“Hip and Homey”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Cumberland & Queen
Description: Offering Charleston’s largest selection of wines by the glass, Social has become the preeminent wine bar of Charleston. Social is housed in a nineteenth century warehouse and features a stunning four-thousand bottle display cellar. Complementing its extensive wine selection, Social serves modern American cuisine.
Jenkintown, Pennsylvania
“Hip and Homey”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This place is hip. We went on a Saturday night of a Spring Break week. My husband and I were definitely the oldest people here (we’re in our mid 50’s) but we were treated well. Our experience in Charleston is that the hostess is usually surly. How can that be? Shouldn’t the College of Charleston be able to generate personable, well groomed, reasonably hard working front of house staff? So far, we say no. However our hostess was all of those things and a refreshing change.

But I digress. The place is noisy (people were 4 deep at the bar), has handsome decor and an interesting and affordable menu. Our server was great, the food was all really good and sophisticated. Thin crust pizzas, yummy “snacks” and small plates and entrees. We shared crimini mushroom pizza w truffle oil and goat cheese, beet bruschetta w ricotta and shallots and confit pork cheeks w br sprouts crispy potatoes, mushrooms, pork jus. My initial read was that this was an attractive bar that also serves food. But I enjoyed everything. Some of the best food anywhere. I’m not usually a dessert eater, but the coconut semifreddo that tasted more like key lime was very delectable. Creamy, dreamy and reasonable. Great way to end a meal. The decible level was the only problem. I would certainly go back - but on a Tuesday. Might be quieter.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Mary Ellen L

Melbourne, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love the bar atmosphere!!”
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We sat at the bar and had appetizers, that we're delicious! However, it was the bartenders that made our experience awesome!! Fant, John and Ryan were da bomb!!! Great service and great drinks!!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Ginagreg218
Arlington, Virginia
“Atmosphere”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Nice atmosphere and wine selections but slow service. I didn't have a chance to eat here but will give this place another chance on my next visit.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank rld_vol
“Social on East Bay”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I went for a glass of wine and an appetizer on a rainy day with my girlfriend and we stayed almost two hours talking and enjoying the food. The place was not crowded probably because of the bad weather outside, but I have been there a few times, and I remember that it is quite a busy bar especially on Saturday nights. This place is for people older than college-age. They have dim lights for romantic dining in the area with tables (and a small tv screen next to the bar showing some sport event). They have a nice wine list the glass which is perfect for a quick toast and chat, and a long list of wines by the bottle, mainly from smaller producers, which needs some exploration and appreciation.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank travelsafer
Marion, Indiana
“HAPPY HOUR FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Great drinks and their HAPPY HOUR can't be beat!!! Service always fast and courteous and a GREAT VALUE for your cost!!

Visited February 2014