“terrible construction noise”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vienna,Va
“terrible construction noise”
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

A construction pile driver at 8 am awful noise left after one night Hotel has an awkward layout. S mall rooms. Avoid this hotel overpriced and noisy. Arrived at 4 pm and had to wait one hour. They hàve.notices on the rooms apologizing for the noise.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 313164
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
I am sorry we did not meet or exceed your expectations. You are correct in noting there is construction on the corner next to the hotel. However, there are plenty of days there is no noise or impact to our hotel. It is unfortunate during your visit they started work early. I wish we had some type of control on their starting time, but it is beyond my control.
Your business is important to us and I hope this incident does not deter you from visiting us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
memphis
Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I was embarrassed that this was my choice for a hotel and that my friend and I paid over $400/night for our stay. Staff was not especially friendly - other than our bellman. I can forgive construction noise from next door which I understand is out of the hotels control, but our room was dark, cramped and the carpet was wet in spots upon arrival- unknown wet hotel carpet?! Gross. In fact it seems like the whole place needed to be recarpeted. Also the A/C is old and kept turning on and off every few minutes. Otherwise our room was clean- what I could see since it was so dark- and beds were comfy. Yes location is good but with so many options in downtown I would never stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank ellis38103
Thank you for your feedback. I understand Charleston lodging can be very pricey especially March-April-May during our peak season so I can see how something less than perfect would impact your stay.I am quite concerned about the problems you mentioned during your visit. We have been newly renovated and basically nothing is very old; I certainly apologize for your less than pleasant stay.
Deerfield, Illinois, United States
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Overall there is nothing outstanding about this hotel. The rooms were small, construction is going on next door and it was a little pricey for what it is.

The location was nice because we can walk to everything, but that wasn't enough to make me want to say at this hotel again.

We stayed at the Indigo last time and had free breakfast every morning and happy hour. The rooms were bigger and it was less expensive.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Kelli P
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thank you for your candid review. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. Overall, I hope you enjoyed your trip to Charleston. Thank you for your feedback.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I generally use booking agents and find that their rates are comparable with what the hotel charges. Not for this one though!!! I would rate the King Charles as just "so so" for what I paid through an agent, but "terrific" for what it cost to book direct - a HUGE price difference! Take the trouble to call the hotel before making a reservation.......you won't be sorry!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing this wonderful tip with others! Booking on line thru a hotel website or calling the hotel directly will always ensure the best rate is given! We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed your visit to Charleston!
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here last March and returned last week. They provide excellent accommodations. The hotel is located within walking distance of the historic district and there is free wifi and parking. Since last year, there is a new lounge area where one can relax in front of a fireplace and also a new lounge area where breakfast is served. The rooms are spotless and well decorated. There is construction going next store but that isn't a problem since one is usually out and about during the day. I plan to return again.

Stayed March 2014
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Thank you for making the excellent decision to return to the King Charles Inn! We sincerely appreciate your loyalty! I am thrilled to hear you are pleased with our newly renovated Upper Lobby and BREW Pub & Café! Thank you again for the nice review and we hope to see you again!
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed March 20, 2014

This is a good choice as it is very convenient & you can walk everywhere. The parking below was great. I felt the room to be a bit tight. My suitcase is large and there was nowhere to put in down on the floor except between the two beds. I stayed for two nights with a teenage son and we were disappointed that the pool was closed. The construction next door was also a negative. I found this hotel to be quirky to enter and exit. Either through the parking garage or if coming through the main lobby, we had to go up the steps then outside past the pool, passing through a door before our wing where there seemed to be painters working at all times. I also prefer a gym on premises. It was clean and the bathroom was a nice size.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. We appreciate your business and hope you enjoyed your trip to Charleston. Thank you for your honest feedback.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Just spend a long weekend in Charleston at the King Charles Inn. This is a fantastic hotel. Incredibly well located (you can walk to most everything) and the service was impeccable from booking through check out. After booking, they send you an email where you can request concierge service in advance of your arrival. They made tour and dinner reservations for us so all was taken care of when we arrived. Every staff member that we interacted with was friendly and helpful. The room was really nice - with a large bathroom; it was very clean and comfortable. Also, the free parking was a big help!!! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you so much for the feedback during your recent stay! We pride ourselves on doing whatever we can to ensure all of our guests feel attended to, engaged and satisfied from the booking process to the checkout process! It seems like you were able to experience the genuine hospitality Charleston is known for! Thank you again for choosing the King Charles Inn!