“Regrettable.”

Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Charleston
Charleston, South Carolina
“Regrettable.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

The feel of intimacy with the previous guests was not lacking. We observed their garbage well preserved in the trash receptacle beneath the anteroom sink. We noted their lavishly shed hair amongst the gritty sheets. Their grease in and on the refrigerator, the little way they left peculiar stains on the carpet, and so much more. In short, the room was repulsive.

Room Tip: ask for the room without bugs
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank markwebster
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments. I must admit, I was shocked to read that someone had such a low opinion of our property. Our goal is to offer clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent customer service. Obviously, in the case of this guest, we fell far short of this goal.
I am so sorry that any of our guests had to endure a stay such as this. I have posted this review on our associate bulletin board and instructed our Executive Housekeeper to retrain all of her associates.
I wish this guest would take the time to contact me personally, so we can discuss the issues that occured during their visit.
Again, thank you for your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2011

this hotel is okay. i would stay again if i needed to and got a great rate. not the utmost in cleanliness (some sticky spots on the wood furniture), but clean enough that i was comfortable spending 2 nights. the staff is friendly. free parking & wifi (which worked) was appreciated. fitness center was basically 1 treadmill and 1 bike or something similar. the hotel is a bit removed (thus the more affordable rate availability), and traffic on the savannah highway can be slow and heavy moving into town.

i agree with other reviewers that my biggest complaints were things that are typical in the south... the rooms open to the outdoors and it is a hot, humid climate. this leaves the room & linens quite humid / a bit damp feeling. not unbearable, but not ideal. also in this type of climate & set-up, you're going to get bugs. not bedbugs or anything, but things like spiders, roaches, moths, junebugs. that sort of thing. i had 3 or 4 in two days. but i grew up in humid texas, so i'm used to it.

all in all, its worth a couple nights' stay if you get a great rate on a discount site. i certainly wouldn't dream of paying the rates they offer directly.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to post their comments as well. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it allows us to concentrate our efforts at improvement directly at those areas our guests tell us are important.
I am sorry this guest did not thoroughly enjoy their visit. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent customer service. Obviously, in this case, we missed our stated goal.
I have taken the liberty of sharing these comments with our staff members so they may improve their efforts.
Again, many thanks. We hope to see you again.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2011

Normally I would only say this hotel was an average value, but relative to the other prices in Charleston it's value seemed very good! Having a fridge was nice. Waffles for breakfast. Good location near downtown and Folly Beach. Friendly staff. All around pretty good.

The only thing I can complain about, wasn't the hotel's fault. One day, we came back from downtown and our room REEKED of smoke. My only guess is that some people were smoking outside our room and the a/c unit sucked it right into our room! It was unfortunate, but we cranked up the a/c and the smell eventually dissapated.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, June 24, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments as well as for choosing to stay with us. We place a high premium on guest feedback as it allows us to constantly improve our operation.
I am sorry you found your room smelling of smoke one day. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. I am sorry if this incident affected your trip in anyway.
Again, thank your for your comments. We hope to see you again.
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was our first trip to Charleston and we noticed that many area hotels were poorly located or overpriced. This hotel was a good balance between location and cost. The room was your average Best Western room with the common musty smell that accompanies many southern waterfront hotels. The bathroom could use a once over but overall the room was fine. A few bugs were seen in the room, but again, this is the deep south, and for the price range, fairly common! The breakfast room was better than most with a really nice lady that helped the kids get their food together. Plenty of parking and the area was reasonably secure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Many thanks to this guest for taking the time to post their comments and for choosing to stay with us as well. We always appreciate guest feedback, be it positive or negative, as it allows us to constantly improve our operations.
I am sorry you found the room to be musty and to have a few unwelcome visitors. I wish we had known this as this is not normal for our property. We pride ourselves on offering clean, comfortable accommodations with excellent guest service. I am sorry you did not enjoy the true measure of our hospitality.
I have instructed our maintenance department to conduct a search of all rooms untils they find one with a musty smell and to eradicate it. Additionally, I have forwarded a copy of your comments to our pest removal company so they may take corrective action.
Again, thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I hope we see you again.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

I chose this hotel because it was half the price of downtown hotels, had a great big pool, coin laundry and was only 3 miles from downtown. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room woman was very friendly and helpful. She made the waffels for the guests and even brought me a wet towel to clean up my toddler. The hotel provided a packet of driving directions to everything you might need, grocery stores, wal mart, major attractions, beaches, etc. The room had two sinks - one in the bathroom and one outside of the bathroom. This came in handy. I felt this was a great value for the price and met our needs.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
I would like to thank this guest not only for choosing to stay with us but for taking the time to share their comments as well. We place a high premium on guest feedback as it allows us to improve our operation based on the thing that matters most; the requests of our guests.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2011

Enjoyed my recent stay at Sweetgrass Inn. The staff were very pleasant and eager to assist with any needs. The location was far enough away from Charleston proper to avoid heavy tourist traffic, but just a short drive away from activities. The room was clean, but the carpet could have been cleaner. I loved that the hotel gave me the option to "go green". Bedding was clean and in great condition. Could have used a couple more easy-access outlets. Despite being right on Savannah Highway, the room was quiet and sleep was undisturbed. Easy access to most anything within a mile or two. I'd stay here again without hesitation when visiting Charleston, but its a bit pricey and not for the budget conscious!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
I would like to thank this guest for taking the time to post their comments. We always appreciate guest feedback as it allows us to concentrate our efforts at improvmement directly at those issues which our guests find important.

As we share these reviews with our staff, I am sure they will enjoy reading that their hard work was recognized and appreciated.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for your comments. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Williamsburg, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

We stayed Monday - Friday. We arrived late on Monday (1am) to find that our room had not been cleaned -- beds not made, empty coffee cups everywhere, towels on the floor, etc. We were moved to another room in the very back of the hotel that was not as nice. It was far away from everything. The handle on the toilet was broken and would not flush. The next morning, we asked to be moved to our previous room once it was cleaned. That room was nicer, but that toilet wouldn't stop flushing! One day, we came back from sightseeing to find that our keys had been deactivated for no reason. I complained about these things when we checked out, and the guy at the desk promised me 20% off. The charge that had been on my credit card disappeared for a few days and then reappeared yesterday for the full amount. I've talked to three people about it now, and I keep getting told to talk to someone else. Extremely frustrating!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jakittel
SICGM, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charleston Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2011
I would like to apoligze to this guest for the frustrating set of circumstances that occured during their stay. I believe I have already corrected this guest's billing issue; if not, please contact me directly.
I have shared this review with both our front desk and housekeeping staff so they can improve their efforts.
Again, our apologies and thanks for taking the time to review our property.