Beautiful house in a wonderful surroundings. It is a hidden gem. We absolutely had a great time here. I love the porch and the view. Also, many birds, deers, turtles...around. Just beautiful, private, We will definitely stay here again when we visit Charleston next time.
On first arrival, the location might seem uninspiring -- a house in the middle of a field at the end of a dirt road -- but it's truly a special place. Peaceful, no close neighbors, no traffic, a constant sea breeze that keeps it cool even when it's stinkin' hot out and a birdwatcher's paradise. During our two days at the house, we saw egrets, hawks, cranes, herons, terns, pelicans and many others all visiting the small pond on the property and enjoyed the nightly frog serenade. Charleston is a pleasant 25 minute drive away, several beaches nearby, and lots more to explore in the area, but you may have trouble not just relaxing on the wrap around porch.
To say we were disappointed with the house would be a bit of an understatement. We really just feel that the listing and pictures were very misleading and don’t feel it was worth the price.
Here are some things we noticed:
- Windows are so drafty sitting on the couch is cold and uncomfortable.
- the bedrooms are so cold at night because all the freezing air comes in - we had to go and buy more blankets and sleep in sweatshirts.
- there is black mold on the ceiling in the master bath
- The outside of the house is dirty and run down looking, and 100s of mud dobber nests on the ceilings and decking.
- Advertised as sleeps 8, but the pull out bed is in the master so no one can sleep on that unless it’s your kid (not specific in listing)
- found a used band aid and holes in the upstairs queen room bedroom sheets.
- Opened one kitchen cabinet to find piles of glass shards, like a tempered glass had broken- which fell all over the ground and cut my husbands foot
- the living room couches are old, sunken in, and uncomfortable
- the downstairs bathroom has a shower head that is zip tied so if you run the water at full flow the whole floor gets wet - because you can’t adjust it.
- the second bedroom upstairs has no shower so the guests in that room have to either use the master or shower downstairs
- no trees have any things to pick, the outside is just walking around a yard nothing to explore as advertised
- no river view as advertised on trip advisor
A few positive things:
- nicely stocked kitchen and linens
- updated, nice appliances
- comfortable beds
- clean interior
While we certainly wouldn’t expect perfection, we just felt the trip advisor listing grossly misrepresents what you’re really renting and it was not at all worth the price.
May I also suggest that in the email you send with information about the house prior to arriving that you list the closest grocery stores, items provided (we ran out of toilet paper and paper towels), and some restaurants that are close by. That information would’ve been super helpful to us prior to our arrival.
I tried to reach out to the owner about these issues and he did not respond.
Family reunion every year and we chose Charleston this year. There is a lot of space for 8 of us (including 2 kids). The view is so nice. Kitchen is well equipped. The road is dirt road but once you arrive, it is worth it. There are many outdoor chairs to hang out on the porch. We saw eagles, deer, ducks... and our kids enjoyed the show. We did not want to leave at all. This is definitely a place for FAMILY GATHERING!
Our stay was very relaxing. The accommodation is outstanding. Location is secluded without presenting any logistical issues. Scenery as nice and the pond with Ibis, frogs, and, yes, Egrets was a constant source of wonder.
Great for family and/or friends any time of the year.
We do hope to return.
Such a beautiful setting and home. We were in Charleston for a family wedding and this was the perfect getaway that we needed for relief of the hustle and bustle of everything. The home and property were absolutely beautiful and so very peaceful. Not too far of a drive to get to Charleston or the surrounding areas, but far enough away so you could get away from it all. If we ever get back to the Charleston area, then we will definitely try to stay here again.
Absolutely loved it. The house is beautiful. Pretty much everything you need to man it the perfect home away from home. I absolutely fell in love with the bed in the master bedroom. So comfortable. Thinking about making it a tradition and spending Thanksgiving here every year. Thank you for sharing your beautiful house with us!!!