“Highlight of Our Trip”

Ed Grimball's Walking Tour of Historic Charleston
Ranked #59 of 224 Tours in Charleston
More attraction details
Owner description: Ed Grimball is a 12th generation Charlestonian whose family settled on Edisto Island in 1682 and has been here ever since. Ed opened his walking tour business in 1996 and would consider it a privilege to personally show you his city.Your tour will explore the cracks and crevices of old, beautiful Charleston, touching on many subjects such as the Civil War, the Great Earthquake, the Preservation Movement, and our magnificent architecture. Must sees on your tour include the Four Corners of Law, the Battery, and Rainbow Row.
La Grange, Illinois
“Highlight of Our Trip”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This is my first review ever on Trip Advisor, but I wanted stop and pass along what a wonderful time we had on Ed Grimball's tour. There is something special about hearing from someone who is in love with his topic. Ed loves Charleston, and after you take his tour you'll see the town in a different way. We were a group of nine and to a person Ed's trip was the highlight of the week. Be sure to ask him what the plural of "y'all" is. I've been using that word since we returned north. I really can't recommend Ed's tour enough. Charleston, too, is a wonderful town full of very friendly people. We'll be back to see Charleston and Ed again.

Visited July 2013

Emsworth, UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Undemanding and entertaining tour, but a little short on information"”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I've been on lots of walking tours in cities around the world, but it is difficult to remember such a throughly nice man as Ed Grimball. My wife and I picked his tour from the many on offer and we throughly enjoyed the time we spent in his company. He was charming, laid back and worked hard to get interaction within the group. We strolled through the quieter parts of the historic district, with Ed sharing entertaining stories or pointing out interesting features along the way. Ed is obviously proud of his city and very knowledgable - but here's the rub. Despite all the warmth and amusement, the content of his walk was decidedly thin on the historical content. He pointedly avoided any reference to politics and religion and seemed reluctant to be drawn on any historical controversy. Instead, we heard a series of unconnected anecdotes which although often quaint and amusing, did not help us make sense of the many contradictions in Charleston's fascinating past. However, all was almost forgiven after we checked out his recommendation of the and cheapest "fish and chips' lunch in Charleston at a particular English style pub. In this at least, he was absolutely spot on! If you are looking for an undemanding and entertaining tour with an excellent guide who will do his utmost to look after you, then this is for you. However, if you are expecting any sense of historical overview or more detailed information, you will probably be better off looking elsewhere. Sorry Ed.

Visited June 2013
Glenview, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“The unofficial 'mayor' of Charleston---highly recommend Ed's Tour”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I recently returned from our first ever trip to Charleston. Upon doing some research and wanting to take advantage of the available history and walkability of this fine city, we landed on scheduling a walking tour with Mr. Ed Grimball. And let me tell you there was not one moment of the tour that we were disappointed.

First, Mr. Grimball is a 12th generation native Charlestonian. The history of his family in itself I'm certain would be an interesting story. Beyond being a native, Mr. Grimball is intelligent, knowledgeable, passionate, charming, and demonstrates superb etiquette. From the first moment it is clear you have not only a qualified tour guide to lead you through historic Charleston but also someone who wakes up every morning jazzed to go to work.

The tour spans just a shade over 3 hours and is basically a loop through the historic district beginning in the Waterfront Park and ending just beyond the East Battery. Along the way Mr. Grimball will very purposely educate his group of the many historic landmarks however goes well beyond the type of information you could read in a tour book or download to your phone---he lets his city tell "her" story and at moments takes you back to feeling like an 8-year old child taking a walk with your grandfather. It was not until after his tour did I start to realize how deliberate it was delivered----for each stop and story along the way was captured and perfected through his 20-plus years of experience.

In reading through some of the other feedback it's clear almost everyone else has had a similar experience. It is, after all, why we selected to tour with Mr. Grimball in the first place. In closing regarding the title about Mr. Grimball being the unofficial "mayor" of Charleston---on the stroll I'm sure you will encounter a construction worker, policeman, mailman, shop owner, politician, lawyer, rival tour guide, or fisherman who will stop and say hello to Ed. It just further reassures you that this tour is special and that you are walking with a true ambassador of Charleston.

3 Thank Matt C
scottsdale
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great Introduction to Charleston”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

If this is your first visit to Charleston the first thing you should do is get a sense of history about the city and acquaint yourself with the historic district. The ONLY person to do this is Ed Grimball! He is an expert on all things Charleston and he provides an excellent experience, imparting his knowledge to you. Now he does this in a slower paced way so if you need some fast talking and fast walking person he is NOT your guy. But if you're willing to slow down and relax and go with the flow for three hours then look no further. He is your man. And I promise you you will not be disappointed.

3 Thank dontcallmeillcallyou
Charleston, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Romancing the city of Charleston”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I cannot even begin to think about the right words to describe the exquisite experience I had on Ed’s tour. First of all it all started last year when I came to Charleston to work on a contract and decided to take a walking tour of this fascinating city, which I instantly fell in love with. I took a Saturday tour, not with Ed, but another tour guide. Unfortunately I did not care for the style of that particular tour guide. About half way through the tour I noticed another group closely following us. I immediately felt drawn to the nice relaxing style and pace of that white bearded southern gentleman - Ed. He just looked so organically intertwined with the very essence of Charleston the way I saw it. I finished my walking tour and managed to get Ed’s name out of our tour guide without being impolite. :-) It took me the whole year to actually arrange for the walking tour with Ed and he totally lived up to and way above my expectations. He absolutely adores this city, which he refers to as “She”, by the way. :-) It is a very long slow pace relaxing walk, which invites you to live and breathe a fantastically reach history and the deep and gentle soul of this old and beautiful city. This tour will offer you a unique opportunity to see Charleston through the eyes of the man who is passionately in love with “Her”.

1 Thank 170lona