a very resonable price!

2 Thank Susan M
Salem, SC
Reviewed October 31, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Best Western Sweetgrass Inn and would definitely stay there again. We stayed in a room in the first building overlooking the pool which is supposed to be nicer. It is an older inn but recent renovations make it an A... nice size room, very high ceiling, very comfortable beds, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker..There is a sink outside the bathroom which is helpful since the bathroom is rather small. We did miss the breakfast due to sleeping late so I cannot comment on that. I am very picky about noise and this inn is very quiet room to room unless someone is outside in the parking lot. I would definitely stay again. I would suggest that they get nicer towels and try to clean up the outside walkways to rooms. They most likely will do this since they appreciate comments.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the the first building overlooking the pool. These are supposed to be nicer but hav...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

As stated many times, our goal is to help our guests enjoy all that Charleston has to offer while staying in a well-maintained, clean, comfortable room. It seems, based upon this review, that we came close to achieving that goal. I am sure my staff will enjoy reading that their hard work was appreciated. We are planning a renovation to our sidewalks in the near future to address your concerns.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed one night at this motel and were very impressed because you get A LOT for your money. Not only is the front desk woman super friendly and the room nice and clean, but you get a bunch of amenities free, such as an extensive continental breakfast, wi-fi and HBO. The room had 2 sinks as well, which was an added bonus - 1 inside the bathroom, 1 just outside it. Yes, it's outside of downtown, but it's only a few miles and the neighborhood it's in is nice enough. I recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abigail_in_Austin

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was a great location for my daughter and I on a birthday celebration road trip--just a few minutes drive to the historic district and airport. Very friendly and helpful staff, quiet, clean, nice breakfast, good size pool and soooo comfortable beds. Really liked having one of the sinks outside the bathroom so we could both get ready at the same time--great idea!! Thanks for very pleasant stay.

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The Inn's Manager, Bill Williams, was great to work with and accomodated our wedding party of thirty with no problems. This pre-cruise and post cruise stay found the propperty to be clean, comfortable, and nicely landscaped too. The staff was very friendly, helpful, and allowed for free parking when we departed on the cruise. It's centrally located, close to the Port and downtown venues and I'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to share their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We always value guest feedback as it allows us to concentrate our efforts at improvement directly at those items our guests feel are important.

It is our goal to offer our guests clean, comfortable accommodation with excellent guest service. It seems, in this case, we came close to achieving that goal. As we share these reviews with our staff, I am sure they will enjoy reading that their hard work was noticed and appreciated.

Again, thank you for your comments. We hope the cruise was a great success and look forward to serving you again.