“Perfect” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Maryland
“Perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2009

We were delighted at the price, location, free internet in the lobby, and free parking. The unexpected treat was free cheese and crackers in the evening and later at night really good freshly baked cookies.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! Where else can you find FREE PARKING in downtown Charleston, I am so glad you enjoyed that little perk! Value is so important right now! Thank you again and I hope will return in the future! Have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2009

This hotel is in a most perfect location to all the downtown historical sites and fabulous restaurants. We walked to all of the sites/restaurants from the hotel. The hotel staff could't have been more friendly and accommodating. In fact, during our breakfast there, the hotel manager Maureen Sheridan walks around and asks what we are doing, what they can recommend, where we are thinking of dinning etc. We told her that we are thinking of visiting a plantation but we didn't have a car. She said not a problem. showed us a tour which goes to the plantation and will pick us up at the hotel. She got on her cell phone and made a reservation for us. We have stayed in many higher star hotels, but we've never gotten this level of service before. Just a jewel of a find IMHO

2 Thank tango223
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2009
I am so excited you enjoyed your stay here in Charleston! We strive to provide the highest quality of customer service! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn and I hope you can return in the future! Have a great day!
Chilliwack, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2009

What a wonderful wonderful place. I had wanted to go and visit Charleston for such a long time and we finally took the time to do so, as we picked the BW King Charles Inn. If you want to stay in the Historic District, the price can be very high. So, you can imagine our surprise (happy) to realized that we could get the room for $119 per night (after showing the RoomSaver coupon - taken from any travel rest area). The location is fantastic, right in the historic district, with free parking - which is very very rare (only another hotel has it and it is not as nice as the King Charles Inn). The doorman is exceptional and even gave me an umbrella to use as it was raining slightly as we were walking around town. When we realized what a gem the King Charles was, we tried to get a second night right away. Rebecca, the assistant manager was a gem herself and tried very hard to find us a room for an extra night, although the hotel showed " full booked' for the following night. She said she was going to keep an eye for possible cancellation and in the meantime, she allowed us a very late check out, allowed us to stay parked (for free) for the full 2 days and provided gym pass at no cost for the 2 days as well. I hope she will not be getting in trouble for such exceptional services, but things like that is what make a holiday something that you remember with fond memories. We were unlucky in getting a second night...but thanks to Rebecca, we never felt pressure to leave the hotel and all the amenities it offers. There is free business center with 2 high speed internet computer and between 4-6pm (or so) there is the "manager hour" which provides guests with cheese and cracker and reduced price on drinks. The gym is just few steps away from the hotel and is wonderful, offering Yoga, Pilate (took that one) and various treadmill (with personal TV) and bike and elliptical machine. The hotel room we had was AWESOME. I tell you, we definitely did not expect that. Queen size poster bed with flat screen TV and beautiful furniture and bedding. Shower and toilet are separated from the sink area, which add to the privacy. It was extremely quiet and we slept so well. At night, in the bar area, Rebecca was greeting guests with fresh baked cookies and kind words to everyone. Outside, there is a pool area with covered porch and beautiful furniture. Unfortunately it was a bit cool the day we were there and did not take advantage of it, but I could definitely see myself sitting by the pool, sipping a margarita and enjoying a relaxing time. If you are in town long enough, I strongly suggest the Horse Carriage Tour. You can get discounted coupon (supplied by Rebecca) and it cost $18 per person for the one-hour tour with guide that narrate along the route. It was fantastic and while I am not a big fan of "tourist attraction' this one really was worth every penny. Our guide was fantastic and full of humor. My husband loved the city as well, especially the 'cigar bar' where we would go at the end of the day and while he smoked a cigar, I sipped a beer while we watched people walk by. We were in Charleston for only 2 days, but we loved it so much that we are already planning to go back for my birthday in September. For sure we will be staying at the Best Western again. I hope you will all have the chance to visit this wonderful city.

2 Thank Pounette166
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
What an incredible description of your stay in Charleston and the King Charles Inn! Thank you for taking the time to compliment our staff and share your wonderful experience. It is people like you who make our job so rewarding and fun. We love to provide that added extra touch and I am so glad you enjoyed it! We look forward to your return! Thank you again!
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2009

I first stayed at the King Charles Inn back in 2000 and I am still coming back. That should pretty much sum it up.

They have recently renovated the facility, elevating it from nice to fantastic. Pretty close to a five star hotel with a three star price.

Located in the heart of the Historic District, the King Charles Inn continues to offer superb service from check-in to check out. The newly renovated rooms included new lcd television, ipod docking station, spacious bathroom and very nice decor. The huge bonus is free on-site parking, which is a rarity in the Historic District.

I have a hard believing you would be disappointed with the King Charles Inn. Truly superb.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank charlestonnole
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
WOW!!! Thank you for being such a loyal "KING CHARLES INN" fan! We sincerely appreciate you returning year after year and I am so glad you enjoyed the wonderful renovations! Your feedback is very important to us and I thank you for taking the time to share! Enjoy this great day!
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

I recently stayed in Charleston for 3 nights. I usually stay at the Planters Inn, but I was traveling with someone who wanted to go a little more economical.

This hotel was a fantastic experience from start to finish. Goodbye Planters Inn!

The location is great...easy walk to everything.
Parking and internet are free. Love it!
The rooms are pretty and comfortable.
The lobby/bar area are clean, modern and welcoming.
The staff is all super friendly and concerned about your satisfaction.

The best part:
Free coffee all day, free cheese and crackers at happy hour and free cookies after dinner!

Thank you to the wonderful front desk staff and bartender for such a pleasant experience.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank londonfog45
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2009
Welcome to the finest hotel in Charleston! I am glad you had the opportunity to check us out! Thank you for the nice compliments and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay at the King Charles Inn! We value your business!
Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2009

I had the pleasure to participate in the Southeastern Wildlife Expo in Charleston, SC. we stayed at the Best Western King Charles Inn during that time. We had a total of 4 rooms which included additional family. On top of this, I had a broken leg.
GM Maureen Sheridan & her staff could not have made our stay more pleasant . From the beginning when I first talked to Katie in reserving my room and then adding to the number of rooms, to Jabari at the front desk with his knowledge of the area and directing us to local, wonderful restaurants not on the tourist path, to Ryan & Chris at the bar in the evening. As a matter of fact, after a full, exhausting day exhibiting at the Expo, I mentioned to Ryan that I would love some ice cream. He immediately suggested that he go to Ben & Jerry's to get me some while I rested my broken leg. He would not take no for an answer. He was there and back in 10 minutes and I had to force a tip on him. This level of "going the extra mile" is very typical of the entire staff. Breakfast is terrific especially with Cindy & Marie welcoming every guest. I was so surprised to see the GM Maureen Sheridan at most breakfasts and at happy hours greeting and talking with guests. The rooms were perfect and a great value. The pool is secluded & will be wonderful when it is a little warmer. We will never stay at any other hotel other than the Best Western King Charles Inn. Well Done!!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank gwsanders
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, February 28, 2009
I was so excited to see your review on TRipAdvisor! I read your wonder letter to our entire staff at the All Employee Meeting and commended them for a job well done! Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your return!
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2009

GREAT location in CENTER of Charleston. Great deal for only $136 a night. THe problem was that there were guys having a bachelor party across the hall, (about 40) and they just partied all day and night. I was hoping they would get kicked out, but no such luck.

Besides that, WONDERFUL hotel RIGHT SMACK DAB in the middle of all the charleston things to do. A few blocks from the market, 15 minute walk to the water, and walking distance to every attraction.

NO free breakfast, but FREE parking (hard to find downtowN) and FREE wireless internet

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KingCharlesGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! I appreciate your candid feedback and hope you do not let the "bachelor" party noise deter you from visiting us again in the future. We do have Security on to prevent this from happening but unfortunately, we are unaware of what purpose the guest is staying here for until its too late. Please know that we strictly enforce a no party policy and do contact the local police to evict any such guest. I sincerely apologize for the unpleasant nights sleep and hope you will give us another chance! Thank you and have a great day!