“Well designed & thought out!”

Children's Museum of the Lowcountry
Ranked #72 of 235 things to do in Charleston
Isla Mujeres
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Well designed & thought out!”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

A highlight of every visit to Charleston is a trip to the Children's Museum. It cost us $7 per person, $28 total. Our children 6 & almost 3 loved every minute we spent here. We always start out in the golf ball room learning about the laws of motion then on to the water room fitted with smocks & non-skid pads, they learn about locks & rain storms & play with every boat imaginable then it is off to the shrimp boat where you can dress up like pirates & take the helm (it's always hard to leave this room) but the next one is like a mini Publix. Our son loved playing cashier checking everyone out with their groceries while our daughter had a ball in toddler space with a few other 2 year olds. Then we head off to the Castle to dress up as Knights & Princesses. This trip we never made it to the art room. The kids had met too many new friends that they were playing Castle with to do anything else! My daughter & I did check out the outside area with the fire truck & gardens before we headed out for lunch.

We try to visit Charleston once a year & throughout that year after our visit & before our next our son can not stop talking about just how much fun he has at the "kids museum". This was the first time our daughter was old enough to really understand just how much fun it is! I highly recommend a visit if you are in Charleston,

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Tiffany-WolrabRoil

jmckinnon497
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Crowded, and expensive”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

It was super crowded, we had to be on a waiting list to go in, which is not their fault. It was expensive I thought for the amount of stuff. Also the people that worked there for the summer camps had no cOntrol over the children. Don't get me started on parents that don't watch their own kids.

2 Thank jmckinnon497
Marietta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Fun and Creative Place”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We visited on a rainy day during our trip to Folly Beach, and had a great time. The museum is quite small with an awkward long and narrow layout; but they make great use of the space and it never felt overly crowded. The activities range from a fully stocked mock Publix grocery store (our favorite) to a super fun crafts room that is loaded with more than enough supplies to make whatever your kids can imagine. There is also a room set aside for toddlers, a story/dress-up room and a cool “science” experience. The price is very reasonable, and there is a small snack area in case you need to re-charge. While we have been to bigger and slightly more innovative children’s museums, this one is definitely worth a visit, especially on a rainy non-beach day!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Georgiahuskerfan
Charleston, South Carolina
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Not Bad, Not Great...”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I so want to give this place a good review. One of my old college professors was one of the people in charge of creating this place and I know she spent a lot of time researching other museums to get an idea of what to put into this one...
I went a few years ago, and took my then 6 year old cousin. He had fun - he wasn't over the top thrilled, and he certainly had no problems leaving...
I went again today with my young toddler daughter. I was disappointed in the toddler play area in the back - everything in the play area was typical wooden toys and activity centers you would find in a daycare (as a matter of fact most of the toys are in her daycare!). I wish they would have made this more of a fun, interactive, discovery place for the toddlers and not a generic kindergarten classroom.
The other exhibits are nice, and fun - my daughter enjoyed the pirate ship and castle - she is still a bit too young for the Publix grocery store.
I do keep in mind that this is a small childrens museum and it only costs $7 per person to get in. It was fun....but not the best.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank EricaWV
West Hartford, Connecticut
167 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Small, tidy childrens museum”
Reviewed July 22, 2011

good museum, bit on the small side, but worth a few hour visit. Exhibits were pretty good and included medieval dress up area, pirate ship, grocery store, newtonian physics ball area (had to drag kids away). Exhibits were in good shape despite the crowds.

2 Thank Int_Bus_Travel