“Great Bar”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Cumberland & Queen
Description: Offering Charleston’s largest selection of wines by the glass, Social has become the preeminent wine bar of Charleston. Social is housed in a nineteenth century warehouse and features a stunning four-thousand bottle display cellar. Complementing its extensive wine selection, Social serves modern American cuisine.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Had a great time here on a recent Friday night. The bar and restaurant were packed, but we arrived early and were able to get seats at the bar before it filled up. The bartender, Fant, was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about their extensive wine list and made great suggestions. We shared several different appetizers and all were delicious. We especially enjoyed their wood-fired pizzas. Would definitely return next time in Charleston.

1  Thank Claudia I

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Looking for something different and also hunting some Vino while in Charleston this week and happened across the Social Restaurant and Wine Bar. Score. The wine list has a lot of varieties and they offer flights as well for those who like to mix and match. The menu is smaller, but the five entrees listed for that evening looked pretty awesome. I went with the slow cooked pork cheeks and they were excellent. The wife enjoyed one of their made from scratch pizzas (some sort of shrimp and pesto concoction) and found it to be very very good. Our server Emily was attentive and good at making suggestions. The place is open and energetic, and the younger crowd definitely was hanging out at the bar. Great overall scene, definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank cwbunger32
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This place is hip. We went on a Saturday night of a Spring Break week. My husband and I were definitely the oldest people here (we’re in our mid 50’s) but we were treated well. Our experience in Charleston is that the hostess is usually surly. How can that be? Shouldn’t the College of Charleston be able to generate personable, well groomed, reasonably hard working front of house staff? So far, we say no. However our hostess was all of those things and a refreshing change.

But I digress. The place is noisy (people were 4 deep at the bar), has handsome decor and an interesting and affordable menu. Our server was great, the food was all really good and sophisticated. Thin crust pizzas, yummy “snacks” and small plates and entrees. We shared crimini mushroom pizza w truffle oil and goat cheese, beet bruschetta w ricotta and shallots and confit pork cheeks w br sprouts crispy potatoes, mushrooms, pork jus. My initial read was that this was an attractive bar that also serves food. But I enjoyed everything. Some of the best food anywhere. I’m not usually a dessert eater, but the coconut semifreddo that tasted more like key lime was very delectable. Creamy, dreamy and reasonable. Great way to end a meal. The decible level was the only problem. I would certainly go back - but on a Tuesday. Might be quieter.

1  Thank Mary Ellen L
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We sat at the bar and had appetizers, that we're delicious! However, it was the bartenders that made our experience awesome!! Fant, John and Ryan were da bomb!!! Great service and great drinks!!

1  Thank Ginagreg218
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Nice atmosphere and wine selections but slow service. I didn't have a chance to eat here but will give this place another chance on my next visit.

1  Thank rld_vol