“Huge Mistake !”

King Charles Inn
Ranked #18 of 61 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2006

My husband and I had booked this hotel for our honeymoon 4 months in advance. However, once we arrived in Charleston, they told us they had overbooked and we no longer had a room! When we asked for the manager, an 18 year old kid came to the front desk and told us there was nothing they could do for us and we would have to stay somewhere else. We ended up staying at the Holiday Inn in the Historic District where they informed us that it was common policy for the King Charles to pay for our first nights stay, which they REFUSED to do. We found this hotel to be the most unprofessional establishment we have ever been to. We definitely do NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank megachick96

Reviewed June 29, 2006

I didn't sleep...the walls are paper thin. I could hear actual conversations. Here's the good, bad and ugly. The good. Nice location. Lobby is pretty. Pool is nice. The bad. The pool only has three lounge chairs, one of which is broken. They charge 8.95 for breakfast (I thought it would be included just like the other hotels) The ugly...the rooms. They are small, smelly. There was orange mold on the bathroom tile. Another thing that upset me. Check out time is 12:00. We checked out and I asked if there would be a room for my daughter to lay down until our flight @ 2:30 (she wasn't feeling well) I know it would have been possible, but they said no. I would spend the extra money, get a better room and better service. If you don't mind a 10 minute walk I would reccommend Embassy Suites. The rooms are big and the customer service was great. I've learned - you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank marilynkay77
Reviewed June 22, 2006

We decided to stay here based upon reviews from this site and other internet sites. We basically just wanted a place to sleep with a good location so we could fully tour the city. The location is good, but the service is horrible! The concierge is rarely there, but the biggest problem is parking. Yes, they do advertise complimentary parking, but there's not enough!! To make matters worse, they have an extra lot across the street. But the directions are not clearly marked. Because we parked in a different lot (since the check-in staff did not give us any directions), our car actually got "booted." After paying a fine to remove the boot, we asked several hotel staff all the way up to the general manager to help us remedy the situation. They were not very forthcoming or nice about it. The fee was not that much money, but for a city known for their hospitality, you would have thought that customer service would be a little better. We would definitely not stay here again nor would we recommend this hotel to others. Ditto on the thin walls- we woke up every time someone used the bathroom or opened a door.

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank regana
Reviewed June 4, 2006

This isn't the prettiest hotel and I wouldn't necessarily book it for a special occasion. However, the location is excellent and in walking district to everything we wanted to see in the Historic District. The service was good and the room was very big with a comfortable bed. The walls are fairly thin and the balcony did overlook the car park - however, for a reasonably priced hotel we got plenty of space, a pool and free parking (v. useful as we had to pay for parking in most other hotels we stayed in) as well as being right in the centre. If you are looking for somewhere nice to eat, try Sticky Fingers, particularly the 'BBQ pulled pork' - the food was great.

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank VickySurrey
A TripAdvisor Member
Monroe, North Carolina
Reviewed May 30, 2006

My husband and I reserved a room with "private" balcony for our anniversery almost 2 months ahead. When we got there we had a room with a shared balcony overlooking the parking lot. When I ordered the room they said it was overlooking meeting st. I was also told that it was a suit but we did not even have a fridge.
The location is good and rooms are somewhat clean but for the money we paid for an 19 yr. wedding aniversery, it was very misleading. Also I don't know if it was mold or what but my husband and I woke every morning with stoped up heads and sore throts that got better when we went out.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Greenville
Reviewed May 15, 2006

It was much noiser that we thought it would be and the walls were extremely thin...you could hear EVERYTHING from the other room. The rooms were ok, the towels were kind of hard and the maid service did not understand the meaning of the "do not disturb" sign on the door. For a little more money a night, you could stay in a much nicer hotel in Charleston. The Best Western is a very old hotel that I feel overcharges because of its location.

Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed May 8, 2006

We stayed three nights at the King Charleston Inn and I had booked a balcony room. When we arrived, the balcony rooms are shared among all the other balcony rooms and overlook the parking lot. I was very disappointed since I had paid extra and the floor was soaking wet from the air conditioner unit. I asked for another room since I was disappointed with the balcony and they gave us another room although the next people that got the room was still having problems with the air conditioner. I had read a review from this website about the walls being thin... they definately are. I could lie in bed and listen to every word being said in the room next to us. As far as location, I was pleased. It is within walking distance to everything and you get free parking. Would I stay there again? Maybe, if I had a coupon because it was definately not cheap.

3  Thank Mimi1979