“A True Treat!!!”

Gullah Tours
Ranked #45 of 236 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: On our GULLAH TOUR we give an interesting glimpse into an ancient culture of these mysterious people descending from way across da water. Gullah people are the direct blood descendants of the slaves brought to the Lowcountry regions of South Carolina and Georgia; including both the coastal plain and the Sea Islands. These peculiar people were brought to Charleston by way of cargo slave ships. Charleston held the largest slave market in the United States where the Gullah culture & language continues this very day.
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Take the other tours first and then take Mr. Brown's for dessert. He is truly an amazing storyteller and tour guide. Alphonso Brown steeps you in the culture of the Gullah as soon as you enter the bus. I will never pronounce "Character" the same way. I have taken Mr. Brown's Tour 3 times and I learn more each time I go.

One highlight for me is going to Mr. Simmons House, he is a National Treasure, but having Mr. Brown explain how he has helped his community is inspiring.

2  Thank Cheryla222_13
"al miller"
in 4 reviews
"hour tour"
in 15 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 10 reviews
"well worth the money"
in 7 reviews
"wealth of information"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The Gullah Tour narrated by Alphonso Brown was rich in culture,history, and dialect. His intertwined humor-filled storytelling with facts added a lot of flavor. At the conclusion of the two hour tour,you are wishing for more. I highly recommend this tour and would definitely do it again.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

I've been to Charleston several times before, so I admit I was a little hesitant to take this tour. I figured it would be a rehash of sites I'd already seen. I was wrong.

This tour was educational, informative and fun. Mr. Brown was knowledgeable and entertaining. Well worth the time!

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Mr. Brown was not only very entertaining during this tour, he also provided wonderful information! I appreciated every minute of this tour, especially the visit to Mr. Phillip Simmons' home. Thank you Mr. Brown!