“What a great find!”

King Charles Inn
Ranked #17 of 62 Hotels in Charleston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I usually stay at another well known, historical hotel whenever I come to Charleston. Because of Fall events, all the prices went up and my friend and I decided to stay at this one. WHAT A GREAT SURPRISE! The rooms were big and updated. Nice bedding. The bathrooms were really big with good amenities. The staff were so great to us. They have a Wine & cheese time (the disappointment was you had to buy your own wine.). Nice pool (we didn't use it but looked good). The location as excellent...a quick block to King Street. 1/2 block to the Slave Market. Lots of good restaurants to walk to. The little upscale mall is in the next block. Breakfast is not included but we liked to try out different restaurants anyway. They do have a small breakfast place. Oh yes, parking is FREE! Hard to find in Charleston! Would I stay there again? You bet! I only put an average on the spa because I really don't know.

Room Tip: If you can, ask for a street view.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn! We would love your future business when you return to Charleston! Thank you for the glowing review!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,963)

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This hotel is GREAT! We parked our car and never returned to it until we packed it to go home. Because the BW is in such a great location we could access stores, restaurants, the Market Place and the glorius historic district easily by walking. I recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone who wants a comfortable, quiet and centrally located place to stay. They offer breakfast which I understand was delicious. The staff was accommodating and knowledgeable. I will definitely stay here the next time I visit this wonderful city.

Room Tip: My daughter said she didn't even feel as if she was in a hotel because it was so clean. Just li...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank xmln43v
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your kind words! Our housekeeping staff takes such great pride in their rooms; I'm glad you noticed and I will certainly share your feedback with them! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

An excellent hotel. Our room was spacious with all facilities. All the staff, without exception seemed delighted to be working at this hotel - which made our stay particularly pleasant. The free parking and obviously wi fi were an excellent addition. The breakfasts were reasonably priced - one for the well stocked cold buffet and another which gave access to hot food. We found the cold buffet was more than adequate. The hotel is ideally located. I was not particularly mobile having recently had knee surgery - but I was able to walk to the market which is just a few yards down the road. King Street, situated just behind the hotel is closed to cars on the 2nd Sunday of the month and we spent a delightful morning walking down the road - which seemed to be "doggy heaven" as everyone brought their dogs out for a stroll. There are plenty of restaurants within a very short walking distance. We were booked in for 4 nights at the hotel and the only downside was the extraordinarily huge hike in prices over the weekend!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2012

Thank you for your kind review! I am thrilled you enjoyed your visit to Charleston!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

My wife and I just completed a 4 day visit to Charleston. We parked the car when we arrived and never needed it again during our visit. As senior travelers, the hotels location was perfect for walking to most attractions, up and down the wonderful old streets, and and to an unlimited choice of restaurants. We utilized several tours, whose convenient hotel pickup and drop off made sight seeing very easy. Great location and friendly staff put this property on our must return to list!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

I am so glad you were able to take advantage of the Charleston Tours pick up at our hotel! This company does a fine job and we are proud to use them! I always suggest the first time visitor take a City tour to become familiar with the layout of the land; then enjoy the walkable city by foot! Thank you for choosing the King Charles Inn!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is not a "normal" Best Western motel. The location of the inn is great - just a block from the Market Place and within walking distance of the Historic Distict. It is also only a short walk to the visitors center, but you really don't need to go to the visitors center as the staff at this hotel can answer any of your questions. If they don't know, they will find out for you immediately. There is also a free city trolley stop directly across the street that will take you to the highlights of the historic district as well as the Aquarium. We had not been to Charleston in about 25 years and had stayed at this hotel in 1985. We returned as we remembered the location and lovely rooms. The room's furniture and bathrooms have all been very nicely updated - very recently - and although the rooms are a bit small, the furnishings are lovely and there is a very nice size and well appointed bathroom. There is a nice patio and small swimming pool. We did eat breakfast there one morning and it was fine but not free - a $10.00 charge. The free parking was another plus as we arrived on Monday around lunch time and parked and never moved the car until we left on Thursday morning. I cannot say enough great things about this hotel. The staff is friendly, efficient and greeted us with a "welcome back" whenever we returned. We will stay here whenever we return to Charleston.
Thanks King Charles Inn for making our stay in Charleston that much better!

Room Tip: a second floor room saves taking the elevator and a somewhat convoluted walk to the third floor room...
1  Thank NewOrleansfirstgal

I am so proud of my staff! They enjoy helping the guests with restaurant recommendations, tours and directions...thanks for allowing us to be part of your special trip! Have a great day!

Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Wonderful location! Staff very friendly and helpful! Rooms were on the small side, but very clean, comfortable and lovely! My husband, 7 year old daughter and I were all quite happy here. Free parking too.

• Stayed: October 2012
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with others! We sincerely appreciate your business!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I just came back from our third trip to Charleston, as we just love this city!! We have stayed in different places each trip but after this trip, we will not stay anywhere else but the Best Western King Charles Inn!!! This hotel exceeded our expectations. We arrived early - 11am and asked for early check in. Due to the hotel being sold out, they did not have a room ready and told us they would call when one was ready. I figured - yeah, sure, they'll call around 3 - the normal check in. We just sat down to lunch and they called and said our room was ready!!! We finished our lunch and went to check in. We stayed in room 306 - bags were already brought in and waiting for us!! No real "view" from the room -but we didn't come to Charleston to look out our window! We stayed from Sunday thru Friday and hated to go home. Every single staff member greeted us courtesously and with a smile. Our room was always kept clean and fresh. The afternoon happy hour with munchies was very nice. We had breakfast there twice and although you do pay $10.00 a person for the full buffet, it was quite nice, as again so was the breakfast area staff. The location is fantastic -within walking distance of most everything including the grocery store. I felt very safe here which is important to me. My husband and I will not stay anywhere else when we return to Charleston. Thanks again to the staff at the Best Western King Charles Inn who made our stay so fantastic! Can't wait to see you all again! PS beds were really comfortable! ScarletBuffalo_NY

3  Thank ScarletBuffalo_NY
KCIGM, General Manager at King Charles Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful compliments! It sounds like our service, value, location and cleanliness won you over! We are excited to hear you will be returning in the future! A happy guest is always a repeat guest! Thanks again and have a great day!