“The worst tour and tour guide ever”
Review of Doin' the Charleston Tours - CLOSED

Doin' the Charleston Tours
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Marvin has to be the worst tour guide ever. When my husband and I boarded the bus, Marvin had his tools and personal items on the front 4 seats. When my husband asked why we couldn't sit there, his comment was "because I said so." How rude!! I asked about the tours of the two houses, which were included in the combo package, Marvin said you had to visit them on your own. No other explanation. The brochure is very deceiving. Beware! Marvin's style is one of arrogance and self-indulgence. At one point on the bus tour, my husband was looking at the map and because he wasn't paying attention to Marvin, he reached out and kicked my husband's foot, as to get his attention. We are adluts here and not children. We would never recommend "Doin the Charleston" tour company or Marvin the tour guide.

3  Thank Marlene L

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been on tours all over the world and Marvin has to be the worst. His presentation was memorized with no inflections and he stopped in the middle of sentences, then continued. Any questions we asked, were answered rudely and incompletely. Any attempt to talk to him before the tour left was ignored. Only my four friends and I were on the tour.He acted bored stiff. I certainly would not reccommend this tour.

1  Thank monro006
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Marvin does know his Charleston history and stories. However, his style leaves a lot to be desired. He seems to think himself exceptionally witty. Moreover, he could do without the political and bordering-on-racist commentary.

2  Thank Richard_CLE
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My wife and I did this tour on 9-2-2012. We found Marvin, our guide to be quite informative, charming and entertaining. He is very knowledgeable of the area and the history of Charleston. The video and audio aids in the van were most helpful in assisting us to decide which places to go back to in order to see and tour farther. Charleston is a charming place and loaded with history, and we felt this would be the best way to get a feel for things as it was our first visit there. We were not disappointed. We highly recommend this tour and Marvin. Do have your camera ready and you may even want to take a pen and pad to take notes on some of the places you will visit. Dale and Penny, NC

2  Thank Dale W
843CharlestonTours, Owner at Doin' the Charleston Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Thanks so much for joining us on a tour, Dale and Penny, and sharing your experiences with others. We were delighted to have you with us and look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Charleston!

See more reviews
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Sad to say, we made a mistake with this one. Marvin the owner/tour guide did his homework but his presentation was poor. I felt like I was in grade school again. His sense of humor was odd and he made fun of us when we didn't respond the way he expected. He even had the nerve to ask us for tips. We passed other tour buses and carriages that were packed. There were 6 people on ours. I would not recommend this tour.

1  Thank Eileen B